Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 31, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #4,096 of 6,486

It'd be interesting to see some mods, If there is no iproducts sticky double sided adhesive tape or other type of weird glue I think it should be okay.

The earpads were glued. Or at least so hard on the cups, anymore force would have ripped them.

Also, according to Audeze, the baffle is actually one piece with the cups, so a lot of disassembly to mod.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #4,097 of 6,486
@klfl, you should email audeze customer support. i find it a bit ridiculous if you have to pay a restocking fee when the pair you received had build quality issues. audeze is an upstanding company, they will waive that for you if the defect was from their end.

@daphen, the closed el-8 is currently one of the pricier closed headphones under $1k. that does not necessarily mean best or best for you. they will be people who think they are and people who like other options better. have to take other people's impressions with a grain of salt as they may have different preferences than you. highly recommend doing a personal audition when you can & looking forward to reading your impressions! :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #4,098 of 6,486
Total harmonic distortion <0.1% (1KHz, 1mw)

audeze had updated  the el8s thd specs from   <0.01%    to    < 0.1% 

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #4,099 of 6,486
  @klfl, you should email audeze customer support. i find it a bit ridiculous if you have to pay a restocking fee when the pair you received had build quality issues. audeze is an upstanding company, they will waive that for you if the defect was from their end.

@daphen, the closed el-8 is currently one of the pricier closed headphones under $1k. that does not necessarily mean best or best for you. they will be people who think they are and people who like other options better. have to take other people's impressions with a grain of salt as they may have different preferences than you. highly recommend doing a personal audition when you can & looking forward to reading your impressions! :)

I think that Audeze responded here already and look to be taking care of it.  They have A+ CS from everything I've seen.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #4,100 of 6,486
  I think that Audeze responded here already and look to be taking care of it.  They have A+ CS from everything I've seen.

agreed abt their customer service. glad the issue was resolved.

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #4,101 of 6,486
Are TH900, MILES better? Are they hard to drive? They cost around a fourth more here in my country.
Also, are they as suitable for small heads as the EL-8 is?
Both the open and closed EL-8 and the PM-3 just came in as demo's at my "local" audio store. Will check them out tomorrow. Excited to form my own opinion. :)

I would be very interested in your opinio. And comparison between the two. Mostly as to which one is the most "fun" :wink:

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #4,102 of 6,486
I would be very interested in your opinio. And comparison between the two. Mostly as to which one is the most "fun"
wink.gif

I'll let you know what I think in a few hours. I'm going there now but it's a bit of a trip. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #4,103 of 6,486

The earpads were glued. Or at least so hard on the cups, anymore force would have ripped them.

Also, according to Audeze, the baffle is actually one piece with the cups, so a lot of disassembly to mod.

I had some thoughts in this direction about the pads, but I was hoping I'm wrong. About the baffle looks like a interesting concept to me.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #4,104 of 6,486

I had some thoughts in this direction about the pads, but I was hoping I'm wrong. About the baffle looks like a interesting concept to me.

don't all audeze headphones have their earpads glued on? i can't imagine the el-8 earpads being any less removable, right?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #4,106 of 6,486
So, yeah, I'm back with impressions. Take into account that I in no way see myself as an expert. My knowledge is pretty basic, I just enjoy music.
I started out with the Oppo PM-3, they were surprisingly light. Pretty comfortable, I don't see myself having any problems in that department. They felt pretty solid in the hand and the only real complaint I have with the build is the cable. It felt really flimsy and cheap.

I started listening and wasn't surprised. These were the best closed headphones I've heard. With that said, I haven't really heard a closed headphone that's considered "good", in this price range. 
The most expensive one I've heard before this was the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, which I returned because I didn't like the sound of them. (I thought they were too dark and bassy)
However, I wasn't that impressed by the PM-3's, they were good, sure, but they weren't spectacular. They have a slight V-shape to them, strong bass, pretty dark sounding but with a pretty sharp top. I wanted to raise the volume a bit to get more of a feel for that hard hitting bass, it was fun, but I couldn't stand the vocals because they became too sharp.

Then the EL-8's came in through the door. He told me that they arrived yesterday and I got them straight out of the box so they had 0 burn in whereas the Oppos had been on for 48 hours for burn in. I took the closed version first since that's the one I'm interested in because I need the isolation. My god these are sturdy. They pack some heft but that just left a luxorious feeling when in the hand and during my session on about 35 minutes, I didn't notice any discomfort at all. They were much more comfortable than the Oppos, but they got a bit warm after a while, that didn't happen with the Oppos, even though I didn't listen to the Oppos for the same amount of time so don't quote me on that. 
The pads are just so big and soft, so I guess it's only logical that they get hotter and are more comfortable than the Oppos. 
One thing that I just want to mention is the feeling when you swivel the cups, it's soooo smooth, it feels insanely well built, I was blown away by the quality of these cans. But then I remembered the post where someone posted the plastic around the connectors had fallen off, and I can totally see that happening, it seems a bit cheap in comparison to the rest of the headphone that just screams quality. Also, the connectors are really loose, not sure if this is a problem or not, but the cables felt like they could almost fall out.

