Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #3,318 of 6,486
confused.gif
No doubts Audeze cables are fine. But, we need balanced cables ASAP.

No, you don't. 
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,319 of 6,486
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly would balanced cables do to help the EL-8? I am not trying to start a cable argument but wondering what they would do to help this particular headphone.

No, you don't. :p  

To plug it into my balanced headamp with dual XLRs - yes I do :p

I hate adapters. I usually make my own cables but with the EL-8's proprietary plugs I'm at the mercy of Audeze for now.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,322 of 6,486
come on guys no one wants to invite the cable monster to this thread!

Roflmao lol. Well put, I mostly want to read about the sound signature of these cans. If I can hear them in balanced mode cool, but if not cool too.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #3,323 of 6,486
^^ There is no cable monster. Balanced cables will most certainly make a difference if you're amp is balanced. Without them, say on my GS-X Mk2, I'm only using 1/2 of the power and thus only 1/2 of the amp. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #3,324 of 6,486
come on guys no one wants to invite the cable monster to this thread!

Roflmao lol. Well put, I mostly want to read about the sound signature of these cans. If I can hear them in balanced mode cool, but if not cool too.

There have been over a dozen request like yours. I make a single completely legitimate request for balanced cables for a "balanced" amp and I'm ridiculed.

Why don't you simply buy a pair instead of adding to the dozens of pleas for a "sound signature" opinion? It was already stated they have an Audeze sound signature - lol.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #3,325 of 6,486
  ^^ There is no cable monster. Balanced cables will most certainly make a difference if you're amp is balanced. Without them, say on my GS-X Mk2, I'm only using 1/2 of the power and thus only 1/2 of the amp. 

He's right. Unless we start talking about diamond encrested super-optical platinum-plated, oxidized, "Cost more than most people's cars" cables, than there is no cable monster.

There's only three instances where (in my mind) a cable makes any kind of difference:

1) It has an unusually high impedance like the fidelio X1's cable.
2) It's balanced.
3) It's broken.

That's just me though. The three there are the most universal cases though.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3,326 of 6,486
  He's right. Unless we start talking about diamond encrested super-optical platinum-plated, oxidized, "Cost more than most people's cars" cables, than there is no cable monster.

There's only three instances where (in my mind) a cable makes any kind of difference:

1) It has an unusually high impedance like the fidelio X1's cable.
2) It's balanced.
3) It's broken.

That's just me though. The three there are the most universal cases though.

Why would anyone want balanced cables if their amp wasn't balanced? 
wink.gif
 As mentioned, to run in fully balanced mode, amps like the GS-X, need both balanced inputs and outputs...otherwise, its 50% of the circuitry and 50% of the power.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #3,329 of 6,486
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what exactly would balanced cables do to help the EL-8?  I am not trying to start a cable argument but wondering what they would do to help this particular headphone.

Not a dumb question at all...
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/137044-balanced-preamp-outputs-why.html
Just dumb comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back