Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,441 of 6,486
I've read reviews of the LCD-X here already and they all pretty much say they are pretty great headphones and from the op reviewer video of the el8's he commented that they were very similar to the lcd-x's which does make me think why not just reduce the price of the lcd-x's to what these new el8's are suggested to be anyway? (Rather than release the el8's?)

But then I guess the more light weightless and styling may also be reason for the el8's also which as the op reviewer also states is now becoming a major component these days in headphones and not exclusive of sq alone
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound of the EL-8 is closest to that of the LCD-X, when comparing against other Audeze headphones.  By that I mean it's a little more "fun" than "reference".  Don't make the mistake of thinking it sounds anywhere near as good, however.  I think that was a bit of hyperbole on Jude's part, personally. 

I really have come to value that quality, as well. I love the added flexibility that an easy-to-drive headphone offers. I don't wear my LCD-Xs in public, but I love that I can just toss them in the Pelican case with my iPod and take them with me wherever. Good times.

The LCD-X sounded fantastic right out of the Pono.  I neglected to try the EL-8 direct from the Pono so I can't say if they sound as good without amping.  But like I said before, the EL-8 is harder to drive than the LCD-X so this could make a difference...

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,442 of 6,486
  I suspect the LCD-X is a lot more expensive to produce, with the wooden parts, and double sided magnet topology.

But LCD-X doesn't have wooden parts. 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #1,443 of 6,486
I suspect the LCD-X is a lot more expensive to produce, with the wooden parts, and double sided magnet topology.

From what I gather the lcd-x has no wood, just metal, plus it's currently in production and according to op reviewer the el8 has many patent pending new features which maybe suggest lots of costs in developing, plus the el8 uses wood in its earcup design yet are looking to sell for $699?

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,444 of 6,486
Jan 12, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,445 of 6,486
From what I gather the lcd-x has no wood, just metal, plus it's currently in production and according to op reviewer the el8 has many patent pending new features which maybe suggest lots of costs in developing, plus the el8 uses wood in its earcup design yet are looking to sell for $699?

The strip of veneer costs nothing. That's not the same as carving a large piece of solid wood.

Yes, the R&D costs may have been high, but it seems Audeze intends to make this their highest volume seller, so the R&D cost will be amortized over many units.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,446 of 6,486

Well, it does take some skill to EQ properly, and not all EQ software is created equal. I'd be happy to bet there's not a single headphone which can't benefit from EQ, though I'll agree that with some, the benefit might be marginal. But the opportunity to control all peaks and dips and tailor the frequency response to your own taste is a powerful one. So many people here are rejecting headphones which they like overall but reject because of some anomaly in the frequency response. It can be avoided.

Ironically, one of the things that attracted me to headphones after decades of chasing room EQ in home theater for years was not needing to address room modes with EQ.

It's one of the reasons I focus on headphones that fit my sound signature preferences, but definitely agree that EQ can generally help if well applied. My LCD3s are close enough that I haven't been compelled to go down the EQ path, but I could see that changing using EL-8s as a portable can.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,448 of 6,486

The strip of veneer costs nothing. That's not the same as carving a large piece of solid wood.

Yes, the R&D costs may have been high, but it seems Audeze intends to make this their highest volume seller, so the R&D cost will be amortized over many units.

This. Wood veneer comes in giant rolls, you just have to stamp em out and glue em on. It's a far cry from having to work with shaping solid wood.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,450 of 6,486
I've read reviews of the LCD-X here already and they all pretty much say they are pretty great headphones and from the op reviewer video of the el8's he commented that they were very similar to the lcd-x's which does make me think why not just reduce the price of the lcd-x's to what these new el8's are suggested to be anyway? (Rather than release the el8's?)

But then I guess the more light weightless and styling may also be reason for the el8's also which as the op reviewer also states is now becoming a major component these days in headphones and not exclusive of sq alone
smily_headphones1.gif

Good points...that's the main reason I want to hear this thing asap, cause I highly doubt it will approach the LCD-X in terms of overall sound...at least in terms of my evaluation and preferences. I was quite happy with my nicer headphones until the X came along and just completely captivated me. Anything is possible, and I'm sure it's a fantstic headphone, but I sincerely doubt it'll make my Xs nervous in the least. 

(By the way, you were right about Dumb and Dumber To...a bit disappointing :frowning2:  )

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,451 of 6,486

The sound of the EL-8 is closest to that of the LCD-X, when comparing against other Audeze headphones.  By that I mean it's a little more "fun" than "reference".  Don't make the mistake of thinking it sounds anywhere near as good, however.  I think that was a bit of hyperbole on Jude's part, personally. 

Yep, this is what I'm expecting to find, as well. Thanks for the feedback. The X is the closest thing I've ever heard to perfect in terms of what I like in a headphone. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,452 of 6,486
  Comments from Tyl in another forum :

"I agree the closed EL-8 was too bright, but I'd also say the open one was bass-light and a tad strident.  They aren't quite finished with the tuning of them yet, so I expect we'll see some changes before release.

Fang's HE-1000 was an astonishingly pleasant surprise. Really clean, wonderfully well balanced, best thing I've heard from him in orthos to date. Really, really nice.

I found the Nighthawk a disappointment. Had a muffled sounding lower mid-range. mid-mids and up were very nice, but I suspect 5db too low relative to the bass to lower-mid range.

Now, did anyone else hear the Enigma Acoustics Darma headphone? No? We'll, holy **** you missed out. A real stunner.  Hybrid dynamic w/estat tweeter.  Crossover at 8kHz. Expected price at $1.5k, I think. This and the HE-1000 were the best things I heard at the show.

Didn't hear it, but Pass labs was showing a new headphone amp. (Not designed by Nelson.) That's one I'm looking forward to hearing."

Everything that Tyl thinks is too bright, I personally enjoy very much.  And I don't consider myself to be all that crazy about forward, hyper detailed sound.  I actually do prefer a touch of warmth.  

So if the EL-8 is on the bright side for Tyl, I am going to venture a guess and say I will like its signature a lot 
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,453 of 6,486
Well, I think Tyll's ears have no hearing damage/deterioration.

Neither do mine.  I like how you imply that those who disagree with Tyll, and therefore you (yes, I saw your post about your ear vs Tyll) have damaged ears.  

No damaged hearing here.  Just a different preference in sound compared with Tyll.  

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #1,454 of 6,486

Neither do mine.  I like how you imply that those who disagree with Tyll, and therefore you (yes, I saw your post about your ear vs Tyll) have damaged ears.  

No damaged hearing here.  Just a different preference in sound compared with Tyll.  

I have yet to hear anyone ever admit they have a hearing issue...everyone into head-fi has perfect hearing lol

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,455 of 6,486

I have yet to hear anyone ever admit they have a hearing issue...everyone into head-fi has perfect hearing lol

bigsmile_face.gif
  Ha, Good point.

I'd like to have the perfect hearing ability of recording engineer Bob Katz (seriously, his hearing has been certified), but unfortunately, I didn't possess that particular genetic lottery ticket!

http://www.digido.com/about-us/staff-a-studios.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back