Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,728 of 6,486
I don't think the "TH600" are actually planar magnetic type though after checking?

No, they're not.  I don't get why someone would have to have a planar magnetic though.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #1,729 of 6,486
Jan 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,731 of 6,486
Yeah but I can't fit a TH600 in my briefcase :wink: It's also not really built to be a portable/transportable, from the reviews I've read on its build quality.

As for the sound comparison, well, only ears will tell.

Quote:
  I'm mostly concerned about how it compares to other closed pseudo-summit-fi cans, like the TH600, especially now that you can pick up the TH600 for ~$450 used.  It's gonna face some stiff competition for sure.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,733 of 6,486
Yeah but I can't fit a TH600 in my briefcase :wink: It's also not really built to be a portable/transportable, from the reviews I've read on its build quality.

http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00BF6IKL4
What about this?

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,734 of 6,486
It's a different sound for sure.  I tend to think even the most neutral dynamic drivers tend to have to overcome a bit of warmth in tuning, but planars start at zero. It's a more "naturally neutral," organic type of sound IMO; the music sounds like white on black instead of black on white. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me XP Definitely have to hear it to understand.

Quote:
Ive never heard a planar magnetic hp before so I guess I'm curious.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #1,735 of 6,486
But when I'm traveling and already have a duffle and briefcase/laptop bag, I don't wanna hold anything else or have stuff caribinered to my other stuff. Just annoying...one more thing taking up my leg room or jammed in the overhead with everyone else's crap smooshing it in on itself...

Quote:
  http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-Extra-Large/dp/B00BF6IKL4
What about this?

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,737 of 6,486
I guess hearing a planar magnetic headphone myself is the best test to understand their sound characteristics?

Well I would listen to a few. I thought the HE-560 was poor but the LCD-X is the best headphone I've ever heard

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #1,738 of 6,486
Well I would listen to a few. I thought the HE-560 was poor but the LCD-X is the best headphone I've ever heard

Yes, members have commented on how good the lcdx is and even directly from an iPhone but I also understand they are quite heavy so the el8's are lighter but I'm unsure how they compare in weight to my hd800's which can feel heavy after sometime in using them?

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,739 of 6,486
Really? I feel like the HD800s are so light...I think the EL-8 is a bit heavier. Not a lot, but noticeably.

I'd say, though, that if you like the HD800, don't expect the EL-8 to sound much like it at all. Both are pretty neutral-sounding, but tend to deviate on opposite ends of what could be termed "neutral." It would make a great complimentary tuning as long as you're not just trying to find a "portable HD800."

Quote:
Yes, members have commented on how good the lcdx is and even directly from an iPhone but I also understand they are quite heavy so the el8's are lighter but I'm unsure how they compare in weight to my hd800's which can feel heavy after sometime in using them?

Definitely.
I guess hearing a planar magnetic headphone myself is the best test to understand their sound characteristics?

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,740 of 6,486

Exactly...im always wearing my headphones. 24-7. hell i sometimes walk outside at work still forgetting i have them on, I'm really a fan of portable designs especially flat folding ones...one thing i did not enjoy when i went from my aviators to the crushers was they couldn't fold flat. (swivel the ear cups to make em flat) and also one thing i did not enjoy about the P7's. but yeah just my .02 cents. 

Get hyped! Canjam coming soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back