Audacity question
Oct 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

venomousbeavers

New Head-Fier
Here's my setup -

Cambridge Audio 640p pre-amp
Audio Technica AT-PL120
On board Realtek sound card

For some reason, it feels like I'm doing something completely stupid here.
When I am ripping vinyl, I have to keep the input volume just barely over 0, maybe 0.1 or else the sound starts to distort. This even happened when I was using the PL120's internal amp.

Any suggestions?

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Hmmm.. are you sure you use line-in ports and not the mic port (this should be possible to select on Realtek control software)?

IMO, you just need some USB/FireWire/PCMCIA CardBus or Express Card audio interface there ...

jiitee

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Is the Cambridge preamp set for moving magnet or moving coil? If it's set to MC, and you're using an MM cart, that could be your problem.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm.. are you sure you use line-in ports and not the mic port (this should be possible to select on Realtek control software)?

IMO, you just need some USB/FireWire/PCMCIA CardBus or Express Card audio interface there ...

jiitee

I'm definitely using the line in port. The Realtek control software actually asks you what is plugged into each port.

If I can't figure this out, I will most likely have to squeeze a new sound card in between my two video cards.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 8
You can do a lot better than your built in sound card for this use under any circumstance. There are several USB sound cards that will work in addition to PCI cards, but as with anything else, which card is best depends on your budget.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Cambridge preamp set for moving magnet or moving coil? If it's set to MC, and you're using an MM cart, that could be your problem.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical jargon about my turntable. I tried to research what kind of cartridge comes with the PL120, but didn't find anything. I will fiddle around with the settings again to see what happens.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Oh, it definitely came with a moving magnet. Set the 640P on MM. If it's currently on MC, that will fix the problem you're seeing. But you'll still definitely be able to improve your results with an external card.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, it definitely came with a moving magnet. Set the 640P on MM. If it's currently on MC, that will fix the problem you're seeing. But you'll still definitely be able to improve your results with an external card.

Groovy.

Time to start shopping for a sound card. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back