Audeo Perfect Bass PFE 012 vs PFE 122
Feb 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mani ATH 87

500+ Head-Fier

Just curious what peoples opinions are on whether or not the PFE 122 is worth the extra cost over the PFE 012. The 012 is available to me for $99.95, the PFE 122 at 169.95 respectively (Canada).

I'm looking at purchasing some IEM's (first pair that weren't free junk 
rolleyes.gif
) and these are the two I am looking at. Ideally I'd like to not spend the 169.95 as it is a very large difference after taxes vs the the 012 (it's almost double the cost). If the PFE 122 is significantly better then the PFE 012, I'm open to it though. Is the PFE 122 really worth twice as much as the PFE 012?

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 13
They are both the same IEMs really. The 012 comes bare bones with no case or really any accessories. The 122 comes with different filters, case, ear guides. The 012 comes default with the 'bass heavy' green filters and the 122 comes with 3 pairs of the grey and black filters (no green).

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 13
I've never heard the 012 but I had the 112 and I can't see the 012 sounding the same if you use the same filters in both, if that's the case you can get the 012 and some grey and black filter and save like $40 or so.  The PFE 1XX are nice IEM's but I liked the Ety HF5 a little more because I think its more musical and I liked the mids a bit more and the highs while very detailed was quite smooth sounding over all.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I've never heard the 012 but I had the 112 and I can't see the 012 sounding the same if you use the same filters in both, if that's the case you can get the 012 and some grey and black filter and save like $40 or so.  The PFE 1XX are nice IEM's but I liked the Ety HF5 a little more because I think its more musical and I liked the mids a bit more and the highs while very detailed was quite smooth sounding over all.

My choices are limited at the moment so the HF5 isn't an option for me.

And ah yes, I actually meant the 112 originally not the 122, I have no use for the mic 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 13
If you're lazy, the 112, if you're not, 012. I'd say the 112 is better value as it comes with everything you need to get going right away, but you can save some money if you choose accordingly with the 012. Give Travis at Headphonebar a try. He will let you try everything in the store and you can find which filters you enjoy the most.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
If you're lazy, the 112, if you're not, 012. I'd say the 112 is better value as it comes with everything you need to get going right away, but you can save some money if you choose accordingly with the 012. Give Travis at Headphonebar a try. He will let you try everything in the store and you can find which filters you enjoy the most.

What do you mean if I'm lazy? 
confused.gif

And yes, I will be hitting up the ol' headphone bar tomorrow!

Feb 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 13
Well I'm pretty happy with my purchase of the 012's. They sound excellent and are very comfortable. I have nothing to compare them to as I've never owned any quality IEM's. 

On a side note, Travis had extra ear glides and a carrying case laying around, so I got them for free. His customer service is top of the line!

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Haha typical Travis! Glad you like them so far. Which filter did you end up buying?

I just stuck with the pre installed green filter that gives the extra bass bump. From what I've read it's most likely not as nice as the grey filters which I'm definitely considering. They actually sounded a bit muddy to me at first so I was boosting the treble a bit. I let them play over night for a few days slightly above my listening level and they actually sound better to me now, a lot less muddy and I'm no longer using the treble boost. 

Any recommendations for the filters? Most people seem to prefer the grey ones from what I've read.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I just stuck with the pre installed green filter that gives the extra bass bump. From what I've read it's most likely not as nice as the grey filters which I'm definitely considering. They actually sounded a bit muddy to me at first so I was boosting the treble a bit. I let them play over night for a few days slightly above my listening level and they actually sound better to me now, a lot less muddy and I'm no longer using the treble boost. 

Any recommendations for the filters? Most people seem to prefer the grey ones from what I've read.

Grey is most linear. Black is V-shaped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back