Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 5, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #196 of 6,486
Just gotta say, having an immensely good time reading through the various guesses and theories.  :D  Keep 'em comin'!

You're cruel Warren, but then again I'd do the same!

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #197 of 6,486
If Alex has already said the EL-8 won't replace the LCD line, it seems like it would be confusing to price them close to $1000. Then they'd have two open headphones at about the same price, with the existing product at a higher level. If the EL8 was only closed back, that would make more sense, since the XC is a big step up in price.

Personally, I think the X is already confusing.  From the reviews, it's only "better" than the LCD-2f in certain circumstances, making the pricing somewhat confusing for me.  The XC, being closed, doesn't compete with the 2 or 3 so I'm just talking about the X.

I think the EL-8 is a different enough product that you could price it similarly and not confuse people.  At least based on the looks and the branding.  The only really valid reason (again in my humble opinion) to differentiate with price is if the sound is very similar to the LCD-2.  But then you're probably looking at the price going UP not down.

No, I suspect it's going to look better, be more comfortable and more portable but at the expense of SQ.  This will let them price it at $1k or less.  If the SQ is on par with the other cans, it'll have to be priced higher.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #198 of 6,486
I'm *beyond* excited.... without even hearing them, I already put my order in :)  My rep says I am first in line.... I think he's just trying to make me feel special :)

The #1 piece of feedback from the recent headphone get together hosted here was the weight of the LCD series units got in the way of them being portable.... and lots of folks want the flexibility to use the cans in various situations to suit their lifestyle... it's why the iFi Audio Micro iDSD is so popular... it's a freakin' swiss army knife of options and flexibility in a great sounding product priced well.  I think this is going to be very popular....  I can't wait to get mine.  I'm already dreaming of how I'm going to be able to listen to them all day long as I walk around, pack boxes, work at my desk, etc...

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #199 of 6,486
  I'm *beyond* excited.... without even hearing them, I already put my order in :)  My rep says I am first in line.... I think he's just trying to make me feel special :)

The #1 piece of feedback from the recent headphone get together hosted here was the weight of the LCD series units got in the way of them being portable.... and lots of folks want the flexibility to use the cans in various situations to suit their lifestyle... it's why the iFi Audio Micro iDSD is so popular... it's a freakin' swiss army knife of options and flexibility in a great sounding product priced well.  I think this is going to be very popular....  I can't wait to get mine.  I'm already dreaming of how I'm going to be able to listen to them all day long as I walk around, pack boxes, work at my desk, etc...

soooo... if you already put in an order, did they tell you the pricing slash release date?? :):)

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #200 of 6,486
:):):)

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #201 of 6,486
From the BMW drawing it looks like they might fold (like the Senn Urbanites) and thus be really portable, but the the pic from our friend Jude doesn't seem to show a hinge. However, they might have only allowed him to release photos that didn't show too much. Kind of like the PG-13 version of the movie! Hope they're great (although I just got my K10's, so I'm all set for portable!).

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #202 of 6,486
Hoping this is high sensitivity and relatively easy to drive and $800 at max (ideally around $700). I want to use it with my AK240 if the sound suits me :) best looking audeze imo

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #203 of 6,486
Personally, I think the X is already confusing.  From the reviews, it's only "better" than the LCD-2f in certain circumstances, making the pricing somewhat confusing for me.  The XC, being closed, doesn't compete with the 2 or 3 so I'm just talking about the X.

I think the EL-8 is a different enough product that you could price it similarly and not confuse people.  At least based on the looks and the branding.  The only really valid reason (again in my humble opinion) to differentiate with price is if the sound is very similar to the LCD-2.  But then you're probably looking at the price going UP not down.

No, I suspect it's going to look better, be more comfortable and more portable but at the expense of SQ.  This will let them price it at $1k or less.  If the SQ is on par with the other cans, it'll have to be priced higher.

I had the LCD-2 for a year and have had plenty of time with the LCD-2f--the LCD-X is a nice step up. The LCD3f and LCD-X are similar in quality, but differently voiced. I've head both on many systems. So I don't see any confusion there. Unless the LCD-2f will be discontinued soon, I can''t see the EL-8 close to $1K.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #204 of 6,486
What if these are like the Beyer T-5p -- similar sound quality to the T1, but lower impedance, lighter, more portable, etc? That could put them in a similar price range to the current LCD-2, X, 3...just sayin'. 

Real question: would you want sound every bit as good as the current line at similar pricing but different form factor/signature -- or clearly lesser sound but priced below $1000? 

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #205 of 6,486
  What if these are like the Beyer T-5p -- similar sound quality to the T1, but lower impedance, lighter, more portable, etc? That could put them in a similar price range to the current LCD-2, X, 3...just sayin'. 

That's exactly what I wrote earlier in the thread. Makes sense to me.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #206 of 6,486
  Pushing page 12 in less than 19 hours; this has to be some kind of head-fi record yes?

Wait until the Sennheiser HD850 is announced....the server will crash to earth within 20 seconds.

For another view, here's a photo of the Audeze EL-8 Open Back being fed by the Chord Hugo (and iPhone 6 Plus).

Very nice looking headphone, that. I'm calling a winner right here and now.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #207 of 6,486
  Jesus....

10 pages in 16 hours....like dangling raw meat in front of a pack of wild dogs.

LOL, great quote!

Always exciting when Audeze announces a new headphone...from the LCD-2, to the LCD-3, then the LCD-X and XC and now this.

Congrats Alex and Sankar...really looking forward to this release!

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #208 of 6,486
  Hoping this is high sensitivity and relatively easy to drive and $800 at max (ideally around $700). I want to use it with my AK240 if the sound suits me :) best looking audeze imo

Ideally I would want it to sound better than the Orpheus and cost 0-$10... 
dt880smile.png

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #209 of 6,486
Anything to read into the fact that what appears to be the stock cable is terminated in a 1/8" (3.5mm) connector? The port of the Chord Hugo it's plugged into is one of the two 1/8" ports - the far left one is the 1/4".  

If so that would definitely point towards the portability aspect...

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back