Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 31, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #4,055 of 6,486
What is it about having low output impedance that would make a 30 ohm headphone sound worse on it? I've used low impedance headphones on low output impedance amps with no problems. In fact, I thought having too high output impedance was what you were supposed to look out for.

Too high impedance:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/files/Headphone_Amplifier_Performance_-_Part_2.pdf?1361

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #4,056 of 6,486
Too high impedance:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/files/Headphone_Amplifier_Performance_-_Part_2.pdf?1361

Although I did ask for technical explanations, I'm going to revise my request and ask for a dumbed-down, straight to the point one. Wayyy too lazy to read through all that. XD

If all you mean is that 30 ohms is too high impedance for an amp with low output impedance, that doesn't sound right to me at all, since Schiit Audio's solid-state amps have low output impedance, yet are well regarded with high impedance headphones.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #4,059 of 6,486
Some describe it as "Synergy"
bigsmile_face.gif

Not that dumbed-down. XD haha

All I'm looking for is a practical explanation that actually makes sense about why a headphone with low/normal impedance would sound worse on an amp with low output impedance -- the type of amps that are supposed to sound fine with everything.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #4,060 of 6,486
Some describe it as "Synergy" :bigsmile_face:

Not that dumbed-down. XD haha

All I'm looking for is a practical explanation that actually makes sense about why a headphone with low/normal impedance would sound worse on an amp with low output impedance -- the type of amps that are supposed to sound fine with everything.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't read too far into anyone's negative review of a set of cans produced by a highly respected company like Audeze. They wouldn't produce a product that is sub-par. Besides, not much detail can be known about a critics (assumed undamaged)equipment, source, and the music's mastering. (Don't underestimate the importance of well recorded/mastered music.) Or the critic's psychoacoustic interpretation, bias and hearing acuity. Too many variables to dissect and interpret technically.

Bottom line - Go out and listen for yourself.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #4,061 of 6,486
Just received the EL-8 closed today. This little plastic piece is falling out right out of the box, and it keeps doing so now and then. It is not a big issue but should not happen on a $700 product.
And when the cable is plugged in, there is no sound on the right side. I have to secure the right connector with hand during listening. Otherwise the intermittent connection simply makes the headphone unlistenable.

I purchased the EL-8 as a potential replacement of the HD650. However after extensive listening session, I am not sure the EL-8C is a winner soundwise. I've seen other people compare the EL-8 with LCD-X, but from my personal experience the EL-8 is not even comparable to the LCD-2.

I can't say for the EL-8 open but I would not recommend the EL-8 closed version to anyone else. And personally I will stick to the LCD line in the future.

For the EL-8C both the sound and build quality turns out to be disappointing. I requested a return rather than exchange even though there will be restocking fee.

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #4,062 of 6,486

If all you mean is that 30 ohms is too high impedance for an amp with low output impedance, that doesn't sound right to me at all, since Schiit Audio's solid-state amps have low output impedance, yet are well regarded with high impedance headphones.

It will depend on the electric and mechanical damping of the headphones too. The overall damping (Q) is a product of all the damping factors such that 1/Qtotal = 1/Q1 + 1/Q2 + ...

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #4,063 of 6,486
Bottom line - Go out and listen for yourself.

I would, but they're impossible to get a hold of. Especially in Sweden. :frowning2: 
I just want a good sounding, well isolating, portable amp drivable (Is that even a word?), closed headphone that doesn't leak sound. Is that too much to ask? :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #4,064 of 6,486

For the EL-8C both the sound and build quality turns out to be disappointing. I requested a return rather than exchange even though there will be restocking fee.

So if one were to seek a closed headphone in this pricerange, you would say there are options that sound better?
In that case, would you be so kind as to give me some suggestions?
What did you dislike about the sound?

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #4,065 of 6,486
I would, but they're impossible to get a hold of. Especially in Sweden. :frowning2: 
I just want a good sounding, well isolating, portable amp drivable (Is that even a word?), closed headphone that doesn't leak sound. Is that too much to ask? :)

Oppo PM-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back