Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 4, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,941 of 6,486
If you are looking at it from a cost perspective, the lowest price I've seen for the T1 is $900. The EL-8 are $699 MSRP and I expect that within a few months you will be able to find used or open box ones for $600 or less.

The T1 is the beyerdynamic open dynamic flagship competing with the sennheiser hd800 and akg k812 pro. Planar flagships include the Audeze LCD-X/LCD-3, Hifiman HE-6/HE-560, and the Oppo PM1.

The EL-8 is a high-end (so luxury mid-fi but under summit-fi) orthodynamic pair of headphones competing (price-wise) with other planar magnetic options like the HE-400i, HE-560, Fostex TH500, Oppo PM1/2, and Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog/Alpha Dog Pro. They are closely priced to some other upper mid-fi dynamic options like the closed TH600.

Audeze also offers the LCD-2 which is quite close to the pricing of the T1 and EL-8, so that is another highly rated classic option to consider.

You should pick based on your sound signature preference. If you don't have a sound signature preference, then you can look into the multitude of other options at similar price points. I am assuming that the EL-8 is the same price as the T1 in Singapore due to mark-up, so from a dollar:performance perspective you may be overpaying a bit for that, but if you love the sound signature, it can be a good investment.

edit: I personally would always go for a flagship offering if budget is not a concern. I prefer planars over dynamics, so I would actually pick the HE-560 or LCD-X from my personal auditioning experience. hahah sorry that is not either of your presented choices.

For your specific choices, I personally would consider the T1 if I was looking between the T1/HD800/K812 pro, but I would pick the K812 pro personally out of those choices followed by the T1 and HD800 (based on personal sound sig preference). For the EL-8, I would choose between closed EL-8 against the Oppo PM-3 (possibly the TH-600s) for high-end closed portable usage or I would consider the open EL-8 vs the LCD-2 or Hifiman HE-400i if going for an upper mid-fi pair of open headphones for home listening due to cost restraints preventing a flagship purchase right now or if looking from a more budget-minded great performance per dollar type perspective. for noise-isolating at home listening, I think the closed el-8 or the closed mr. speaker's alpha dog line-up or the closed audeze xc or the th900 are your only real closed high-end options.

your purchasing decision may be different, but that's how I would look at it!! (if advising independent of sound signature preferences) hope this is helpful :)

I've seen (and bought) T1s at below $750. Not to diminish your point or anything. Also, never, ever use Th600 or th900 for portable use. They're too fragile and leak sound more than even the T1. Alpha Dogs could work thiugh.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #2,942 of 6,486
I've seen (and bought) T1s at below $750. Not to diminish your point or anything. Also, never, ever use Th600 or th900 for portable use. They're too fragile and leak sound more than even the T1. Alpha Dogs could work thiugh.

Yes the Alpha Dogs are alright for portable use, just a tad bulky, but isolate ever so well. I wonder how well does MrSpeakers Mad DOG Pro's isolate? I hope the EL-8 closed back does isolate well.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #2,943 of 6,486
  Ive only had them on 10 mins listing to Beck Morning Phase at the moment on Tidal.

Im definitely liking what im hearing at the moment. i wil have to apologize im not good with audiophile terminology.

They are very rich sounding, bass seem really good and quite deep sounding  but not overpowering, the treble isn't sibilant.

Sorry im not the best at describing what it sounds like, im glad i bought them from what ive head so far.

At the moment its just a really nice and relaxing sounding im gonna give the Beck album a play though and see how it compares on the LCD-2.

If you own or have heard HD650/600's, can you say anything about how those compare to the Audeze? Just what's most striking to you. Forget about terminology.

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #2,944 of 6,486
  Hi all - I'm new to this forum and really enjoyed reading all the comments on the EL-8.

I have a very novice question. I live in Singapore. Here the pre-order for the EL-8's are going for slightly higher than what's available in the US and expected to go even higher once launched. This is completely acceptable given taxes, shipping costs etc. 

However, the Beyerdynamic T1's are available for exactly what the EL-8's are going for.

So my, extremely novice questions is ... which one is a better buy??! 
gs1000.gif

I know that the sound signature of the T1 and the EL-8 is very different and I spent quite a bit of time auditioning both. And eventually it is a personal preference. But given a choice, which one would you go for ... given they cost exactly the same here.

Thanks a ton!!

Well, the difference in sound is something you will have to decide for yourself, but the T5p is a real portable headphone, and closed, so it's a real all-rounder. The EL-8 simply isn't. If you like the T1, you should check out the t5p.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #2,945 of 6,486
  Hi all - I'm new to this forum and really enjoyed reading all the comments on the EL-8.

I have a very novice question. I live in Singapore. Here the pre-order for the EL-8's are going for slightly higher than what's available in the US and expected to go even higher once launched. This is completely acceptable given taxes, shipping costs etc. 

