Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #4,111 of 6,486
  Thanks so much for the impression! :)

A few question,

Can you please compare the sound signature of the EL-8 and your HD700? I am more interested in the closed version.

Have you heard other closed back that bested both the EL-8 and Oppo PM-3?

It's really hard comparing an open headphone to a closed one. My HD700 is better than the EL-8 in my opinion. The open EL-8 is preferrable to the closed version ofcourse.
And no, I have yet to hear a closed back headphone that's better than the EL-8. I haven't heard any in this price range though.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #4,112 of 6,486

As a closer I also tried the open version of the EL-8 and while they sounded better than the closed version (for obvious reasons) they didn't sound better than my HD700, in my opinion, and that's all I wanted to know. (They were also straight out of the box, so no burn in, and I only listened for about 10 minutes to the open back.)

Damn, In my country prices are HD700 for $600 and the EL-8 is $1000.  Could you go into more detail about open EL-8 vs HD700?

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4,114 of 6,486
I wish people would stop taking about burn in. Besides, Audeze already posted that the phones are "burnt in" at the factory.

some ppl think that's important, so i thought it was nice thing to include in his review.

daphen great first impressions review! enjoyable read. from the way you described the bass description on the piano notes, it sounds like you're saying that the pm3s have more bass quantity and more sub-bass extension?

wld love to hear more impressions if you decide to hold onto both for a while. a lot of times you can pick up more subtle differences after you gave more headtime w em :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #4,115 of 6,486

Damn, In my country prices are HD700 for $600 and the EL-8 is $1000.  Could you go into more detail about open EL-8 vs HD700?

Well, I have like 500 hours on my HD700 and about 10 minutes on the open EL-8, haha, I just prefer the HD700s clarity, bass and mid range, although they can be a bit harsh in the highs sometimes, I fixed that with a teeny tiny bit of EQ, but I don't think it's needed really, I just did it as an experiment and left it like that. :) 

The EL-8 feel more luxorious than the HD700 though and they're much bigger. The HD700 is so light that I can't really feel them on my head.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4,116 of 6,486
some ppl think that's important, so i thought it was nice thing to include in his review.

@daphen great first impressions review! enjoyable read. from the way you described the bass description on the piano notes, it sounds like you're saying that the pm3s have more bass quantity and more sub-bass extension?

wld love to hear more impressions if you decide to hold onto both for a while. a lot of times you can pick up more subtle differences after you gave more headtime w em
smily_headphones1.gif

I listened at a store with an audition room for about 90 minutes, I don't have both at home. :) 
I don't think it has greater sub-bass extension really, it's just that you can feel every time the lows hit on the Oppos because the quantity of the bass is so grand.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,117 of 6,486
As a closer I also tried the open version of the EL-8 and while they sounded better than the closed version (for obvious reasons) they didn't sound better than my HD700, in my opinion, and that's all I wanted to know.

This is the final nail in the coffin for me, since I'm getting my HD 700 in a few hours and probably an HE-500 soon after. After having both of those, summit-fi is the only logical next step for me, though I'm always interested in hearing all sorts of headphones, including the EL-8. I really love the way it looks! And the fact that one person I know liked the EL-8 more than the LCD series with metal music is quite impressive to me.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4,118 of 6,486
  I listened at a store with an audition room for about 90 minutes, I don't have both at home. :) 
I don't think it has greater sub-bass extension really, it's just that you can feel every time the lows hit on the Oppos because the quantity of the bass is so grand.

Is there THAT much difference between the EL-8 and the Oppo regarding bass quantity and slam/hard-hitting-ness of the bass?

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #4,119 of 6,486
  Is there THAT much difference between the EL-8 and the Oppo regarding bass quantity and slam/hard-hitting-ness of the bass?

It's a pretty big difference. But I mean, when the EL-8 hits, it does hit hard. But it's very controlled.
I'd say that if you're a basshead, the EL-8 isn't for you though. It does have bass but it's pretty neutral if you ask me.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #4,120 of 6,486

This is the final nail in the coffin for me, since I'm getting my HD 700 in a few hours and probably an HE-500 soon after. After having both of those, summit-fi is the only logical next step for me, though I'm always interested in hearing all sorts of headphones, including the EL-8. I really love the way it looks! And the fact that one person I know liked the EL-8 more than the LCD series with metal music is quite impressive to me.

