Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 4, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2,176 of 6,486

Good point! Hopefully these work well with most DAP's out there, and without the need for a seperate amp. I don't think most people want to bring stacks of gear with them for true portable use. If my iPhone 6 can power it sufficiently (especially now that TIDAL is available) then this may be a game changer for me.

funny I just read this!

Just got a new iPhone 6 today - gotta get it all squared-away at the AT&T store tomorrow (get all my stuff moved over from my 4S)
and then I'm trying that w/ the EL-8s pronto!

About to use my Glove Audio A1 (CEntrance) + AK120 - glad you dug this too Darko! GREAT review BTW..

also going to try it w/ the AK120 w/o the Glove (already used it w/ my AK240 first - need to post some impressions of that).

My buddies Galaxy (not sure which model, but its HUGE) just drove em far better than I expected! Well, I guess I wasn't all that surprised after using my lil' NuForce uDAC3 to drive em - and I really enjoyed the sound of that combo!

He's going to let me borrow that Galaxy phone to do some impressions with - I'm pretty sure it's the latest model.
I'll ask...

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #2,177 of 6,486
"...and I've just wanted Audeze cans I can put in my bag (NOT my roadcase) that sound like MUSIC..."

100%! Was looking for a HP I could put in any bag with speaker-like music and there ain't any! EL-8 is perfect for this. Glad they didn't make it too small in exchange for SQ.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #2,178 of 6,486
Good point! Hopefully these work well with most DAP's out there, and without the need for a seperate amp. I don't think most people want to bring stacks of gear with them for true portable use. If my iPhone 6 can power it sufficiently (especially now that TIDAL is available) then this may be a game changer for me.

The headphone amps in portable phones are just too darn weak (25mW/45mW apple/android respectively) to really do the el8 justice. Audeze did a good job with lowering the minimum power requirements of this set of 'phones to 200mW min, 4w max... but just using an idevice would be a waste. That said, there are a lot of choices in portable amps that will put out 200-400mW. You also might consider something like the ak110 II if you want a "one device" (DAP + DAC + AMP) that presents itself in a small footprint.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #2,180 of 6,486

Sure - cannibalising your own product range makes real business sense - duh!

Better be the one cannibalising your own product lines than have a competitor do it for you.

I suggest you read Jason's thread, it's a pretty good read. :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up

Edit: Opps, I'm a little late, just ignore my post.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #2,181 of 6,486
The headphone amps in portable phones are just too darn weak (25mW/45mW apple/android respectively) to really do the el8 justice. Audeze did a good job with lowering the minimum power requirements of this set of 'phones to 200mW min, 4w max... but just using an idevice would be a waste. That said, there are a lot of choices in portable amps that will put out 200-400mW. You also might consider something like the ak110 II if you want a "one device" (DAP + DAC + AMP) that presents itself in a small footprint.

I know the specs don't make this believable - but, like I said earlier - I just used a friends latest Galaxy phone w/ the open-back EL-8s earlier this afternoon (well, technically yesterday) - and it drove em' FAR better than expected! I could've used more headroom of course - but I dug the sound via TIDAL!

Also - used my lil' NuForce uDAC3 to drive them last night - after using my Woo WA7 Fireflies + Mytek Stereo-192 DAC.

I just did it just for giggles - but, and I couldn't believe it - I really enjoyed that pairing sonically! Now - I'm not saying the uDAC3 is not up to par - (after all, I kept my review sample) but I didn't think it could pull it off - but, it did! And, the pairing turned out to be an enjoyable, dynamic, and downright engaging musical experience!

Detailed Early Impressions on that combo coming SOON

Feb 5, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #2,182 of 6,486
so far untill now anyboty hit the audeze buy buttom I did it yesyerday
it iis not a perfect HP ok ii am not afraid of imperfections 
I beleive that audeze had accumulated enough technologies (old and new) to do good sounding products
not anybody  will like them  ok
is the same if you like a car with a specific colour of YOUR TASTE and others dont like it
i know very well the LCD HP family and think the new family member will sound almost identical to the big borthers
new technologies help to reduce cost and at the same time even increasing the SQ
the released EL8 graphs speak for themselves (very closed to the lcds)
i am glad that  now I am in the waiting list for the closed el8's anybody else here  ?

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2,186 of 6,486
As some people seem to have bizarre notions of how much power these headphones need, I'll just post this table:

Code:
mW dB
1 102
2 105
4 108
8 111
16 114
32 117
64 120
128 123
256 126
512 129
1024 132
2048 135
4096 138

and this one:

Code:
Sound sources (noise) dB

Jet aircraft, 50 m away 140 
 Threshold of pain 130 
 Threshold of discomfort 120 
 Chainsaw, 1 m distance 110 
 Disco, 1 m from speaker 100 
 Diesel truck, 10 m away 90 
 Kerbside of busy road, 5 m 80 
 Vacuum cleaner, distance 1 m 70 
 Conversational speech, 1 m 60 
 Average home 50 
 Quiet library 40 
 Quiet bedroom at night 30 
 Background in TV studio 20 
 Rustling leaves in distance 10 
 Hearing threshold 0

8 mW = a chainsaw at 1 m = ouch :basshead:

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,187 of 6,486
As some people seem to have bizarre notions of how much power these headphones need,
8 mW = a chainsaw at 1 m = ouch
basshead.gif

LOL, I'm often thinking the same thing on this forum. 110dB (6mW) should be more than anyone needs, and that's just the brief transients.

Perhaps what people really mean is more gain, not more power?

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,188 of 6,486

LOL, I'm often thinking the same thing on this forum. 110dB (6mW) should be more than anyone needs, and that's just the brief transients.

Perhaps what people really mean is more gain, not more power?

I feel like it's more than just volume though. My iPhone can drive my HE-400s to a solid listening volume, but it sounds pretty bad. Roughly the same volume on my Asgard 2 sounds infinitely better.

Feb 5, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,189 of 6,486
the yoke design of these EL-8 reminds me so much of sennheiser

Might be a German engineer thing...Quote:Originally Posted by Dukei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the yoke design of these EL-8 reminds me so much of sennheiserQuote: Originally Posted by kapanak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I immediately thought of the Sennheiser HD5XX series of past and present when I saw the EL-8. Even the wood trim ... (HD598).

In the same context, many automobiles nowadays share simliar sleek design features probably for familiarities sake.

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,190 of 6,486
As some people seem to have bizarre notions of how much power these headphones need, I'll just post this table:

it is not bizarre notions of power requirements, it is actually just what Audeze recommends on their website: 200mW to 4W. obviously you will not need to 4W to reach listenable volumes with their low impedance and high efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back