1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze 4 pin mini XLR to TRS - wiring help

1. q2klepto
    Just need clarification on how to wire up the Audeze 4pin mini female XLR to a TRS connector

Pin 1 - L+
    Pin 2 - L-
    Pin 3 - R+
    Pin 4 - R-

Would i connect
    Left xlr female connector: Pin 1 to the Left Signal wire, and Pin 2 to the Ground
    Right xlr female connector: Pin 3 to Right Signal wire, and Pin 4 to the ground? 

Or would i have to short Pin 1 + Pin 4 and connect them to the Left signal wire, while Pins 2 + 3 are shorted and connected to the ground? (same for the Right side)?

Or am i completely wrong :) Sorry for the confusion

Audeze-lcd2-wiring-scheme.png

2. liquidzoo
    800px-Audeze-lcd2-wiring-scheme.png

From this, it looks like the pins are bridged on the mini-xlr end (1-4 and 2-3) and then soldered from there.  1-4 on the left would go to TRS Tip, 1-4 on the right would go to TRS Ring, and 2-3 on both would go to sleeve.

3. Armaegis
    When making a large XLR4 to TRS adapter, yes you connect pins 2 & 4 to the ground (sleeve).

The diagrams above are basically correct. Don't do the upper right one though; don't bridge 1&3 on a regular XLR3 unless you have to

4. q2klepto

Thanks guys - so basically all pins in the 4pin female connectors need to be wired up? I wonder if i can split the (stranded) signal wire and solder to both pins 1+4, and split the ground wire from 2+3... or will that cause problems?

Or do i need to bridge 1+4 and solder to a point so its like a Y shape. 

5. Armaegis
    Either method will work.

6. q2klepto

Cool I'll split the strands and save me an extra solder point

7. Kamakahah

8. inertianinja
    old thread, but...

I'm building a balanced cable. Two questions:

1. is it correct that for the headphone end of the cable (the mini-XLR), it's wired the same way for balanced or single-ended? (i.e. bridging 1&4 for signal, 2&3 for ground)

2. My amp's balanced headphone jack has a 4-pin XLR, but the diagram for the balanced cable shows a 3-pin XLR. What's the correct wiring for 4-pin XLR termination?

9. liquidzoo
    This should help on the Amp end:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/6165#post_13128355

Yes, the headphone end would be the same, just the other end would change.

inertianinja likes this.
  10. inertianinja

Great, thanks for the help!

11. Mediahound
    I found this thread via a search and am wondering what this cable seller means when he says that he wires up all 4 connectors and it sounds better? Is that something that is true or just marketing?

"Look at the sockets on the cups of your Auzeze Headphones. You will see 4 pins. We actually wire all four pins as Audeze drivers use all 4 pins internally. Most other sellers of Audeze cables wire only two pins, leaving the other two unused. That is why our cables provide a more powerful and better defined audio signature."

from: https://www.etsy.com/listing/582542...-lcd-2-lcd-3-lcd-4-lcd?ref=shop_home_active_8