Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Aug 16, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #5,491 of 6,486
I absolutely need a set of closed headphones (or at the very least, open headphones that bleed out VERY little sound, I don't care if sound gets in). So far from what I've read these EL-8 beat the PM-3 (but the PM-3 is obviously a better value). Under $1k I'm still not sure if there's any truly better headphones (especially if we're talking Planar). Someone feel free to correct me otherwise. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #5,492 of 6,486
  I absolutely need a set of closed headphones (or at the very least, open headphones that bleed out VERY little sound, I don't care if sound gets in). So far from what I've read these EL-8 beat the PM-3 (but the PM-3 is obviously a better value). Under $1k I'm still not sure if there's any truly better headphones (especially if we're talking Planar). Someone feel free to correct me otherwise. 
beerchug.gif

Well, most tend to have better treble.

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #5,493 of 6,486
Out of curiosity, is there anyone who enjoys the EL 8's MORE than the LCD2s? Or at least, do you enjoy them equally?

For people who enjoy an overall  brighter sound, the EL-8 can be preferable to the darkness offered by the LCD-2.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #5,494 of 6,486
Hi!

I have the HE-560, LCD2.2f and I was looking for a closed back planar. I tried the EL8 for a few days.I really liked it's appearance but for me the PM-3 did everything a bit better, so I eventually settled for them. However, both didn't blow me away at all at first. But they really grew on me and Iwhen I compare them now to any other headphone that I review or have in my collection I realize how good the PM-3 actually is (and the EL-8 would probably be too if I had given it more time....

It might be that I would be equally (or more) happy with the EL8 had I decided to take that. The PM-3 are really really well done and I like their overall balance and neutrality but impact when needed.

Cheers,
K

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #5,495 of 6,486
Hi AM

I've auditioned both EL8 and Oppo's and then settled on the Fostex TH600. Bear in mind my other headphones are Grados which have a very open sound, literally and musically. I also heard the Final Audio IV which was very nice but in the end I found the Fostex give a lovely soundstage and separation and overall pleasing musical sound compared to the others so settled on them.

I found the EL8's very bright and brash and the Oppo just didn't do it for me in terms of overall presentation and soundstage and separation.

Ive gotten the mod bug to some extent and have fitted wood cups as you can see in my profile pic, can't comment on any sound improvement yet as only fitted them a couple of days ago. It's a shame the cables are not officially removable but I guess they can be changed if really into modding.

The one and only reason I started looking for closed HP was because of leakage when with family. Having auditioned the others and purchased the Fostex pair I proudly put them on at home and pumped up the volume only to be told by my kids that they could hear the music. So pretty much all closed HP I've listened to leak some sound, so it really a matter of degree.

If you really want absolute zero leakage I guess you could go IE!!

Hope this helps some.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #5,496 of 6,486
Hi AM

I've auditioned both EL8 and Oppo's and then settled on the Fostex TH600. Bear in mind my other headphones are Grados which have a very open sound, literally and musically. I also heard the Final Audio IV which was very nice but in the end I found the Fostex give a lovely soundstage and separation and overall pleasing musical sound compared to the others so settled on them.

I found the EL8's very bright and brash and the Oppo just didn't do it for me in terms of overall presentation and soundstage and separation.

Ive gotten the mod bug to some extent and have fitted wood cups as you can see in my profile pic, can't comment on any sound improvement yet as only fitted them a couple of days ago. It's a shame the cables are not officially removable but I guess they can be changed if really into modding.

The one and only reason I started looking for closed HP was because of leakage when with family. Having auditioned the others and purchased the Fostex pair I proudly put them on at home and pumped up the volume only to be told by my kids that they could hear the music. So pretty much all closed HP I've listened to leak some sound, so it really a matter of degree.

If you really want absolute zero leakage I guess you could go IE!!

Hope this helps some.

The EL-8 doesn't leak at all. I'm in a dead silent office and no one hears my music. Not too fond of the sound they output though.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #5,498 of 6,486

The EL-8's are very inconsistent in their sound signature, if you read back a few months when they were first available there were many different impressions.

As for making the cables removable on the TH-600 it is fairly simple.  I used SMC connectors (Hifiman type) on the TH-600 so that I could use the cables from my HE-400/400i/560.  Also used the SMC connectors on my SennGrados and RS2e and SR225e.

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #5,500 of 6,486
Talking about trips. I just had a quick trip to my local shop and just noticed a minor crack on the headband that holds the driver. Hope this doesn't get worse because I paid $1200+ nz dollars including shipping and customs!! I like the sound it squeezes out tiny details and don't need it to be too loud just to hear it. Making this loud just makes it sound bad.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #5,501 of 6,486
Wait, that part is plastic? One of the reasons I went with the EL-8 was I thought it was all-metal (my huge head cracks plastic headbands like no other, I wear the EL-8 on the largest setting just barely)?

