Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 9, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,016 of 6,486
hi @Mike I have a question for you   after reading your detailed review one time more ,in the case you have the AKxxx player with optical output  ,
what will be your recommendation for an amp/dac unit  ( specifically for the el8s) the alo international optical edition or the ifi micro idsd ?
I now you tryed both but I would like to hear from which you liked more and why
thx

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,017 of 6,486
Mar 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #3,018 of 6,486
Can't wait to hear people's impressions of the closed back headphones.  Got the Oppo PM-3's to try in the interim and so far they are pretty great sounding plus the fact that they are lighter is nice in case I plan to travel with them and the Schiit Fulla.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #3,020 of 6,486
While researching for a new pair of cans I found this EL-8 spec at the Audeze site,

Pg 14 & 16: "Total harmonic distortion <0.01% through entire frequency range" !!!

eek.gif

And that is the exact reason why I love orthos so much. No it may not have the impact of a huge dynamic speaker on your ear but holy cow is it clear.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #3,022 of 6,486
Mar 9, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3,024 of 6,486

This man applied the same logic to visible light:

Less distortion than every other Audeze, too, apparently.
I really hope that the EL-8 is flat, or around flat.

It'd be great if it really does have such low distortion, whether we can hear the difference or not. However, you have to be very careful about manufacturer specs like this and frequency response, they can be very misleading. For example, the spec doesn't mention at what volume or power input the 0.01% distortion was measured. I mean, technically you could measure any headphone at less than 0.01% distortion if it's turned off
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #3,026 of 6,486
  Less distortion than every other Audeze, too, apparently.
I really hope that the EL-8 is flat, or around flat.

Why would you want them flat? I mean they lay flat but you want some curve especially around the headband! 

I kid.

From what I've seen they seem to be pretty similar to the LCD-2. I'd love to see some InnerFedility measurements for comparison. 

It'd be great if it really does have such low distortion, whether we can hear the difference or not. However, you have to be very careful about manufacturer specs like this and frequency response, they can be very misleading. For example, the spec doesn't mention at what volume or power input the 0.01% distortion was measured. I mean, technically you could measure any headphone at less than 0.01% distortion if it's turned off 
wink.gif

Well one thing is with it being an ortho, we can be assured it'll be hella low. 

Quote:
  did you also notice the frequency range 10 hz -50khz not that we can hear anything at 50khz  but Ive read about "Inaudible" frequencies and harmonics do make a difference in the perception of the audible range.

Same goes for both directions. We really can't hear around 30hz at moderate volumes but we can definitely tell its there even on headphones. I'd imagine the same would be definitely true about higher than our ability to hear in the upper registers. I for one can hear up into the 16khz registers and can't definetly hear if a headphone is rolled off in that register. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,028 of 6,486

wink.gif

Okay, thanks :D
That's some good advice to know.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #3,029 of 6,486
  Does anyone know if the pads are removable yet or do they adhere like the rest of the Audeze line?

all audeze earpads are indeed removable though you will need to replace the sticky tape that they use to attach the earpads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back