Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 29, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #3,946 of 6,486
  As for me, this statement sounds like: "Sorry dude I am not into the life-like sound of cymbals. My headphones do the job better"
Not offending or anything like that
normal_smile%20.gif

I haven't even heard the headphones so I'm not  trying to defend them, haha. I'm just saying that stating stuff like that and making the claim as an objective opinion is weird. If they really were colored, you wouldn't be the first one to say it. With that said, I'll just wait til some reviews start falling in, or better yet, wait til I can listen to them myself and make up my own mind. $700 is a lot and they'll be even more in Sweden, I expect them to sound much better than say, Momentums etc. (The closed back that is.)

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #3,947 of 6,486
Can anyone compare the Sennheiser HD 700 and/or HiFiMAN HE-500 to the Audeze EL-8 Open-Back?

Doesn't have to be a direct comparison. From memory is fine, as long as it gives a good idea of the differences between them. Comparisons with metal, electronic, and orchestral genres are especially appreciated.

Mar 29, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,948 of 6,486
  Hello, they both use exactly the same driver and of course we don't recommend opening the headphones for obvious reasons.
Thank you,
Audeze

If I'll buy the EL-8 I'll be very happy to know that I can take them apart and put them back in a easy way. As well will be great for me to know that I can change the cap grill to my liking just by buying the grill of my opposite model.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,951 of 6,486
Originally Posted by Acix 

I im not upset I bought my closed el8s they are simple great hps very versatiles and easy driven every time I hear music they put a smile in my face

Hi Bari, did you try to open them up, I mean to open up cork and reveal the naked driver? like the open version without the aluminum protected net. I do hope they share the same drivers as the open version.

hi ACIX no I did not open and I will not do so
to sound best the el8 (closed) require a descent desk amp (to get the best bass) I  I tryed direct from my AK100 mk2 (about 2 ohms zout) but something about the bass was missing (not power not extension but fullyness)
when I hear with "my self designed amp "( class A discrete topology  no global feedback) desk amp the bass sounded much better (much slam and resolution) but  the   best experience was achieved using a miniature vorzuge pure II portable amplifier (300 mw at 32 ohms 0.0008% thd zout 0.5 ohm)
the output power section is a lme49600 buffer and a opa2134 in each channel )I have exellent clarity , dynamic range and smooth FR  if you have good recordings you will have a great sound
personally I like more than a natural el8 bass has ( my ears my age my preferences) I added a +6db at 62hz(akm100 dsp EQ) and I  got the sound I like 
increasing like this the bass does not make any musik harm still detailed and natural , the confort isvery nice (hours of continous listening)

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3,952 of 6,486
  Can anyone compare the Sennheiser HD 700 and/or HiFiMAN HE-500 to the Audeze EL-8 Open-Back?

Doesn't have to be a direct comparison. From memory is fine, as long as it gives a good idea of the differences between them. Comparisons with metal, electronic, and orchestral genres are especially appreciated.

For those who were also looking for such comparisons, they are underway in the HD 700 thread.

I am compiling a list of recommended test tracks in various genres for the two or more people who will do the comparison.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #3,953 of 6,486
I have both the LCD-X and HE-560. The HE-560 is the more technically capable pair sound-quality-wise: better sound stage, more precise imaging, quicker transient response, more resolving of micro-details, and more neutral overall sound signature. The LCD-X has a really fun sound signature and that extra slam to the bass that I personally really enjoy. I can see the LCD-X's sound signature being more popular overall as the really neutral-oriented sound sig of the HE-560 may lack 'excitement' for some people.

I am curious why there hasn't been any HE-560 vs EL-8 comparisons. IMO, the HE-560 can go head-to-head and compete with the HD800 from extensive direct comparisons while auditioning. HD800 has better sound stage and edges out in overall resolution, but the HE-560 is faster and has better bass quality. I felt the HE-560 was more realistic sounding for me as the HD800 was a tad too bright to be really neutral for my tastes.

I spent some time with both the LCD-X and 560, and I have to agree with these impressions. LCD-X sounded much too warm with recessed mids for my taste, even more than the LCD-2. Same goes for the EL-8. Very warm, with excessive midbass that encroached much too far into the mids. This was on an Audeze Deckard. Basically a worse LCD-X imo. I had high hopes too.