Here's to hoping that doesn't happen to me soon. 
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #5,502 of 6,486
So many problems with these headphones. Really hope I get a refund on these when I get them back from Audeze. Service is great but I have read more negatives than positives for these headphones.

To recap. This situation has left me extremely frustrated. First, the right cup went dead so i returned the HP to the store where I got them from. They then forwarded it to the local distributor who then forwarded them to Audeze in the US. I contacted Audeze US and communication was excellent. While the headphones were in their possession I requested for a refund based on the 30 day risk free trial. They told me that was an offer exclusive for direct sales only. Meaning you have to buy it directly from their website. I think they could have accommodated my request of a refund since they already had my headphones in their possession. They also mentioned to ask the local distributor for the refund and the other day the local distributor called me for the update on my headphones. I told them about Audeze US telling me to ask them for the refund and they declined stating that the refund should come from the store where I purchased the headphones from. I contacted the store on 3 different occasions via their facebook with no reply. I really hope I didnt just throw 700 bucks down the drain. Ill be contacting the store and asking for the refund when they get the headphones back from the local distributor. I purchased the headphones over a month ago and its been gone for about a month now.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #5,503 of 6,486
  So many problems with these headphones. Really hope I get a refund on these when I get them back from Audeze. Service is great but I have read more negatives than positives for these headphones.

To recap. This situation has left me extremely frustrated. First, the right cup went dead so i returned the HP to the store where I got them from. They then forwarded it to the local distributor who then forwarded them to Audeze in the US. I contacted Audeze US and communication was excellent. While the headphones were in their possession I requested for a refund based on the 30 day risk free trial. They told me that was an offer exclusive for direct sales only. Meaning you have to buy it directly from their website. I think they could have accommodated my request of a refund since they already had my headphones in their possession. They also mentioned to ask the local distributor for the refund and the other day the local distributor called me for the update on my headphones. I told them about Audeze US telling me to ask them for the refund and they declined stating that the refund should come from the store where I purchased the headphones from. I contacted the store on 3 different occasions via their facebook with no reply. I really hope I didnt just throw 700 bucks down the drain. Ill be contacting the store and asking for the refund when they get the headphones back from the local distributor. I purchased the headphones over a month ago and its been gone for about a month now.

That sounds incredibly disappointing and frustrating after spending so much money on these headphones. Sorry to hear that

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #5,504 of 6,486

That sounds incredibly disappointing and frustrating after spending so much money on these headphones. Sorry to hear that

Thanks elwappo99. This is the most I have ever put down for a set of headphones and I never expected it to cause so much grief.

Update: The replacement El8's arrived and my request for a refund has been declined to my bitter disappointment. Both the store with the advice of the local distributor mentioned that if the second pair has any faults then they would consider a refund. I cant blame the store I feel the local distributor along with Audeze USA should foot the bill in this case and get me my money back. The store sensing my disappointment offered to exchange the item for anything in their inventory. My choices now are the HD700 or the HE500. Not wanting to drag this awful situation any further I reluctantly agreed. I currently have an HD600 and K7xx so which one should I get to replace the EL8s? Hd700 or HE500? Hoping for your advice.

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #5,505 of 6,486

Thanks elwappo99. This is the most I have ever put down for a set of headphones and I never expected it to cause so much grief.

Update: The replacement El8's arrived and my request for a refund has been declined to my bitter disappointment. Both the store with the advice of the local distributor mentioned that if the second pair has any faults then they would consider a refund. I cant blame the store I feel the local distributor along with Audeze USA should foot the bill in this case and get me my money back. The store sensing my disappointment offered to exchange the item for anything in their inventory. My choices now are the HD700 or the HE500. Not wanting to drag this awful situation any further I reluctantly agreed. I currently have an HD600 and K7xx so which one should I get to replace the EL8s? Hd700 or HE500? Hoping for your advice.

To be fair it's not Audeze's fault that your retailer/reseller won't refund your money (are you outside the return/refund window or do they just not have a good return policy?). I get that you're unhappy with the purchase but it's the retailer not the manufacturer that handles refunds (unless the product is under manufacturer warranty and the warranty offers refunds).

As for what to get, it depends on what you bought the EL-8 for. I bought them because they were the best closed headphones under $1000 that I could find. The only real competition I know of is the less expensive Oppo PM-3 and the more expensive ZMF Omni, although the Omni isn't actually closed (I'm using the EL-8 in a library-like quiet area on a daily basis, so I can't have sound leaking).

If you have the open EL-8 there are a lot of options. There's the Omni I just mentioned as well as snagging a pair of LCD-2 for around the same price (if you can get a good deal). If you're set on just the HD700 vs HE500 I can't help there. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back