ATTN: Waterloo, Kitchener, Guelph Head-fiers (and any other nearby locations) - meet in Fergus
Nov 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #33 of 57
No red flags for me so far.  As long as everything goes ok at work I will be attending.  Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute since you either own or have owned everything I will be bringing.
About the most I can do is offer to document the event with my crappy camera.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #35 of 57
  Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute since you either own or have owned everything I will be bringing.

Think about others as well!!
Sounds like Brian is going to be the ultimate auditioner of our gear.

I'm interested in everything Canadian made so don't forger to put your Resonessence Labs Concero in a pocket.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #36 of 57
90% sure I can go.

I might bring "something weird".

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #39 of 57
I'd like to come, if there's still a spot. What kind of gear will be there already? I could probably bring a couple of things. Cool that there's something in the area! Thanks for hosting!

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #40 of 57
90% sure I can go.

I might bring "something weird".

Chris,

Is it a DIY something weird?

I gave this MOSFET buffer (+/-18V rails) a go this past week, but it's a smidge too smooth without enough bass impact.
Might try power JFETs next.  This setup definitely makes a nice little space heater for the winter with the heatsink getting too hot to touch in around 5 seconds.

-Jeff

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #42 of 57
I'd like to come, if there's still a spot. What kind of gear will be there already? I could probably bring a couple of things. Cool that there's something in the area! Thanks for hosting!

You're welcome to come!

You can read my signature/profile for the gear I have. I'm not sure what others will bring....

Nov 20, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #43 of 57
Chris,

Is it a DIY something weird?

I gave this MOSFET buffer (+/-18V rails) a go this past week, but it's a smidge too smooth without enough bass impact.
Might try power JFETs next.  This setup definitely makes a nice little space heater for the winter with the heatsink getting too hot to touch in around 5 seconds.

-Jeff

Err....no! It's nothing that ambitious! :p
I'd like to see the schematic of your buffer.
Looks like an ultra filtered power supply!
Looks like a single ended Class A unity gain buffer, you probably don't like the second order harmonic distortion.

Weird is good, bring whatever it is!

It's just a pair of Vintage Sennheiser HD424 headphones converted into balanced operation! :xf_eek:

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #44 of 57
Chris,

You would be right on all counts regarding the circuit topology.
The schematic below is what I built.  Exceptions are that the power supply caps are all 18,000 uF, and the rails are +/-18V.
It's a pretty massive power supply considering I originally bought the parts to build an Aleph 3 or one of the Zen variations projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back