Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 28, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3,916 of 6,486
Just returned from CanJam where I was able to listen to a pair of these.  It was one of those "gasp" situations that are 
not at all common.  I believe these are my next headphones.  Very musical with an almost pinpoint imaging.  Huge soundstage
from a very efficient set of Cans.  Had to push the gain on my X5 about 20% to achieve equivalent SPL that I get with the B&W P7's
(which I have really, really liked until I heard the El-8's).

jhv

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #3,917 of 6,486
Does anyone know what the current wait is? I just placed an order on the Audeze website, and am wondering how long I'll have to wait.... 

Also, is there any official word on when replacement cables are going to be available? I had an order placed for some IEM cables with Double Helix, and cancelled the order to have him terminate for the EL-8s instead. But he says he has to wait until replacement cables are available to salvage parts.

Mar 28, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #3,919 of 6,486
I'm listening to the open EL-8s tonight and some Van Morrison and I am thoroughly impressed by them. I'm thinking like a baby-LCD-X in terms of sound signature. More reference / neutral than warm. But still very engaging and musical with that killer Audeze bass. Comfort is likely the best of any Audeze headphone I've heard and for under $900, I can't recommend a better headphone.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #3,921 of 6,486
Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm listening to the open EL-8s tonight and some Van Morrison and I am thoroughly impressed by them. I'm thinking like a baby-LCD-X in terms of sound signature. More reference / neutral than warm. But still very engaging and musical with that killer Audeze bass. Comfort is likely the best of any Audeze headphone I've heard and for under $900, I can't recommend a better headphone.

^ But have you heard a HE-560? I'm puzzled why there isn't any comparisons between EL-8 and HE-560, they are the two biggest competitors to each other imo.

I have both the LCD-X and HE-560. The HE-560 is the more technically capable pair sound-quality-wise: better sound stage, more precise imaging, quicker transient response, more resolving of micro-details, and more neutral overall sound signature. The LCD-X has a really fun sound signature and that extra slam to the bass that I personally really enjoy. I can see the LCD-X's sound signature being more popular overall as the really neutral-oriented sound sig of the HE-560 may lack 'excitement' for some people.

I am curious why there hasn't been any HE-560 vs EL-8 comparisons. IMO, the HE-560 can go head-to-head and compete with the HD800 from extensive direct comparisons while auditioning. HD800 has better sound stage and edges out in overall resolution, but the HE-560 is faster and has better bass quality. I felt the HE-560 was more realistic sounding for me as the HD800 was a tad too bright to be really neutral for my tastes.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #3,922 of 6,486
  I have both the LCD-X and HE-560. The HE-560 is the more technically capable pair sound-quality-wise: better sound stage, more precise imaging, quicker transient response, more resolving of micro-details, and more neutral overall sound signature. The LCD-X has a really fun sound signature and that extra slam to the bass that I personally really enjoy. I can see the LCD-X's sound signature being more popular overall as the really neutral-oriented sound sig of the HE-560 may lack 'excitement' for some people.

I am curious why there hasn't been any HE-560 vs EL-8 comparisons. IMO, the HE-560 can go head-to-head and compete with the HD800 from extensive direct comparisons while auditioning. HD800 has better sound stage and edges out in overall resolution, but the HE-560 is faster and has better bass quality. I felt the HE-560 was more realistic sounding for me as the HD800 was a tad too bright to be really neutral for my tastes.

I really, really like the HE-560s, but I'd take the LCD-X's over them any day. I find they are just more natural (with better bass and detail). 

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,923 of 6,486
  I really, really like the HE-560s, but I'd take the LCD-X's over them any day. I find they are just more natural (with better bass and detail). 

hahah i have both so that's not a problem for me. i use my he-560s as my primary & the lcd-x for edm. i do really appreciate the lcd-x's bass quantity. very nice.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,924 of 6,486
So I suppose the same things would carry over to the EL-8, seeing as it has been described as a baby X, so 560 is probably more neutral and quick than EL-8 while EL-8 has bit more bass and smoothness etc.

Actually looking at the 30hz Squarewave of EL-8 on Audeze blog, compared to HE-560 30hz Squarewave by innerfidelity shows that the HE-560 has tighter bass than EL-8.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,925 of 6,486
when i owned the he-560 i found it more on par with the lcd-2 then the X. (i own the X and 3 and owned the 2). the 560 was a good headphone but the X outclasses it in every way. 

On topic now, ive got a pair of closed el-8s on order and hoping to get them this week. fingers crossed :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,930 of 6,486
[...]

Actually looking at the 30hz Squarewave of EL-8 on Audeze blog, compared to HE-560 30hz Squarewave by innerfidelity shows that the HE-560 has tighter bass than EL-8.

I disagree with your interpretation.

Compare the amplitudes of the recovery spikes (2,3,...) that follow the leading edge spike of the 30Hz square waves and you will see that the EL-8's are much smaller (better).

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE5602014.pdf (magnify the graph)
https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/images/EL8_Open_SQ_Wave.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back