Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 21, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #3,572 of 6,486
My cable broke already. The minijack part had something wrong with it and it caused the sound to not fully transmit to the headphones. I already sent it back to Audeze and they will be doing an RMA for it. I wish they would have just sent me a new cable now its going to take a week to get a new cable. Upset that these $700 headphones came with a defective cable and I won't be able to use them especially because I paid the extra $40 to have them overnighted.

Which headphones u r talking about?! What mini cable?!

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #3,574 of 6,486
  My cable broke already. The minijack part had something wrong with it and it caused the sound to not fully transmit to the headphones. I already sent it back to Audeze and they will be doing an RMA for it. I wish they would have just sent me a new cable now its going to take a week to get a new cable. Upset that these $700 headphones came with a defective cable and I won't be able to use them especially because I paid the extra $40 to have them overnighted.

Which headphones u r talking about?! What mini cable?!

I'm assuming he's talking about the source termination end. Maybe a bad solder point. I understand the frustration since these cables are proprietary, and it's no fun dropping a lot of money just to be sidelined so quickly. I hope they can fix your problem quickly. *edit - nvm, I just repeated the post above. 

On another note, in terms of sound signature, I feel like the EL-8 falls right in between the Mad Dog Pro and the Alpha Dog. They are warmer than the Alpha Dog's, while being more balanced than the Mad Dog Pro's. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,575 of 6,486
^While the sound signature is between those two, what do you think of the sound quality? Is it worth the $699 if the two comparisons are between headphones that are $300-600?

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,576 of 6,486
Really enjoying the open EL-8's tonight with some metal and hard rock.  
L3000.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,577 of 6,486
Do we know more about the differences between the closed and open units yet? I recall earlier in the thread there was speculation about whether if you bought one type plus the backs from the other, if you could "convert" between the two types just by switching backs, or if there's other physical differences that prevent this, such as different driver specs or damping designs, etc?

I suspect it's probably the latter case, because a "convertible" design would be very marketable and I expect Audeze would already be crowing about it if so, but a man can dream...

(Speaking of which, imagine being able to buy a version that actually came with both backs and some sort of quick-switch mechanism? Or better still, one single back design that converts between the two by sliding open vents, so your portable could be unobtrusively quiet on the bus, in the cubicle, etc, but open up properly when you were in areas that didn't require the isolation, like walking around outside, or around your home?)

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #3,578 of 6,486
  Do we know more about the differences between the closed and open units yet? I recall earlier in the thread there was speculation about whether if you bought one type plus the backs from the other, if you could "convert" between the two types just by switching backs, or if there's other physical differences that prevent this, such as different driver specs or damping designs, etc?

I suspect it's probably the latter case, because a "convertible" design would be very marketable and I expect Audeze would already be crowing about it if so, but a man can dream...

(Speaking of which, imagine being able to buy a version that actually came with both backs and some sort of quick-switch mechanism? Or better still, one single back design that converts between the two by sliding open vents, so your portable could be unobtrusively quiet on the bus, in the cubicle, etc, but open up properly when you were in areas that didn't require the isolation, like walking around outside, or around your home?)

switchable backs... that will never happen in a million years from Audeze. guaranteed.

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #3,579 of 6,486
  switchable backs... that will never happen in a million years from Audeze. guaranteed.

Even if it's for switchable functionality, and not just for fashion reasons like the Custom One, etc?

Want to expand as to why you're so certain?  Is it that you think they'd just rather double-dip, knowing that some consumers will buy both designs outright if a switchable option doesn't exist?

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #3,580 of 6,486

Even if it's for switchable functionality, and not just for fashion reasons like the Custom One, etc?

Want to expand as to why you're so certain?  Is it that you think they'd just rather double-dip, knowing that some consumers will buy both designs outright if a switchable option doesn't exist?

1) yes, if there is a switchable option, they would lose money from consumers looking for both an open & closed headphone.
2) audeze's primary focus is sound quality. it would be extremely difficult to tune one set of drivers in a single headphone for ideal sonic performance in both open & closed configurations

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #3,581 of 6,486
1) yes, if there is a switchable option, they would lose money from consumers looking for both an open & closed headphone.
2) audeze's primary focus is sound quality. it would be extremely difficult to tune one set of drivers in a single headphone for ideal sonic performance in both open & closed configurations

I think number 2 is the real issue. Pretty much impossible to have a headphone perfectly tuned for both by just removing the backplate.
It would need more than that for sure.

If they could, then they could sell them for a markup easily. Would probably make even more that way.

Maybe someday soon well see a pair of cans with interchangeable filters or something. I'm not holding my breath.

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #3,582 of 6,486
I think number 2 is the real issue. Pretty much impossible to have a headphone perfectly tuned for both by just removing the backplate.
It would need more than that for sure.

If they could, then they could sell them for a markup easily. Would probably make even more that way.

Maybe someday soon well see a pair of cans with interchangeable filters or something. I'm not holding my breath.

no matter how far you mark-up a a pair of headphones w/ swappable backs, it will never be as much profit as selling two headphones.

but yes, i totally agree point #2 is the real issue.

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #3,583 of 6,486
  no matter how far you mark-up a a pair of headphones w/ swappable backs, it will never be as much profit as selling two headphones.

but yes, i totally agree point #2 is the real issue.

If the models are kept strictly separate, the users that buy both will be a very small percentage, so the extra profit from those infrequent double sales shouldn't be very significant. Also, you're not taking into account extra sales of single headphones that would occur if a convertible model existed, from customers that wouldn't have been interested in either of the closed or open models alone, but saw value in a switchable version for a reasonable premium more. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if such sales accounted for a lot more total return than a few double-dips from the wealthier segment of the market.

And, I did cover point 2 in my original question, asking if there were other model-specific parts that would prevent conversion (Indeed, expecting to be told as such). I'm pretty sure nobody has actually had both in front of them and posted a thorough comparison yet, though, so we don't know for certain either way yet. I'm very interested to hear, personally, even if my expectations aren't very optimistic. If they actually can be swapped from open to closed just by changing the backs and maybe damping felt or some other minor part/s, I'd find them a lot more compelling, but yes, if Audeze sees such a thing as against their interest, it's pretty unlikely they'd allow it to be possible.

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #3,584 of 6,486
which amplifiers do you connect to yours el8 closed and open ?
any differences in SQ in Tube ./ SS  amplification ?
yesterday auditioned the el8 (closed) with the dacmagic +  built in HP and sounded very nice
anyone with similar experiences ?

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #3,585 of 6,486

Also, the PM-2 is sonically identical to the PM-1 if using the same earpads (though I personally think both are a tad bit overpriced for their sonics). Did think I saw some comparisons against the PM-1 somewhere (favored the PM-1). I think it may have been stillheart? 

I had no idea that was the case, then again I'm not interested in any Oppo products and I find the 'beauty' other people see in their design as completely bland....But yeah, $500 price difference when you can get identical sound with a change of pads?! That's nonsensical, I hope they got crucified for this?

I think the EL-8 are aimed at people on a tighter budget. Still seems like a bit of a reach in price tag to me though. They should "hypothetically" outperform most other headphones up to the $699, but if they aren't geared to be an improvement over the LCD-2, then the majority of flagship type models should have more technical performance & would make more sense to me if you are investing that much money into a home system. Though of course, sound signature preference is a lot more important!

Regarding the EL-8's pricing, I also think they're aimed at tighter budgets but the performance for the price vs the competition's performance at equal to or less than that price is the real current dilemma so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back