Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #2,342 of 6,486

Hey Mike, did you get a confirmation from Audeze that the 'longer' cable will come by default with the Open-Back EL-8 ?

OH - SORRY!
Writing them RIGHT NOW...

man I thought I inquired already... I'm ON IT

Thanks a lot Mike 
wink.gif

Please tell them that the 1.2m cable will be useless for the persons (like me) who want to enjoy their Open-Back EL-8 on their desktop setup at home.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #2,343 of 6,486

Same reason headphone manufacturers don't ship their headphones with $600 cables because both are dubious at best and there's no point wasting time and resources on the minority that care about either since they can just burn them in or change the cabling themselves.

While I really personally don't believe in SS electronic's burn in, particularly cables.  You could certainly argue that physical membranes stretch/change shape using use.  I played violin, and the strings would continuously stretch when new, then settle in nicely and requite very little change after that.

I wish someone with the technical measurements could just put this to bed... or help.  Oh well, off topic and not really worth discussing. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #2,344 of 6,486
I wish someone with the technical measurements could just put this to bed... or help.  Oh well, off topic and not really worth discussing. 

Has already happened. tl;dr - it is both measurable and perceivable, yet it doesn't take hundreds of hours nor are the differences as vast and sweeping as many would have you believe.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/testing-audibility-break-effects

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/break-part-deux

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8jxdOEpiCTs[/VIDEO]

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #2,346 of 6,486

That's a difficult thing to quantify - As I still prefer the LCD-X for monitoring in the studio - and with a couple of my portable rigs as well...

When it comes to playing the LCD-2 w/ Fazor or LCD-X on my TOP/FAVE reference desktop amps, like:
My E.A.R HP4
Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
ALO Studio Six

There's just something about the sweetness of the mids through the LCD-2 w/ Fazor that grabs me. The staging is wonderfully rounded/opaque - I mean it's like seeing a movie at a United Artists theater w/ the HUGE screen that extends outward and curves, like a half-circle. Ever been to one of those? It's like you're THERE, in the movie! The LCD-2 w/ Fazor is, for me, just more FUN to listen to music on strictly for recreation - When I'm NOT writing/reviewing/taking notes or anything else that distracts me - the 2s, for lack of a more exacting description - have more soul

It's also like there's more warmth there, but NOT too much - and I'm not saying the LCD-X lacks midrange sparkle - but it seems (to me) that the LCD-2 w/ Fazor just draws me deeper into the music - like a set of Magnepan 3.6s compared to the best Martin Logans - The Logans may do nearly everything better "technically" but the Magnepans paint a more holographic and enveloping sonic image...

Great write up! How would you compare the LCD3Fs vs the LCD2Fs for simple recreational/leisure listening? All the reviews so far seem to draw the conclusion that the LCD3s are technically superior than the LCD2s but not by much.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,348 of 6,486
it will be interesting if we could change the el8's from open to closed back using  different backs fittings

I would never want this option as the tuning would be different for open and closed. One or the other may sound terrible.

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #2,350 of 6,486
  I am still interested to hear how these cans perform when run as balanced.

unfortunately there's no way to do that YET!!
I'd LOVE that as well!!  

I've been eye-ballin' my Cavalli Audio LA and thinkin.....  ooooooh, aaahhhhh, how nice that would bE!!
DROOL...

So,

FELLAZ!

I'll keep posting here OF COURSE  - just wanted to let you know as some of you asked:

My full Early Impressions for EL-8 (open-backs) article will be featured in my Sonic Satori column at EnjoyTheMusic.com this week!
I'll keep you apprised.

AND: I have some new impressions to share here again - just been SLAMMED w/ work and taking care of Alexandra!!!

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,351 of 6,486

Great write up! How would you compare the LCD3Fs vs the LCD2Fs for simple recreational/leisure listening? All the reviews so far seem to draw the conclusion that the LCD3s are technically superior than the LCD2s but not by much.

@mikemercer  Pardon to put you in the spot, but if the Audeze LCD-3 w/ Fazor is 100%, how much is the Audeze LCD-2 w/ Fazor?

Thank you so much, and looking forward to your review of the EL-8s.

@mikemercer  Could you kindly respond to our query? Appreciate it!

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,353 of 6,486
  However, you should be the official promoter from Audeze lol.

biggrin.gif

Thanks! I take that as a compliment - but, and to the other Gent who thought your comment warranted my being labeled a "MOT":

IF I took on being their official promoter I couldn't write about em anymore...
I genuinely share about them because they have, and this is MY experience, changed the way I listen to music!!

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,355 of 6,486

biggrin.gif

Thanks! I take that as a compliment - but, and to the other Gent who thought your comment warranted my being labeled a "MOT":

IF I took on being their official promoter I couldn't write about em anymore...
I genuinely share about them because they have, and this is MY experience, changed the way I listen to music!!

I can say without a doubt that your Headphone.guru review of the LCD 2.2F as product of the year was the tipping point in my long deliberation to purchase them.  And you were spot on!  So, thanks for your candid review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back