Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #452 of 711
I received my replacement EL-8 yesterday and they are great! The only thing is that there seems to be an issue with the seal. On some occasions I'll put them on and the right side sounds quieter than the left, however, if I adjust them a bit then it's like the air pressure evens out and they sound perfect. Does anyone else experience this? I guess the right side of my head is just ~that much different than the left.

Oct 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #453 of 711
I notice the sound becomes muffled if the headphones shifts on one ear or the other. I notice it most if I am laying down with them on. If I stop moving then it evens out, and I don't notice it while sitting or standing.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #454 of 711
Do they isolate sound as well as the HD8 DJ? Can I block out plane noise with them? Would any of its closed benefits be a selling point over the Open version?

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #455 of 711
  I notice the sound becomes muffled if the headphones shifts on one ear or the other. I notice it most if I am laying down with them on. If I stop moving then it evens out, and I don't notice it while sitting or standing.

This has been documented as a problem with the EL-8s....Not sure why they do this, but the titaniums do this too

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #456 of 711
They block noise with or without music playing. As for plane noise, you would have to look at the frequency chart for that. Most headphones don't block noise that low very well, but with music, it would be better.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #458 of 711
Phew..OK!

I just spent the night reading trough the entire thread, as I am looking for a great matching high-end portable headphone for my iPhone 7 that I will use on the bus to and from work. So decent noise isolation is highly regarded. Might the  EL-8 Titanium be up to the task?

I have to admit, I almost gave up on these cans early in the thread...the quality seemed poor and lots of user reporting trouble with both wires and drivers...luckily I continued reading on and the later batches seemed alot more reliable.

If I were to buy these secondhand in mint condition, receipt and everything in order ....and if something goes wrong with the headset...will I have any problem with Audeze support? I might get the chance to buy a secondhand set, and the owner bought these in the spring 2016 trough the Norwegian Apple website(best regards from Norway by the way^^ ). I have requested the manufacture dato on the cans from the seller, and awaiting his response.

Any alternative headsets i should look into that might suit my needs for great portable sound and noise isolation with an iPhone 7?

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

EDIT: Anyone compared noise isolation between a P7/P7wireless and EL-8 ?

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #459 of 711
Phew..OK!

I just spent the night reading trough the entire thread, as I am looking for a great matching high-end portable headphone for my iPhone 7 that I will use on the bus to and from work. So decent noise isolation is highly regarded. Might the  EL-8 Titanium be up to the task?

I have to admit, I almost gave up on these cans early in the thread...the quality seemed poor and lots of user reporting trouble with both wires and drivers...luckily I continued reading on and the later batches seemed alot more reliable.

If I were to buy these secondhand in mint condition, receipt and everything in order ....and if something goes wrong with the headset...will I have any problem with Audeze support? I might get the chance to buy a secondhand set, and the owner bought these in the spring 2016 trough the Norwegian Apple website(best regards from Norway by the way^^ ). I have requested the manufacture dato on the cans from the seller, and awaiting his response.

Any alternative headsets i should look into that might suit my needs for great portable sound and noise isolation with an iPhone 7?

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

EDIT: Anyone compared noise isolation between a P7/P7wireless and EL-8 ?

I purchased mine second hand, no receipt and Audeze took great care of me.

As for on the bus.. If you don't have a proper amp, the rumble of the engine completely ruins the bass response (it does for me).

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #460 of 711
I tried the EL-* Closed Titanium in January.  I really liked the sound.  Is there a difference betweent the standard closed and titanium sound wise?  I tried them straight out of my single end Fiio X5 using the standard cable not the cypher one.  Has the quality control improved  enough for somebody that this is a ton of money to?  Or would you suggest looking elsewhere?  I am also looking at the Audioquest Nightowl and the Oppo PM-3.  I am also considering the Bowers and Wilkins P9.  Could somebody give me a brief rundown of the differences in sound?  Would these hold up well to travel?  Any suggestions?

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #461 of 711
I purchased mine second hand, no receipt and Audeze took great care of me.

As for on the bus.. If you don't have a proper amp, the rumble of the engine completely ruins the bass response (it does for me).

Thanks!

I spoke with Audeze support today, and there was no problem at all :) I can get these for a pretty great price too! I mean..400USD off from retail price (965USD MSRP in Norway) for a set that has been used a couple of times indoors, then sitting in the case since.

Are you using the Cipher cable with your iPhone? I though the included DAC in this cable should do the trick on these cans?

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #462 of 711
Are you using the Cipher cable with your iPhone? I though the included DAC in this cable should do the trick on these cans?

Oops.. Should have said I have the standard version, not titanium. I do not have the cypher cable or an iPhone either!

I use my XDuoo X3 with the topping NX1A for mobile and it works okay. Could use more power.

Dec 26, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #464 of 711
I jumped the Audeze wagon! It was an offer I possible could not resist 
atsmile.gif
 Hope it will arrive before the weekend and New Year`s Eve kicks in.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #465 of 711
Does anyone here own both an LCD-3F and a 2016 EL-8c ?
Is it safe to say that the closed EL-8 maintain the Audeze "house sound"? I have the LCD-3F at home and I'm considering the EL-8 for work. It would be great if I can get something with a similar sound.
I know that it can't and it won't be the same, but what I'm looking for is the full-bodied, non-fatiguing, detailed and fast sound with the incredible Audeze bass. Something you can crank the volume on without worrying about piercing highs.
Will the closed EL-8 be right for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back