However, the Beyerdynamic T1's are available for exactly what the EL-8's are going for.

gs1000.gif

I know that the sound signature of the T1 and the EL-8 is very different and I spent quite a bit of time auditioning both. And eventually it is a personal preference. But given a choice, which one would you go for ... given they cost exactly the same here.

Thanks a ton!!

Have a look at the Oppos as well:

OPPO PM 1 Planar Magnetic Headphones: 395 g (without cable) - $1099
OPPO PM 2 Planar Magnetic Headphones: 385 g  (without cable) - $699
OPPO PM 3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphones: 320 g (without cable) - $399

(the PM1/PM2 are on InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-open)

versus

AUDEZE EL-8 (Open-Back): 460g (without cable) - $699
AUDEZE EL-8 (Closed-Back): 480g (without cable) -$699

The EL-8 isn't a portable HP at 480g.

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,946 of 6,486
Well, the difference in sound is something you will have to decide for yourself, but the T5p is a real portable headphone, and closed, so it's a real all-rounder. The EL-8 simply isn't. If you like the T1, you should check out the t5p.

The T5P is kinda spastically bright and not for everyone. Then again, from what Tyll said, the closed EL-8 may have the same thing going on.

Audeze was marketing the the el-8 for portable use, especially since a potato and a basket of frenchfries can drive it.

Also, to the gentleman asking about Mad Dog Pro leakage...they do leak a lot more than the Alpha and Mad dog.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,947 of 6,486

gs1000.gif

Thanks a ton!!

Sorry, I'm not following...

You say you "spent quite a bit of time auditioning both" and you are asking us which is the better deal? You will get at least 100 different answers. You must let your own ears tell you which is the better deal.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,948 of 6,486
Yes the Alpha Dogs are alright for portable use, just a tad bulky, but isolate ever so well. I wonder how well does MrSpeakers Mad DOG Pro's isolate? I hope the EL-8 closed back does isolate well.

If they are anything like the XC and I think they will be as far as isolation goes they will be good not great. The Alpha Dog/Prime isolates very well because it has such a thick walled pad. It is blackout quite compared to the XC. I'd rather have a little bit less isolation and have little to no sound likage. The XC is just about perfect. It isolates more than the TH600's but less than the Alpha Dog/Prime. I can still hear loud outside noises which is important to me. If I need complete isolation, I'll just use my IEM/CIEM's. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,949 of 6,486

oh cool! well i just havent seen a new t1 cheaper than $900, used t1 may possibly go that low.

mmm i actually have a friend who uses the th600 portably so it is possible, but i agree is not ideal as they do not noise isolate well and do leak sound

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #2,950 of 6,486

gs1000.gif

Thanks a ton!!

From what I've heard, the preorder for one of these at AVOne goes at 999SGD, which is more than reasonable considering the current exchange rate.

That being said, go with your ears.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,951 of 6,486
I pre-order EL-8 in Thailand that cost 800 USD. Price in Singapore seem to be much lower.
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2,953 of 6,486
The T5P is kinda spastically bright and not for everyone. Then again, from what Tyll said, the closed EL-8 may have the same thing going on.

Audeze was marketing the the el-8 for portable use, especially since a potato and a basket of frenchfries can drive it.

Also, to the gentleman asking about Mad Dog Pro leakage...they do leak a lot more than the Alpha and Mad dog.

Unless something has changed since CES, the EL-8 is actually harder to drive than the LCD-X (as confirmed by myself and Mike Mercer).  I know they were making some tweaks but I don't know if changing the impedance is a "tweak" or a "redesign".  (I mean literally, I don't know...they may have changed it.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #2,954 of 6,486

Unless something has changed since CES, the EL-8 is actually harder to drive than the LCD-X (as confirmed by myself and Mike Mercer).  I know they were making some tweaks but I don't know if changing the impedance is a "tweak" or a "redesign".  (I mean literally, I don't know...they may have changed it.)

The EL-8 has a sensitivity of 102 db/mw, and a resistance of 30 ohms. The LCD-X has a sensitivity of 103 db/mw and 20 ohms.

So yes, you're right.  It's a small difference though, as both are very, very easy to drive.

I think you're thinking of the Audeze Z or whatever with like 120 ohm resistance or something.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #2,955 of 6,486

I dont think they are changing the impedance this is complete memrane electrical pathern redesign it requires extensive tests and time , time is critical so the release of the EL8 mk2 with an updated impedance will be not so quickly (not less than six months  from now IMO )
as  for driving the el8s(102 dbm) compared the lcdx(103 dbm) to get the same acoustic power , there is only a 1dbm difference , any amp could give you this increased power 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back