Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #2,581 of 6,486

Mike has posted he isn't upset and Audeze had cleared up any confusion.
Time to let this go and get back to discussing the headphones.

o2smile.gif

RTFO!!

On my last track for this EL-8 open-back sunrise listening session!

"Here To Fall" (Pete Rock Remix) - Here To Fall Remixes - Yo La Tengo
Live Impression

This has to be one of the hottest Pete Rock remixes I've ever dropped on the dance-floor. It's got that classic Pete Rock pulsing bass line. It weaves to the front of the stage and ripples back, while also swaying side-to-side, creating this rhythmic wave that's just head-bobbingly infectious. But the systems gotta have speed AND precision to give this track what it needs to move people. Dimensionality is key too, as that bass line hovers, the vocal samples swish across the stage. 

The Burson Conductor Virtuoso + EL-8 open-back systems not only handling the BASS with ease, rendering a textural, almost tactile feeling - like I can reach out and grab the kick as it slams and recoils (with no hints of over-hang). The sound-stage also has the air and spaciousness I just mentioned above - creating a wide, deep sense of field. The sound is dark, but club-dark, not dark in terms off mood. It's drivy and moody.

The EL-8s doing a wicked job. I think there's something to the single-sided driver methodology employed here that gives the EL-8 a nudge in the transient speed - and this maybe the edge it has over other cans in this range...

Damn, I'm loving this - but I gotta go get some sleep!

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2,582 of 6,486
Think I am sold on these headphones. I seem to have very similar appreciation in music as you Mike, and like what you’re saying so far.
Hoping that these will be a step up from Q701... looking forward to the demo I have booked soon as they arrive, which I hope is soon. Definitely got the bug, only recently took the dive in the world of HP and already looking for more perfection.
Next will be looking at upgrading my DAC, which is Audiolab Q-Dac.

Do you have any recommendation so far looking at Deckard or the ifi idsd micro or Pro when available as possible?

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #2,583 of 6,486
Audeze,

Much respect for persevering with the token internet forum pedantism. Just wanted to say I am very much looking forward to receiving my closed EL-8s (including their cables and veneer). I already have the LCD-2 Rev 2 and LCD-X and am quietly confident these will complement them nicely. 
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,585 of 6,486
Yeah but he's an actor so that doesn't count.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #2,587 of 6,486
Just saying it doesn't make them portable despite what Giovanni Ribisi thinks.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,590 of 6,486
I'm glad that the mini xlr connectors are gone. Aesthetically they are my biggest gripe about LCD's. They do also get in the way as they hit my shoulders when I turn my head. Headband looks better too which is another bad part of LCD's. Only fault remaining is the weight. Already starting to get used to the weight of LCD2's. But if you use another pair of headphones in between the LCD's of course feel heavy in comparison.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #2,591 of 6,486

I can just see someone wearing these in public........breakaway magnetic proprietary connectors?  All you need do, is to outrun someone wearing them, and you have a smash and grab situation!

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,592 of 6,486

I can just see someone wearing these in public........breakaway magnetic proprietary connectors?  All you need do, is to outrun someone wearing them, and you have a smash and grab situation!

Not much different than any other headphone - I don't think the breakaway cable is a real factor considering the stories of people having their Beats stolen.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #2,593 of 6,486

Not much different than any other headphone - I don't think the breakaway cable is a real factor considering the stories of people having their Beats stolen.

Are beats worth $699?

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #2,595 of 6,486

No but I'm sure they'd be a lot easier for a thief to sell than anything by Audeze since the average guy has no clue about Audeze. Everyone knows Beats though.

Yep. I've never even heard of Audeze before I joined this forum. To an average person they might as well be some cheapo asian brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back