I see no reason to spend that much money on an EL-8 if you have an HD700. I mean, it does come down to preference, but in all honesty, I wouldn't have bought the HD700 if I already had an open EL-8 either, even if I like it a bit better.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #4,121 of 6,486

Thank you for your impressions :) To be honest i kinda prefer impressions from someone who just enjoys music since i plan to do just that. May i ask what sources you were using? Did you try them out with high bitrate MP3s or let's say HQ Spotify playback or something like that? Maybe i'll get thrown in the shredder for this but i won't ever find high resolution stuff for 99% of the music i prefer :wink: and as far as i remember everyone is testing these with FLAC files and expensive Headphone Amps. I don't have that yet (except some flac files but as i said, can't get them for most of my music library).

You mentioned a leaner bass with the EL-8, can the bass also be described as "dry" instead of lean? I really enjoy some hard hitting, dry and deep grumbly bass. And do i understand you correctly in that the El8 deliver Bass where it's needed and not just have less bass in not-so-bass-heavy music or versus the Oppos? Is it as hard hitting as the Oppos or harder hitting (i heard something of a 'legendary audeze bass').

So you see i'm no headphone expert either and my native tongue isn't english as well :wink: Thank you for your impression but damn, now i'm really torn apart between the two but the technical issues with the EL8 kind of hold me back :/ BUT i really want to have that punchy hard hitting bass *sigh* xD and i prefer instrumental music or just music where the emphasis is not on the vocals

The EL-8 open-back definitely has lean bass response. In fact, I found it to be bass-light on most songs. The mids and trebles are very dominant, which brings vocals forward. However, the bass didn't have a proportionate presence to my ears.

Your English and writing is extremely admirable! Thanks for your impressions.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #4,122 of 6,486

The EL-8 open-back definitely has lean bass response. In fact, I found it to be bass-light on most songs. The mids and trebles are very dominant, which brings vocals forward. However, the bass didn't have a proportionate presence to my ears.

@kite Your English and writing is extremely admirable! Thanks for your impressions.

I agree, it's a bit more bass in the closed back though for obvious reasons.
If it was my impressions you were referring to, I'm relieved you think so, and thanks for the kind words. If it wasn't, then nevermind, haha. :D

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #4,123 of 6,486
I wish people would stop taking about burn in. Besides, Audeze already posted that the phones are "burnt in" at the factory.

Feel free to ignore any mention of burn-in, but this issue has been addressed in this thread long before now.

To recap my experience, the EL-8 open-back I owned changed in sound quality from the time I first plugged it in to well over 100 hours later. As I mentioned in a previous post, this was no "brain-burn"; I didn't just keep listening to the cans until my brain adjusted to its sound. I listened to other music throughout the period I intermittently monitored the sound through the cans.

One phenomenon that occurred was that the EL-8 evidenced more bass response and an expanded soundstage over time. That said, it never achieved the degree of bass response proportionate to the forward mids and treble, to my ears. I conducted these tests with fresh ears and with the same songs over a period of days.

Believe it, or don't forget it, but that's what happened. Your mileage may invariably vary.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #4,124 of 6,486

It's a pretty big difference. But I mean, when the EL-8 hits, it does hit hard. But it's very controlled.
I'd say that if you're a basshead, the EL-8 isn't for you though. It does have bass but it's pretty neutral if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure he meant you haha :D

Well it's going to be a tough decision. I guess i'm not a typical basshead. I like bass heavy music but i dislike uncontrolled bass, bleeding everywhere and wobble throughout the song. Man i wish i could test them for myself ^^ i don't want to EQ the headphones too much..

A last Question if you don't mind.. sorry for repeatetly asking basically the same question.. but does the EL-8 hit harder / tighter than the Oppo?

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,125 of 6,486

I'm pretty sure he meant you haha :D

Well it's going to be a tough decision. I guess i'm not a typical basshead. I like bass heavy music but i dislike uncontrolled bass, bleeding everywhere and wobble throughout the song. Man i wish i could test them for myself ^^ i don't want to EQ the headphones too much..

A last Question if you don't mind.. sorry for repeatetly asking basically the same question.. but does the EL-8 hit harder / tighter than the Oppo?

Tighter yes, harder no. 
If you listen to bassheavy music I think the bass will be there. But the Oppo doesn't bleed and have uncontrolled bass at all, it's a nice bass, just not as tight as the EL-8.
I'm starting to think the Oppo might be better for you. :)
With that said, I bet you could get a lot of bass from the EL-8 with some EQ because the bass was really nice when it actually hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back