Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 31, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #4,066 of 6,486
  I would, but they're impossible to get a hold of. Especially in Sweden. :frowning2: 
I just want a good sounding, well isolating, portable amp drivable (Is that even a word?), closed headphone that doesn't leak sound. Is that too much to ask? :)

So if one were to seek a closed headphone in this pricerange, you would say there are options that sound better?
In that case, would you be so kind as to give me some suggestions?

Although I wasn't able to compare to the EL-8 Closed-Back, I really loved the $349 Focal Spirit Professional.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #4,067 of 6,486
I would recommend the TH600 in the price range. To me it is simply a better sounding closed headphone.

What I dislike about EL-8C:
Even smaller soundstage than the LCD-2
Inaccurate imaging
Artifical high-range
Limited scaling with better source
Overall lifeless presentation

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #4,070 of 6,486
  I would recommend the TH600 in the price range. To me it is simply a better sounding closed headphone.

What I dislike about EL-8C:
Even smaller soundstage than the LCD-2
Inaccurate imaging
Artifical high-range
Limited scaling with better source
Overall lifeless presentation

If only the TH-600 didn't have the across the board inferior sound to the TH-900 big brother. I can't stand the fart-like bass of the TH-600 unmodded, or the sibilant treble. However, it is STILL better than the closed EL-8.

The closed EL-8 quite practically sounds like they stuck a metal plate against the grill of the open EL-8.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #4,071 of 6,486

If only the TH-600 didn't have the across the board inferior sound to the TH-900 big brother. I can't stand the fart-like bass of the TH-600 unmodded, or the sibilant treble. However, it is STILL better than the closed EL-8.

The closed EL-8 quite practically sounds like they stuck a metal plate against the grill of the open EL-8.

That's a shame. Is there anyone in here that actually liked the EL8C? 
Because I've been told in several places that it's the best I can get in the price range..

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #4,073 of 6,486
Oh my gosh!  El-8 open back are awesome!!!  It is very clear and detailed to my ears.  I have it set up with my Burson conductor virtuoso.  It is crystal clear music!  I like it!  I believe for its price, it is hard to beat!

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #4,075 of 6,486
  That's a shame. Is there anyone in here that actually liked the EL8C? 
Because I've been told in several places that it's the best I can get in the price range..

Most people who gave you those opinions are basing them on positive glowing romantic reviews across the net. They don't actually own it or have heard it.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #4,077 of 6,486
Are TH900, MILES better? Are they hard to drive? They cost around a fourth more here in my country.
Also, are they as suitable for small heads as the EL-8 is?
Both the open and closed EL-8 and the PM-3 just came in as demo's at my "local" audio store. Will check them out tomorrow. Excited to form my own opinion. :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,078 of 6,486
  Are TH900, MILES better? Are they hard to drive? They cost around a fourth more here in my country.
Also, are they as suitable for small heads as the EL-8 is?
Both the open and closed EL-8 and the PM-3 just came in as demo's at my "local" audio store. Will check them out tomorrow. Excited to form my own opinion. :)

Well, the TH900 is significantly better than the TH600, and certainly a much more fun headphones than the EL-8. However, the mids in the EL-8 are more forward and intimate and "aggressive".

The TH900 (or TH600) while they have a closed back, they leak quite a bit, and also do not isolate well at all, if you are looking for a closed back for that purpose.

The PM-3 has had positive reactions to it, and for the price, you don't have AS MUCH to lose as the EL-8, and they are also quite a bit lighter and more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back