Audeze almost black-friday sale
Nov 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 26
    I​ have owned the LCD X;s since April,  and I have to tell you, I bought them sight unseen and have not regretted it an instant.  Its my first hi end headphone, but at age 62, I'm and old high end speaker guy who has owned Rogers LS3/5a's, the original Martin Logan CLS's,  and Aerial Acoustic 10ts.  Over the past 35+ years one of those systems has held pride of place in my living room along with enough high end gear to equal the retail value of a new German sports sedan. 

I an currently driving my X's with the original GO1000 and they sound every bit as good as any of my living room high end systems.  In all fairness, I have not heard the other LCD models, or either the Senn 600 or Sen 800's, but to tell you the truth, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  I did not want a phone that I would have to spend  half a lifetime trying to find the perfect matching amp for, I don't want to polish  wood either.  The X's seemed like a high quality, low maintenance luxury product, which was exactly what I wanted and got.

My advice is take advantage of the 7 day return.  If the b stock item has  very minor imperfections you can live with, and you like the sound of the phones, you will have gotten yourself a bargain.  If they look  like Schiit, or you don't like their signature, just return for a refund.

I definitely agree  with phoenix a good high end headphone can more than hold their own against any high end speaker  design. In fact  with regard to low level information there is no way that any loudspeaker can reproduce as well as a good headphone in that area . After all the driver is right next to your ear with no room effects to blur the details.
   It amazes me  how that high end dealers have looked down and snubbed there noses at esoteric headphone designs. But even they are having to embrace the headphone community . I have to say that while I could never have afforded those speakers I have been able to stretch for a high end phone (lcd-2 v2) . For that I am grateful .
   I

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 26
  I've been tabbing between the LCD-2 B-Stock page and LCD-X B-Stock page for an hour trying to decide if the LCD-X is worth the extra $563 (discounted difference).  I'm sure 100's of head-fi.org pages have been burned on this topic, but in this thread's readers' opinion, is the LCD-X a worthwhile upgrade from the LCD-2?

Background: Stepping up from HD 650s using a Grace m920 DAC/amp.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.  The LCD-X looks sweet, but I decided to (mostly) stay within budget and pick up an LCD-2.  I'm attending a Head-Fi meet next week:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781210/nashua-new-hampshire-meet-decemeber-5th-2015

where some LCD-X's will be present so I'll be able to realize what I'm missing soon enough.

- Dave

Nov 30, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #19 of 26
Curious has Audeze done this before? On the fence, but if there is a strong chance this will roll around next year I will likely hold off.

Also curious, coming from HE-400 w/Burson Conductor how big of a sound diff is there compared to the LCD-2?

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #20 of 26
  Curious has Audeze done this before? On the fence, but if there is a strong chance this will roll around next year I will likely hold off.

Also curious, coming from HE-400 w/Burson Conductor how big of a sound diff is there compared to the LCD-2?

Thanks!

I had the chance to test the LCD-2 for around 50 minutes at a store (I own modded HE-400), and the LCD-2 were better in every regard except soundstage.
It was a clear step up, however not a massive one. (My source might have been a weak link thou, so take my opinion with a grain of salt).

What I am trying to say is that eventually I did not buy the LCD-2 because the price difference was too great for the improvement, but if I cant find anything better (I liked LCD-2 more than 3 and X) I will probably get them as end game (I still have other hps to test first thou).

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #21 of 26
Having a weird experience where I bought LCD-3 B-stock headphones (receipt and order indicates the order process is complete), but they were out of B-stock and didn't bother to inform me. I'm not sure I would have found out had I not called.

To Audeze's credit they did say that they may have more LCD-3 B-stock over the next 10 days, and if they don't they might provide A stock for the B stock price. Still a weird situation as I'm not a huge fan of knowing whether or not I bought a Christmas present.

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #22 of 26
^ look at the bright side, you might end up with a good A stock ^^  and around this time a of "out of stock" issues happens, since its the busiest time of the year. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 26
i.e. The Audeze "Almost a Sale" Black Friday Sale.

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #25 of 26

Thanks for everyone's opinions.  The LCD-X looks sweet, but I decided to (mostly) stay within budget and pick up an LCD-2.  I'm attending a Head-Fi meet next week:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/781210/nashua-new-hampshire-meet-decemeber-5th-2015

where some LCD-X's will be present so I'll be able to realize what I'm missing soon enough.

After attending the Head-Fi meetup today, I have to say: my favorite LCDs were the LCD-XCs.  Gorgeous, extended imaging with a nicely balanced low, mid, and high end.  Guess I should've waited 'til after the meetup to pull the LCD trigger.

I still like my LCD-2 Fazor (rosewood) headphones, but if I had it to do again, I'd spend the extra 50% and go with the LCD-XC.

- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back