Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 8, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #5,776 of 6,486

When did they start doing this factory burn-in?  Got mine about a month after they were first released.

That's from a 2011 release concerning the first revision of the LCD-2. So they've been doing burn-in on their headphones for almost five years now. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #5,777 of 6,486

That's from a 2011 release concerning the first revision of the LCD-2. So they've been doing burn-in on their headphones for almost five years now. 

Do they state that it also applies to the EL8?  My LCD-2 showed no changes from day one so I would say that either they are not prone to burn-in or the break-in process done at the factory does make for a more consistent product.

If you search this thread back in Apr-Jun last year I think, there were a few others who noted that the sound of the EL8 changed over time, not just me.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #5,778 of 6,486
  Do they state that it also applies to the EL8?  My LCD-2 showed no changes from day one so I would say that either they are not prone to burn-in or the break-in process done at the factory does make for a more consistent product.

If you search this thread back in Apr-Jun last year I think, there were a few others who noted that the sound of the EL8 changed over time, not just me.

It says "all of our headphones". It would be rather silly to think they meant specifically just one model in their lineup. 

You'll find people who say everything needs burn-in. You'll find people saying their CABLES burn in. I'm surprised people haven't claimed FLAC files burn in at this point. The only true test is comparing an older model to one fresh out of the box. Otherwise it's not that the headphones burned in, it's that you acclimated to the sound.

EDIT: To put it in anecdotal terms since that's what we do here, I've had these for, what, almost a month now, listening to probably 5-6 hours a day, so we're talking 150+ hours, and I've heard no alteration in sound. Just pure awesomeness.  

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #5,779 of 6,486
I think I switch gear to often to get acclimated to anything, I'm always using different headphones, just in the last few hours I've used my EL8, DT-990, K7XX, HE-560 and one of my SennGrado builds.  My experience with the sound changing over time is from using them every once in a while and noticing that they sounded different compared to the same headphones the last time I listened to both.
FWIW I don't believe in burn-in so the EL8 was really an out there experience, I've never noticed any of my other headphones change/evolve over time, could I have a defective pair? maybe, but I have not noticed any changes since 200+ hours.  I've also listened to my friends EL8 and it sounded a little different, slightly brighter than mine, both were driven by my Fiio X3 but then audio memory is really bad so who knows.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #5,780 of 6,486
  I think I switch gear to often to get acclimated to anything, I'm always using different headphones, just in the last few hours I've used my EL8, DT-990, K7XX, HE-560 and one of my SennGrado builds.  My experience with the sound changing over time is from using them every once in a while and noticing that they sounded different compared to the same headphones the last time I listened to both.
FWIW I don't believe in burn-in so the EL8 was really an out there experience, I've never noticed any of my other headphones change/evolve over time, could I have a defective pair? maybe, but I have not noticed any changes since 200+ hours.  I've also listened to my friends EL8 and it sounded a little different, slightly brighter than mine, both were driven by my Fiio X3 but then audio memory is really bad so who knows.

This part is what really makes me raise an eyebrow. If they changed for the first 200 hours, they'd keep changing. It's not like there's a default position the headphones need to be "seated" in that takes 200 hours to get there. Again, I can't claim to know what happened, maybe you did have an odd pair that altered somehow and stopped after a while but again the only test I can think that makes sense would be to buy two pairs, give it 200 hours of sound, and then compare it with the unused pair. I read that Shure did this with some model of theirs that was 15 years old and it tested the exact same used as one fresh out of the box. And admittedly with Audeze headphones it seems like no two pairs are quite the same. I know at least with the LCD's you'd see some variation that, while not major, was more than insignificant.

I'm also HEAVILY skeptical of "audio memory". I do not even slightly think anyone is good enough to remember what a headphone sounded like to any appreciable degree. We might remember our impressions of them, but not what they actually sounded like. There is no way that you can know, after listening to a headphone for 200 hours, minute differences over that course of time, and that's extra true if you've been mixing them in with several others. That's just too tiny a change, if it existed in the first place, gradually spread across far too long a time range with way too many external factors mixed in.

I'm not gonna keep fighting this one because I'm just a guy sitting over here, there is no way for me to claim authority concerning what happened with your headphones to your ears, and getting into it on this one just opens up the burn-in voodoo argument and the last thing we need is that can o' worms. :p

Long as you like them today, all is well, IMO. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #5,781 of 6,486
A lot of it is psychological, you get more used to a certain sound or are fooled by placebo.  There's no way that burn in will remove a 30db notch, even if it is a real thing.  Personally I don't really believe in it, nor do I believe in the "better cables", especially after recently replacing my H6 cable with the "better" V-Moda one and doing A/Bs for hours not to hear a single difference.

However, there clearly can be differences between each build of the EL-8, they are built by hand after all and are prone to some variation, as anything is.

I would love someone who owns the LCD-X and EL-8 to give a detailed comparison between them.  I think that would be of great interest to most of us, so we get a real idea how close the EL-8 gets.  In the original head-fi YouTube video, the fella said that "if it is more resolving than the LCD-X, it ain't by much".  Was a follow up review posted by head-fi itself?

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #5,782 of 6,486
If I could find somewhere in the San Antonio area to hear a pair of X's I'd absolutely do a head to head. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #5,783 of 6,486
Oh, also, if you're into the Audeze sound, the Audeze Deckard isn't a bad amp at all...................

