Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 5, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #4,351 of 6,486
The EL-8 is not a replacement for any LCD, as Audeze, Mike Mercer and other reviewers have stated. The EL-8 is designed to compete with cans in its price point range. It is relatively more neutral than LCDs, and reviews by owners and those who have auditioned are mixed. Personally, I found mine to be OK but not good enough to keep.

If you're interested in exploring this HP, get your hands on a set and audition them with your own system and music. That's the best way to know whether they're worth the price for your needs.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4,352 of 6,486
The EL-8 is not a replacement for any LCD, as Audeze, Mike Mercer and other reviewers have stated. The EL-8 is designed to compete with cans in its price point range. It is relatively more neutral than LCDs, and reviews by owners and those who have auditioned are mixed. Personally, I found mine to be OK but not good enough to keep.

If you're interested in exploring this HP, get your hands on a set and audition them with your own system and music. That's the best way to know whether they're worth the price for your needs.

Would you mind sharing with me your opinion regarding better sounding closed headphones at this price range? :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,356 of 6,486

Would you mind sharing with me your opinion regarding better sounding closed headphones at this price range? :)

Sorry, I'm an open-back guy. :wink: However, others have more than favorably mentioned the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime when discussing alternatives to the EL-8 closed back.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,357 of 6,486

Sorry, I'm an open-back guy. :wink: However, others have more than favorably mentioned the Mr. Speakers Alpha Prime when discussing alternatives to the EL-8 closed back.

The problem is that they're hard to get in my country and customs would bring them up a lot in price. There's also no way for me to try them out before taking the plunge, also, they don't look as nice as the EL-8, haha, I'm going to be using them at my new office so it doesn't hurt that the EL-8's look as good as they do.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #4,360 of 6,486

The problem is that they're hard to get in my country and customs would bring them up a lot in price. There's also no way for me to try them out before taking the plunge, also, they don't look as nice as the EL-8, haha, I'm going to be using them at my new office so it doesn't hurt that the EL-8's look as good as they do.

I understand. No doubt many people buy headphones based on reviews and forums like head-fi. There is good information out there. Just be aware that you will have to take the plunge and pay full price to try the EL-8, and reviews are very mixed. It will be a gamble for you to hear them, and they could be perfect for you. Or not. 
basshead.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,361 of 6,486

I understand. No doubt many people buy headphones based on reviews and forums like head-fi. There is good information out there. Just be aware that you will have to take the plunge and pay full price to try the EL-8, and reviews are very mixed. It will be a gamble for you to hear them, and they could be perfect for you. Or not. 
basshead.gif

I have already heard them. :) We have a couple of great stores here in which you can demo headphones.
I tried the El-8 and the Oppo PM-3's the other day and posted impressions here. Just the Alpha Dogs that are really hard to come by.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,362 of 6,486
  Focal Spirits are uncomfortable for me, I'm going to be wearing them all day.

I have already heard them. :) We have a couple of great stores here in which you can demo headphones.
I tried the El-8 and the Oppo PM-3's the other day and posted impressions here. Just the Alpha Dogs that are really hard to come by.

I see. Must have forgotten about your old posts. So you heard the Focal Spirit Professional as well? You said "Focal Spirits" so I'm not sure if you heard a different model with smaller ear pads or something. You may have even told me the that the FSP is better than the EL-8 in your opinion, but my memory is fuzzy.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,363 of 6,486

I see. Must have forgotten about your old posts. So you heard the Focal Spirit Professional as well? You said "Focal Spirits" so I'm not sure if you heard a different model with smaller ear pads or something. You may have even told me the that the FSP is better than the EL-8 in your opinion, but my memory is fuzzy.

I think they are fine, but my experience with them is very limited.
They become a bit fatiguing over time and the earcups are too small, I tried the classics about a year ago.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,364 of 6,486

basshead.gif

Well, it appears that you're best off choosing from phones you can actually audition in your country. The EL-8 and Oppo PM-3 have certainly been compared to death, so far, so you have a plethora of impressions and reviews to help guide you. Let your ears (and, I guess, your eyes) show you the way to daphen Nirvana. 
L3000.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,365 of 6,486

Well, it appears that you're best off choosing from phones you can actually audition in your country. The EL-8 and Oppo PM-3 have certainly been compared to death, so far, so you have a plethora of impressions and reviews to help guide you. Let your ears (and, I guess, your eyes) show you the way to daphen Nirvana. 
L3000.gif

I prefered the EL-8 in just about every regard to the PM-3. :) 
Daphen nirvana would be an open headphone, but that's not an option in an office. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back