Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 5, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #106 of 6,486
1st pic is a closed back, 2nd pic open backed?

I wouldn't get too excited about these pics. They could well be pre-production renderings. Same goes for people complaining about the wood. Wait until we see the production model :)

As for the new form - like!

It's already Jan 6 in Australia. Can't an Australian dealer spill the beans already? :p

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #108 of 6,486
Is this a Spanish model, the El-8? Or is this an electrostatic headphone?

While those are both good theories, I'm guessing it's more likely going to be a "consumer-oriented" headphone (as opposed to audiophile-oriented), and thus it's a play on the word "elate".

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #110 of 6,486
Jan 5, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #111 of 6,486
   and thus it's a play on the word "elate".

Considering what it does to your ears, maybe 'FEL-8' would be more appropriate 

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #112 of 6,486

While those are both good theories, I'm guessing it's more likely going to be a "consumer-oriented" headphone (as opposed to audiophile-oriented), and thus it's a play on the word "elate".

I agree. The formfactor and design makes me think that this is gonna be a (semi)portable directly competing against the Oppo line.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #113 of 6,486

Considering what it does to your ears, maybe 'fellate' would be more appropriate 

You must have some really weird-looking ears...

Also, we don't know how it sounds yet.  Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.  Audeze makes some great cans, but Sennheiser does too and they still managed to put out the HD700 for $1000.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #115 of 6,486
I'm betting it's electrostatic. Check out the non-standard (for Audeze) connector on the bottom of the earcup.

It wouldn't really make a lot of sense for Audeze's foray into consumer-oriented design to be accompanied by a driver technology that is almost completely foreign to the concept of portability. While I would love to see what the company would create from 'stat tech, I doubt it would come in a package this intentionally portable.

I guess we'll all find out tomorrow.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #116 of 6,486
I'm betting it's electrostatic. Check out the non-standard (for Audeze) connector on the bottom of the earcup.

Thought crossed my mind when I first saw the teaser ad with the 'EL' nomenclature, however, Jude confirmed in the OP that:

Audeze will be introducing some compelling patent pending technologies in the EL-8, including a very innovative magnetic circuit, and new diaphragm technology (again, with more details about both to follow)

So it's not electrostatic. No magnets there.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #118 of 6,486
Oh well...

Owning the Meridian Prime and PSU setup, a lovely B&W P7 and soon a Transrotor Turntable package connected to the Prime ... plus I really like the LCD-X (and 3F) and someday I would own one.

Now this one.

I hope this LE-8 will probably have a lot in common with the LCD-X, but as far as the price is concerning I think quite a few are in for a surprise. My guess would be 1399.- or 1499.- USD. It's Audeze.

B

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #119 of 6,486
  Oh well...

Owning the Meridian Prime and PSU setup, a lovely B&W P7 and soon a Transrotor Turntable package connected to the Prime ... plus I really like the LCD-X (and 3F) and someday I would own one.

Now this one.

I hope this LE-8 will probably have a lot in common with the LCD-X, but as far as the price is concerning I think quite a few are in for a surprise. My guess would be 1399.- or 1499.- USD. It's Audeze.

B

Gotta agree with you, the pricing speculation in this thread is highly amusing to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back