Audeze 4 pin mini XLR to TRS - wiring help
May 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

q2klepto

Member of the Trade: HiveMind Audio / DESKHERO
Just need clarification on how to wire up the Audeze 4pin mini female XLR to a TRS connector

Pin 1 - L+
Pin 2 - L-
Pin 3 - R+
Pin 4 - R-

Would i connect
Left xlr female connector: Pin 1 to the Left Signal wire, and Pin 2 to the Ground
Right xlr female connector: Pin 3 to Right Signal wire, and Pin 4 to the ground? 

Or would i have to short Pin 1 + Pin 4 and connect them to the Left signal wire, while Pins 2 + 3 are shorted and connected to the ground? (same for the Right side)?

Or am i completely wrong :) Sorry for the confusion

May 7, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 12

From this, it looks like the pins are bridged on the mini-xlr end (1-4 and 2-3) and then soldered from there.  1-4 on the left would go to TRS Tip, 1-4 on the right would go to TRS Ring, and 2-3 on both would go to sleeve.

May 7, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 12
When making a large XLR4 to TRS adapter, yes you connect pins 2 & 4 to the ground (sleeve).

The diagrams above are basically correct. Don't do the upper right one though; don't bridge 1&3 on a regular XLR3 unless you have to

May 7, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 12

From this, it looks like the pins are bridged on the mini-xlr end (1-4 and 2-3) and then soldered from there.  1-4 on the left would go to TRS Tip, 1-4 on the right would go to TRS Ring, and 2-3 on both would go to sleeve.

When making a large XLR4 to TRS adapter, yes you connect pins 2 & 4 to the ground (sleeve).

The diagrams above are basically correct. Don't do the upper right one though; don't bridge 1&3 on a regular XLR3 unless you have to

Thanks guys - so basically all pins in the 4pin female connectors need to be wired up? I wonder if i can split the (stranded) signal wire and solder to both pins 1+4, and split the ground wire from 2+3... or will that cause problems?

Or do i need to bridge 1+4 and solder to a point so its like a Y shape. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 12

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 12
old thread, but...

I'm building a balanced cable. Two questions:

1. is it correct that for the headphone end of the cable (the mini-XLR), it's wired the same way for balanced or single-ended? (i.e. bridging 1&4 for signal, 2&3 for ground)

2. My amp's balanced headphone jack has a 4-pin XLR, but the diagram for the balanced cable shows a 3-pin XLR. What's the correct wiring for 4-pin XLR termination?

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 12
I found this thread via a search and am wondering what this cable seller means when he says that he wires up all 4 connectors and it sounds better? Is that something that is true or just marketing?

"Look at the sockets on the cups of your Auzeze Headphones. You will see 4 pins. We actually wire all four pins as Audeze drivers use all 4 pins internally. Most other sellers of Audeze cables wire only two pins, leaving the other two unused. That is why our cables provide a more powerful and better defined audio signature."

from: https://www.etsy.com/listing/582542...-lcd-2-lcd-3-lcd-4-lcd?ref=shop_home_active_8

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 12
I took a peak at the connectors of a brand new ZMF OFC cable the other day and they had only soldered the + wire to #1 and the - wire to #3. Nothing was bridged or connected to #2 or #4. Cable appears to sound fine. Wondering if bridging would change the sound at all. Doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back