Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 3, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #4,261 of 6,486
#4215 of 4260
12 hours ago
Music Alchemist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribbs View Post

This is the type of technical discussion I like to see, and precisely why I was baffled about some of the experiences others had.

I think you need to do your own on the EL-8!!!!!

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #4,262 of 6,486
Before we get to sound, let me just comment on the aesthetics and build quality. When you're spending this kind of money on a headphone, you naturally want something built to last 20 years, and make a great visual statement. I think audeze has done both here with the el-8. The hardware is an all metal and wood construction and it just feels outstanding. Nothing creaks, bends, or rattles here. It's solid. Finishing is just top notch, and vastly superior to my former headphone, the Hifiman he-400. It's no comparison here, the el-8 is a piece of jewelry in the headphone world, and sets a new bar for the company (even with its summit-fi lineup).

thanks for giving your impression of the el-8 (elate) closed back.  Your description of the experience is very similiar to mine at CanJam last Saturday.  I have also listened to the open back but prefer the closed.  I spoke to Audeze today and found they are shipping the inital batch of closed back the first of next week with the dealers taking delivery Wed-Thurs.  

I will be listening to a second gen  lcd-2 this weekend but will most likely be back to demo the el-8 (closed back) next week to decide.

btw - where did you hear the elate?

jhv  
atsmile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #4,263 of 6,486
 btw - where did you hear the elate?

I bought directly from Audeze :)  I know I should always have a listen first, but it was risk worth taking (and one that paid off!)

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,265 of 6,486
  Is EL-8 really pronounced Elate??? Just placed my order for the closed back. I'll post my impressions once I get them.

I've been wondering this myself.  Happy coincidence!?  Either way, I'm elated with my EL-8 closed back purchase!

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #4,268 of 6,486
In all the videos I've seen, it was pronounced "ee ell ate" -- just like it looks.

The "ee ell ate" really does tempt me, so I can hear the Audeze take on deep bass. However it would be wiser, if I save up and get the HE-6, which is to have fantastic sub bass. But for now I can not wait for my ETHER's to arrive.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4,269 of 6,486
The "ee ell ate" really does tempt me, so I can hear the Audeze take on deep bass. However it would be wiser, if I save up and get the HE-6, which is to have fantastic sub bass. But for now I can not wait for my ETHER's to arrive.

Since you already have the Ragnarok, you won't need to worry about an amp for the HE-6, so that's a plus. The ETHER does seem pretty interesting. If you come across any comparisons (uh-oh, Music Alchemist did it again!) of the ETHER with the HD 800, HE-6, Audeze, etc., feel free to message me about it.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #4,270 of 6,486
Elate is just what the very hip people are calling them :wink_face:. I was asking you as Audeze told me Thurs that had not shipped them yet...

jhv

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,271 of 6,486
Elate is just what the very hip people are calling them
wink_face.gif
. I was asking you as Audeze told me Thurs that had not shipped them yet...

jhv

Hmm...maybe that's just to the dealers?  I placed my order last Saturday, and had the El-8s in my hands Thursday morning.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4,272 of 6,486
For anyone who is interested:

15% off with code HappyEars on all headphones from Sonic Electronix, which is an authorized Audeze retailer

Works with the EL-8 which brings the price down to $599

However the EL-8 is on order and not currently in stock, expected shipping is within April

If anyone can afford to wait you can save $100 on a brand new pair

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #4,273 of 6,486
  For anyone who is interested:

15% off with code HappyEars on all headphones from Sonic Electronix, which is an authorized Audeze retailer

Works with the EL-8 which brings the price down to $599

However the EL-8 is on order and not currently in stock, expected shipping is within April

If anyone can afford to wait you can save $100 on a brand new pair

I was just talking to someone from Sonic Electronix about that. Great deal! Hope I can get in on it in time. It's supposed to expire a month or so from now.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #4,274 of 6,486
I was just talking to someone from Sonic Electronix about that. Great deal! Hope I can get in on it in time. It's supposed to expire a month or so from now.

Just do it now and pimp yourself out to pay the bill:) I am actually being more and more swayed to the hd800.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back