Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 22, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #3,586 of 6,486
  I had no idea that was the case, then again I'm not interested in any Oppo products and I find the 'beauty' other people see in their design as completely bland....But yeah, $500 price difference when you can get identical sound with a change of pads?! That's nonsensical, I hope they got crucified for this?

Not really. They officially state that the differences between the two products is primarily due to improvement in build quality and accessories. They are very transparent about what you are purchasing. Much better than other headphone companies that release the same thing but pretend that they sound drastically different.

From Oppo's website:
"The OPPO PM-2 Planar Magnetic headphones are characterized by a distillation of the OPPO PM-1’s key acoustic and industrial design features into a more affordable price point. Similar to the OPPO PM-1, the PM-2 is characterized by its natural, dynamic, and engaging sound quality with an emphasis on comfort and reduced weight. The PM-2 uses the same driver as the PM-1, and the same technological breakthroughs are present in the PM-2: the use of a unique 7-layer diaphragm, double-sided spiraling coils, and an FEM-optimized magnet system."

"The OPPO PM-1 and OPPO PM-2 share the same primary physical components (including the driver, aluminum frame, removable earpad and cable design, and rotating earcups) but there are a number of changes with regard to the materials used in the construction of the two headphones, as well as with the accessories that each pair of headphones comes with."

"Since both headphones utilize the same driver and follow the same acoustic design principles, the PM-2's performance and sound signature are very close to the PM-1, especially when the PM-1 is paired with the alternative earpads. PM-2 owners wanting to experience the PM-1's original sound can purchase the PM-1's original lambskin earpads separately."

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=90

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #3,588 of 6,486
  Not really. They officially state that the differences between the two products is primarily due to improvement in build quality and accessories. They are very transparent about what you are purchasing. Much better than other headphone companies that release the same thing but pretend that they sound drastically different.

From Oppo's website:
"The OPPO PM-2 Planar Magnetic headphones are characterized by a distillation of the OPPO PM-1’s key acoustic and industrial design features into a more affordable price point. Similar to the OPPO PM-1, the PM-2 is characterized by its natural, dynamic, and engaging sound quality with an emphasis on comfort and reduced weight. The PM-2 uses the same driver as the PM-1, and the same technological breakthroughs are present in the PM-2: the use of a unique 7-layer diaphragm, double-sided spiraling coils, and an FEM-optimized magnet system."

"The OPPO PM-1 and OPPO PM-2 share the same primary physical components (including the driver, aluminum frame, removable earpad and cable design, and rotating earcups) but there are a number of changes with regard to the materials used in the construction of the two headphones, as well as with the accessories that each pair of headphones comes with."

"Since both headphones utilize the same driver and follow the same acoustic design principles, the PM-2's performance and sound signature are very close to the PM-1, especially when the PM-1 is paired with the alternative earpads. PM-2 owners wanting to experience the PM-1's original sound can purchase the PM-1's original lambskin earpads separately."

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=90

There was something about the OPPO PM-1 and 2 that just didn't grab me fully.
I thought, after extensive break-in (which is MUCH-needed w/ the PM-3s - even more-so I've found) they were dynamic, coherent, clean, but, for lack of a better summation: They were "too hifi" sounding to me. Like some of Dave Wilsons loudspeakers - like great hifi - but not necessarily great music.

But, and no matter what ANYBODY says this is all subjective - I was taken w/ the PM-3 prototype I heard last year.

So when Oppo offered to send me a pair I welcomes the chance to not only review em, but live with em for awhile, break em in the way I want to, etc... Also - I still haven't received my EL-8 closed-backs for review!!

--don't get it-- As most of you in this thread know - I was fortunate to get the first production-ready EL-8 open-backs, and I'm really diggin' those - more now than before - BUT: To be brutally honest, as the EL-8 is, at the very least, a more portable Audeze planar than anything LCD, I really wanted to hear and review the EL-8 closed-backs!!

Anyway - sorry to rant.
I don't wanna sound like a lil' b____ch - just surprised! And I also gotta say it was VERY swift of Oppo to reach out right at this moment!!  They're paying attention to what we're all doing and saying it seems, or, at least, trying to keep an eye on our community...

So, like I said up there - the PM-3s needed (and are still opening up) extensive break-in time. 200+ hours. 

They were, to me, somewhat congested in the upper mids and low-end outta the box, but the sub-bass has since opened-and-tightened up. The mids also definitely have more air and dimensionality after at least 150+ hours (plus pink-noise and various break-in tools from Ayre, Nordost, and XLO) - plus I dig their design. I think its CLEAN, they're COMF, and, w/ my Double Helix Molecule Elite cable (NOT crazy-expensive) I think for $399 bucks these could be one of the most musically engaging Bang-for-the-Buck planars on the market...