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #5,784 of 6,486
  Oh, also, if you're into the Audeze sound, the Audeze Deckard isn't a bad amp at all...................

How is the Deckard?
I have yet to read a good reference relative to other amplifiers or AMP/DAC in its price range.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #5,785 of 6,486
Just wanted to mention that the Mojo & open EL-8 combo are absolutely blowing my mind.  This is one killer combo which I highly recommend everyone try out.

The EL-8s have truly made me stop using my studio monitors and Bang & Olufsen H6s.  It's so hard to go back to anything else after listening to these.

They are truly, so well balanced, so precise, have gorgeous and accurate imaging and one of the best treble responses I have heard of any headphone or speaker ever.  I can't imagine being without these now and am seriously happy I went with my gut and bought them over the LCD series.  With the Mojo and EL-8, I will soon (after getting the EL-8 case) have a truly portable high-end audio setup that I can take anywhere with my MacBook Pro and enjoy.

I have had no luck getting the Mojo going with my HTC One Google Play Edition just yet, but have just ordered another OTG cable to try.  Otherwise, I might just get an iPhone 6S Plus and be done with it.  As much as I love stock Android 6.0, iOS "just works" and should work perfectly with the Mojo.  I might reach out to Chord Electronics about Android support if I have no luck next week when they return from CES though, maybe they can help me out :)

P.S.: I'm using Spotify Premium, but just paid for one month of TIDAL too.  Honestly, the difference from 320 OGG to FLAC just isn't noticeable, even with this rig.  I fail the high fidelity TIDAL test most times, and Spotify's interface simply is better.  I will give it a run for the month though and see what I think.

P.P.S: By portable, I mean a system I can take over to my folks place or my brother's place if I'm going there for a few hours.  Carrying the LCD headphones in their case alone would be too much of an ordeal.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #5,786 of 6,486
  Just wanted to mention that the Mojo & open EL-8 combo are absolutely blowing my mind.  This is one killer combo which I highly recommend everyone try out.

I have had no luck getting the Mojo going with my HTC One Google Play Edition just yet, but have just ordered another OTG cable to try.  Otherwise, I might just get an iPhone 6S Plus and be done with it.  As much as I love stock Android 6.0, iOS "just works" and should work perfectly with the Mojo.  I might reach out to Chord Electronics about Android support if I have no luck next week when they return from CES though, maybe they can help me out :)

P.S.: I'm using Spotify Premium, but just paid for one month of TIDAL too.  Honestly, the difference from 320 OGG to FLAC just isn't noticeable, even with this rig.  I fail the high fidelity TIDAL test most times, and Spotify's interface simply is better.  I will give it a run for the month though and see what I think.

Mojo and EL-8 are my portable setup. I like it too.

Are you using Spotify (sorry don't have it) and TIDAL from your phone to the Mojo? I can try out TIDAL. There's another application I use, USB Audio Player. I also know a person at a recent meet had success with Amazon music playback - no issues connected to my Mojo through his headphones.

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #5,787 of 6,486
  Mojo and EL-8 are my portable setup. I like it too.

Are you using Spotify (sorry don't have it) and TIDAL from your phone to the Mojo? I can try out TIDAL. There's another application I use, USB Audio Player. I also know a person at a recent meet had success with Amazon music playback - no issues connected to my Mojo through his headphones.

Yeah, I'm using Spotify on my phone actually.  I think the phone isn't detecting the unit at all though, I've tried a few USB debugging apps and none find it.  I was going to try USB Audio Player but it's pretty pricey considering I just need it for testing to be honest.  It was actually cheaper to buy a new OTG cable, hehe.

What sort of Android phone have you had success with?  I hope that my case is just a case of a faulty cable because I'm running Android 6.0 which should support audio over USB globally.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #5,788 of 6,486

Yeah, I'm using Spotify on my phone actually.  I think the phone isn't detecting the unit at all though, I've tried a few USB debugging apps and none find it.  I was going to try USB Audio Player but it's pretty pricey considering I just need it for testing to be honest.  It was actually cheaper to buy a new OTG cable, hehe.

What sort of Android phone have you had success with?  I hope that my case is just a case of a faulty cable because I'm running Android 6.0 which should support audio over USB globally.

I'm pretty much a pure Android user - did not load onto my Nexus 5, but using my Nexus 7 (tablet) is working just fine.
I bought a straight cable (was using 2 cables, a OTG to standard USB and the standard USB back to mini USB), so I'll need to try my new single cable too. Agree, it was cheap! Best of luck with the new cable.

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #5,789 of 6,486
For the guys using EL-8 as a portable.........how are you keeping the 3.5" end from shorting out? I've had 3 cables fail on me so far-it seems very flimsy. Have you just been connecting as normal, or do you have some kind of stabilizing rubber band or something attaching it to the Mojo?

Jan 9, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5,790 of 6,486
  I'm pretty much a pure Android user - did not load onto my Nexus 5, but using my Nexus 7 (tablet) is working just fine.
I bought a straight cable (was using 2 cables, a OTG to standard USB and the standard USB back to mini USB), so I'll need to try my new single cable too. Agree, it was cheap! Best of luck with the new cable.

Thanks a lot, will let you know how it goes :)

Pure Android is the best way to experience Android, it's such a shame most people are stuck with Samsung Touchwiz and HTC Sense ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back