Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 19, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #3,512 of 6,486
ok, so I have been listening at my EL-8 Closed non stop. I'm writing this because I really believe that Audeze has done a great job with the EL-8. Because they have limited advertising budget they can't get in touch with as many potential customers as they deserve. Those who really appreciate their EL-8 should say it. here is me walking the walk.

my Data :
- I have the LCD-3 pre-fazor
- I use the Apogee Duet 2
- Only FLAC

please don't take this the wrong way, BUT i love so much the EL-8 that I have been thinking of selling my LCD3 for an AK240, the setup would be my dream, EL-8 + AK240. 

Why do I hesitate ?

well, the EL-8 doesn't have the amazing sound stage my LCD3 has. It doesn't seem as good. I can't put my finger on it but there is a difference. 

BUT

It feels lighter (because it is), but I have less fatigue, it isolates pretty well and the sound is simply awesome (Punchy, precise, clean).

I'm really I'm not being more precise but I have very little time at the moment. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #3,513 of 6,486
  ok, so I have been listening at my EL-8 Closed non stop....

well, the EL-8 doesn't have the amazing sound stage my LCD3 has. It doesn't seem as good. I can't put my finger on it but there is a difference. 

I think it makes sense that the closed EL-8s don't have the same sound stage as the open 3s. I just want to point this out before others start saying that the EL-8s have bad sound stage. I will say that I had a chance to A/B the closed EL-8s with the open EL-8s and there is a noticeable difference between the two in terms of sound stage. Like I said, just want to throw this out there before people start getting carried away.

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #3,514 of 6,486

I think it makes sense that the closed EL-8s don't have the same sound stage as the open 3s. I just want to point this out before others start saying that the EL-8s have bad sound stage. I will say that I had a chance to A/B the closed EL-8s with the open EL-8s and there is a noticeable difference between the two in terms of sound stage. Like I said, just want to throw this out there before people start getting carried away.

Totally correct! You do right.

I would have loved to go for the Open Back but I feel the Closed back is better suited to my travel needs.

I'll add, to me the EL-8 is priced very competitively. I like it so much I feel that at $999 it would still be worth it. Even the packaging is very very impressive. 

A lot of effort has gone into this HP. Coming from marketing and Advertising I can assure you that the Audeze team has been working and sweating for this one. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #3,515 of 6,486
For those who have already experienced the closed backs, I'd like your comments on leakage.
Is it quiet enough for office use (not your home office... for us cube dwellers!)

Does it block out enough ambient noise to use on a plane?  I understand active noise cancellation or IEM's will isolate better... but thinking of buying a set before a long vacation. 

thanks!

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,516 of 6,486

Totally correct! You do right.

I would have loved to go for the Open Back but I feel the Closed back is better suited to my travel needs.

I'll add, to me the EL-8 is priced very competitively. I like it so much I feel that at $999 it would still be worth it. Even the packaging is very very impressive. 

A lot of effort has gone into this HP. Coming from marketing and Advertising I can assure you that the Audeze team has been working and sweating for this one. 

If it was $999 it'd have to be as good as the LCD-2 and come with a similar if not slimmer case. I just don't think it's up to pair with the LCD-2. That said I'd like Audeze to come out with a $999 price range closed LCD-2C or something along with a 3C. 

Even though the EL8 is not portable it is 'more' portable than other headphones. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,517 of 6,486
Aw man thats a bummer: Headphone.com doesn't ship internationally and i was really looking forward to that discount! They are already 25% more expensive here in europe and with the discount it looked like a even sweeter deal to just buy them in the US and have them shipped here.. i really don't understand those price politics and it's quite unnerving if you really want "a particular headphone" :/ hope to read some more reviews soon.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #3,519 of 6,486
  Aw man thats a bummer: Headphone.com doesn't ship internationally and i was really looking forward to that discount! They are already 25% more expensive here in europe and with the discount it looked like a even sweeter deal to just buy them in the US and have them shipped here.. i really don't understand those price politics and it's quite unnerving if you really want "a particular headphone" :/ hope to read some more reviews soon.

just find someone you trust, ship to their home/work and have them ship it to you :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3,523 of 6,486
I ordered my EL-8 Closed back today. I should say the Audeze team does a great job of supporting their customers. Especially Tasvee and Tony with whom I have been interacting for the past few days. I believe they are in the sales and support department. They are very understanding as I called multiple times to check on the availability of the EL8s. Just imagine they have thousands of customers just in US, despite that they remembered me and I got a call from Tasvee to let me know that the EL-8s were available to order. It shows their commitment and support for the customers. And it seems each and every headphone they ship undergoes an authentic testing by an expert and a certificate signed by that person will be included in the box along with the headphones. How awesome is that :).

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #3,525 of 6,486
I also can say that the Audeze customers support (Tasvee ) worked vey well  no complaints
6 days after rceived trk nr the phones arrived (fdx)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back