So, NOW I'm eager to hear if the Audeze EL-8 closed-backs are $300 bucks better!

Anybody fill me in on their opinions there??

I've been lovin the PM-3s w/ my FAVE portable rig currently:

my Astell-n-Kern AK240
Lehmann Audio Traveler
Double Helix Cables Comp4 mini-to-mini

As a matter of fact - they've become my go-to on-the-run cans!!

and our dear friend Mara (performer for MANY years, has heard Every pair of top-level cans I own) ordered a pair shortly after I snapped this pic...

Psyched for the shoot-out w/ these and the closed-back EL-8s once I get those here and broken-in!!!!

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #3,589 of 6,486
Any update as to when the closed-backs will be shipping to dealers?

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #3,591 of 6,486
Did some back to back lisyening in audioconcepts with lcd 2 and el8 on a mcintosh mha 100 amp
I felt the only place the lcd 2 were better was in the bass that too was only a slight advantage.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #3,592 of 6,486
   I would imagine the $399 PM-3 would sound, well, pretty damn good, with the $750 Comp 4 Fusion shown in your picture!

OH, DAMN, LMAO!!!

I meant to share the pic of the DHC Molecule Elite  - I know thats not realistic (using my reference Comp4 on em) but - for home, for me, to get the MOST out of em - that was FUN.

Well-played sir.
Well-played

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,597 of 6,486
   I would imagine the $399 PM-3 would sound, well, pretty damn good, with the $750 Comp 4 Fusion shown in your picture!

again,
Well-played sir!!

I meant to share this pic - using the more practical (well, maybe not-so practical) - but, honestly, the way these cans and the DHC Molecule Elite sound together - the synergy, the overall effect was trans-formative. From top to bottom the sound was far more present. There was an instantly noticeable change in the velocity of the transient attack, and even decay...

- as I often say - the most a cable can do (or not) is act like a filter, or less of one (hence - low noise-floor / capacitance, inductance)

PLUS:
I had two buddies do single-blinds - now, both of em have gotten into headphones a bit, but nothin' like us nutz!!

Kevin and Vince chose the PM-3+DHC Molecule Elite 6 out of 10 times!
SAME score - CRAZY
My boys were both in the war in Iraq - and were exposed to a bunch of different headphone tech,
which they both said helped them get bit by the personal audio bug when they got home and I went, as they say, "super-headphone-geek" on em.

Vince also bought a pair of PM-3s right away.
He loves my LCDs - not the EL-8s.
Kevin really dug the EL-8s - and he was a team leader, so he and Vince told me he got to play with alot more gear...

Like I said - I'm PUMPED for this shoot-out - and I don't usually compare product in different price brackets, etc.
But, the more I rock the PM-3s, the more I'm eager to put these vs. the EL-8 closed-backs, ASAP!! as SOON as I get the EL-8 closed...

Still LOVIn' the open-back though!
Will be publishing my full review SOON after Canjam SoCal!!!!

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #3,598 of 6,486
Mar 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,599 of 6,486

again,
Well-played sir!!

I meant to share this pic - using the more practical (well, maybe not-so practical) - but, honestly, the way these cans and the DHC Molecule Elite sound together - the synergy, the overall effect was trans-formative. From top to bottom the sound was far more present. There was an instantly noticeable change in the velocity of the transient attack, and even decay...

- as I often say - the most a cable can do (or not) is act like a filter, or less of one (hence - low noise-floor / capacitance, inductance)

PLUS:
I had two buddies do single-blinds - now, both of em have gotten into headphones a bit, but nothin' like us nutz!!

Kevin and Vince chose the PM-3+DHC Molecule Elite 6 out of 10 times!
SAME score - CRAZY
My boys were both in the war in Iraq - and were exposed to a bunch of different headphone tech,
which they both said helped them get bit by the personal audio bug when they got home and I went, as they say, "super-headphone-geek" on em.

Vince also bought a pair of PM-3s right away.
He loves my LCDs - not the EL-8s.
Kevin really dug the EL-8s - and he was a team leader, so he and Vince told me he got to play with alot more gear...

Like I said - I'm PUMPED for this shoot-out - and I don't usually compare product in different price brackets, etc.
But, the more I rock the PM-3s, the more I'm eager to put these vs. the EL-8 closed-backs, ASAP!! as SOON as I get the EL-8 closed...

Still LOVIn' the open-back though!
Will be publishing my full review SOON after Canjam SoCal!!!!

All of your headphone reviews are with stock cables though........right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back