The new Ether from Mr. Speakers actually had a similar presentation to the 560, but a little smoother in the highs. Definitely a flatter FR on both compared to the EL-8 to my ears.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,954 of 6,486
I spent some time with both the LCD-X and 560, and I have to agree with these impressions. LCD-X sounded much too warm with recessed mids for my taste, even more than the LCD-2. Same goes for the EL-8. Very warm, with excessive midbass that encroached much too far into the mids. This was on an Audeze Deckard. Basically a worse LCD-X imo. I had high hopes too.

The new Ether from Mr. Speakers actually had a similar presentation to the 560, but a little smoother in the highs. Definitely a flatter FR on both compared to the EL-8 to my ears.

Have you heard the HE-500 as well? I probably won't buy the HE-560, but I am about to buy the HE-500 later in the week.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,955 of 6,486
to sound best the el8 (closed) require a descent desk amp (to get the best bass) I  I tryed direct from my AK100 mk2 (about 2 ohms zout) but something about the bass was missing (not power not extension but fullyness)
when I hear with "my self designed amp "( class A discrete topology  no global feedback) desk amp the bass sounded much better (much slam and resolution) but  the   best experience was achieved using a miniature vorzuge pure II portable amplifier (300 mw at 32 ohms 0.0008% thd zout 0.5 ohm)
the output power section is a lme49600 buffer and a opa2134 in each channel )I have exellent clarity , dynamic range and smooth FR  if you have good recordings you will have a great sound
personally I like more than a natural el8 bass has ( my ears my age my preferences) I added a +6db at 62hz(akm100 dsp EQ) and I  got the sound I like 
increasing like this the bass does not make any musik harm still detailed and natural , the confort isvery nice (hours of continous listening)

Now you made me even more interested in those hps, maybe is time to test them on the Phonitor. 
happy_face1.gif
  I wonder if there is any frequency response graph available to see where they stand at the 62Hz.

The vorzuge pure II sounds good, I'll check  about it! I miss your amp (self designed Baritone 1) and I hope made another one!

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #3,956 of 6,486

Now you made me even more interested in those hps, maybe is time to test them on the Phonitor. 
happy_face1.gif
  I wonder if there is any frequency response graph available to see where they stand at the 62Hz.

The vorzuge pure II sounds good, I'll check  about it! I miss your amp (self designed Baritone 1) and I hope made another one!

Audeze has some measurements up on their blog. Haven't seen any independent measurements yet.

https://www.audeze.com/about-audeze/blog/el-8-graphs

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #3,957 of 6,486
Compare the amplitudes of the recovery spikes (2,3,...) that follow the leading edge spike of the 30Hz square waves and you will see that the EL-8's are much smaller (better).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf (magnify the graph)
https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/images/EL8_Open_SQ_Wave.jpg

I stand corrected! The leading edge EL-8 bass spike is larger, indicating more bass impact than HE-560, but subsequent spikes are smaller on EL-8, indicating tighter bass, couple that with the lower bass distortion from the EL-8 and its a 3 way win to the EL-8 bass!

I hope independant measurements are as impressive as those provided by Audeze :rolleyes:

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #3,958 of 6,486
Mar 29, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,959 of 6,486
Here's a pertinent question. Once some EL-8 Open-Back owners start listing theirs up on the used market for whatever reason, what do you guys think would be a fair trade scenario? I will receive an HD 700 in three days and will most likely buy an HE-500 two days after that. All three headphones are in the same price class. Unless I can find an HD 800 owner who wants both of my headphones, the EL-8 Open-Back seems like a good option for me. At this point, I'm looking for (and facilitating) more comparisons online to determine whether I might like the EL-8 more than one or both of the other headphones. (I don't go to meets and rely on online information.) Judging from what little I have read so far, it seems that there are plenty of EL-8 owners who would be interested in the HD 700 and HE-500. I just don't want to make a mistake and end up liking the EL-8 less, though I'm sure they all sound great.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #3,960 of 6,486
Seemed to me that this guy was far more impressed with the out-of-box experience and build quality than he was with the sound.

hahah! +1 ya, i was waiting for some sonic impressions & the guy spends the whole video playing with the box or posing next to his audio gear. funny & cute video though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back