Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 20, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #2,611 of 6,486
This NEEDS to happen....Audeze will have just trashed some of its BMW investment without it...

Right?!! I mean, more iconic than the wood of the LCD series, it's the A on the grill ... Can't believe they didn't think of this. I bet, BMW DesignWorks only designed the open-back, and Audeze stuck a plate on for the closed-back :p

Most of their staff are engineers after all ... and we all know how engineers are with designing stuff, haha.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #2,613 of 6,486
Agreed....it's one of their brand signatures....the wood needs to stay....but so does the A etching on the cup....

OH,

I NEVER intended to ask them to do away w/ the wood veneer accent!
I love it on the open-back EL-8s. I merely suggested they should offer an all-black version as well@

As I'm going to be using the closed-backs out in the world more often than any open-back of course, and I just think an all-black model would be so sexy, modern, sleek, and: Attract more of the non-converted!!!!
biggrin.gif

and I'm pumped to get a pair of the closed-backs in for review!!!!

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,614 of 6,486
Wood is just good....full stop. Even brands like hifiman went with wood recently.....

Agreed, I like the look of wood with metal & leather, the mix of textures works.

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #2,615 of 6,486
there is a countinous competition here  who disagree more about the new el8 design
Audeze IMO has all the rights to go new designs ,people open a war againt moving from the classical design to modern
Personally I like the combination of plastic and veneer 
I still happy with my preorder of my closed back el8 
I had not changed my mind even so much people here come against 
IMO it looks beatifull and the overall design is very nice
I am sure many will desagree but the el8 is  an Audeze even  if the "A" logo isnt there

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #2,616 of 6,486
  there is a countinous competition here  who disagree more about the new el8 design
Audeze IMO has all the rights to go new designs ,people open a war againt moving from the classical design to modern
Personally I like the combination of plastic and veneer 
I still happy with my preorder of my closed back el8 
I had not changed my mind even so much people here come against 
IMO it looks beatifull and the overall design is very nice
I am sure many will desagree but the el8 is an Audeze even if the "A" logo isnt there

More so a Sennheiser in its design than Audeze
biggrin.gif

And EL-8 has no plastic per say. It's metal, leather (not sure if synthetic, protein or real) and wood veneer.

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #2,621 of 6,486
  John H. Darko at Digital Audio Review just posted a first set of initial impressions: 

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/02/audeze-el-8-headphones-first-impressions-and-comparisons/

Thanks for the link.

It seems that the Oppo PM-2 are more efficient than the EL-8.

@Mike, that'd be great if you could compare the efficiency of the EL-8 versus the LCD-X.  I was able to drive the LCD-X and the Oppo PM-2 easily with an iPod Touch 5G but I don't understand why the EL-8 would be harder to drive than the PM-2 while the sensitivity specs are the same for both headphones ?

Thanks

Feb 20, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #2,622 of 6,486
my immagination is working hard and I think just found why there are two connectors with 4 pins each

if I right  ,there are already a connection between the two connectors ecach one has left/left gnd and right/right gnd inside the audeze (closed)
with this pin out will be a new cable for portable use (insteed of the Y) with may be a RC control  , the user could have the
choise to connect the one side cable to the left or the right cable
IMO is useless to use 4 pins for 2 wires only

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #2,624 of 6,486
Wood is just good....full stop. Even brands like hifiman went with wood recently.....

Might want to point out that HiFiMan used "real" wood in their HE-560 and not veneer.  Their HE-1000 might be veneer but the wood grain was a better choice.  For a highend brand like Audeze, I say keep with a classy faux wood veneer or opt out.  The lighter color zebra wood veneer is borderline cheap looking.  The darker richer looking version is more palatable but still iffy.  The headphone design is gorgeous, it's just some finishing touches needs to be addressed.  The idea of having an engraved or etched "A grill" on the close back would be a nice finishing touch.  In my opinion, that's Audeze's icon grill design they should stick with but modernize it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back