Well, onto the sound. I was a bit disappointed at first. The vocals are really thin or something, it sounded really strange, not sure how to describe it.
However, the more instruments, the better. The instruments sound absolutely fantastic and on a few songs I were simply blown away. These are better than the Oppos in my opinion. It feels like the Oppos were safer, they sound decent with everything. The EL-8C sounded strange with some music, like acoustic music with focus on the vocals but amazing with other music, like instrumentals and music with a bit more stuff going on. The bass is much leaner than the Oppos and I prefer it this way. It doesn't have that V-shaped sound. To me it sounds neutral.
I noticed that I kept missing bass in some songs, but when there was supposed to be bass, it hit pretty hard and fast. These are extremely fast, there's no other way to put it.
The El-8 didn't give me a bass that I could feel on like, the lower notes on a piano, where as the Oppos bass could be felt everywhere, that's not to say that it was bloated and overly bassy, it just had a little emphasis on the bass. I think the EL-8's bass is a bit more controlled and, like I said, neutral.

I'm still on the fence. The EL-8's were very good in my opinion, but that thinned out vocal left me with a bit of a sour taste. I think I would get used to it and learn to love every aspect of them, but I can't say for sure. I kind of want to buy them just based on the comfort, feel and design, they are just too gorgeous.. But that would of course be stupid. I'm kind of hoping some burn in would give them a bit darker tone in the vocal mid area.

The Oppos are out of the picture, they feel cheap in comparison(unfair comparison maybe, but still), even if they were okay sounding, I just know that I would beat myself up over going for the Oppos just because they're a bit cheaper.

Regarding isolation, the EL-8 felt more isolating because they're huge. But I was in a relatively quiet room so both of them let no sound in. I can't really comment on this and leakage is hard to test on your own so I have no idea how they are in that area.

As a closer I also tried the open version of the EL-8 and while they sounded better than the closed version (for obvious reasons) they didn't sound better than my HD700, in my opinion, and that's all I wanted to know. (They were also straight out of the box, so no burn in, and I only listened for about 10 minutes to the open back.)

English is not my native tongue so don't hold any mistakes against me. If I missed anything or you have further questions, just ask and I'll do my best to try to answer them.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #4,107 of 6,486
  So, yeah, I'm back with impressions. 

Thank you for your impressions :) To be honest i kinda prefer impressions from someone who just enjoys music since i plan to do just that. May i ask what sources you were using? Did you try them out with high bitrate MP3s or let's say HQ Spotify playback or something like that? Maybe i'll get thrown in the shredder for this but i won't ever find high resolution stuff for 99% of the music i prefer :wink: and as far as i remember everyone is testing these with FLAC files and expensive Headphone Amps. I don't have that yet (except some flac files but as i said, can't get them for most of my music library).

You mentioned a leaner bass with the EL-8, can the bass also be described as "dry" instead of lean? I really enjoy some hard hitting, dry and deep grumbly bass. And do i understand you correctly in that the El8 deliver Bass where it's needed and not just have less bass in not-so-bass-heavy music or versus the Oppos? Is it as hard hitting as the Oppos or harder hitting (i heard something of a 'legendary audeze bass').

So you see i'm no headphone expert either and my native tongue isn't english as well :wink: Thank you for your impression but damn, now i'm really torn apart between the two but the technical issues with the EL8 kind of hold me back :/ BUT i really want to have that punchy hard hitting bass *sigh* xD and i prefer instrumental music or just music where the emphasis is not on the vocals

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #4,108 of 6,486

Thank you for your impressions :) To be honest i kinda prefer impressions from someone who just enjoys music since i plan to do just that. May i ask what sources you were using? Did you try them out with high bitrate MP3s or let's say HQ Spotify playback or something like that? Maybe i'll get thrown in the shredder for this but i won't ever find high resolution stuff for 99% of the music i prefer :wink: and as far as i remember everyone is testing these with FLAC files and expensive Headphone Amps. I don't have that yet (except some flac files but as i said, can't get them for most of my music library).

You mentioned a leaner bass with the EL-8, can the bass also be described as "dry" instead of lean? I really enjoy some hard hitting, dry and deep grumbly bass. And do i understand you correctly in that the El8 deliver Bass where it's needed and not just have less bass in not-so-bass-heavy music or versus the Oppos? Is it as hard hitting as the Oppos or harder hitting (i heard something of a 'legendary audeze bass').

So you see i'm no headphone expert either and my native tongue isn't english as well :wink: Thank you for your impression but damn, now i'm really torn apart between the two but the technical issues with the EL8 kind of hold me back :/ BUT i really want to have that punchy hard hitting bass *sigh* xD and i prefer instrumental music or just music where the emphasis is not on the vocals

There's definitely more bass quantity on the Oppos. I used a Oppo amp and WIMP with FLAC. But I did try straight from my iPhone with Spotify and it was just fine. Some difference of course but not as bad as I expected. 
I'm not sure about that dry bass you were talking about, the quality of the bass is good on both but I just preferred the EL-8(I'm far from a bass head though). :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,110 of 6,486
Then the EL-8's came in through the door. He told me that they arrived yesterday and I got them straight out of the box so they had 0 burn in

I wish people would stop taking about burn in. Besides, Audeze already posted that the phones are "burnt in" at the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back