Attn: Headroom Blockhead on audiogon
Apr 10, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Please Slimm, don't hold it in. Let it out and tell us how you feel. If you're excited about the new unit, just say so.

HAHA, congrats man! I know I'll be going nuts once the new CDP and amp arrive at my place, but for now, I'll just rejoice with you in your new aqcusitions.

LOL! Me too!! I'll have everything but the amp by the end of next week, but for now I'll also celebrate with you, Slimm. Congrats!

Apr 10, 2004 at 2:23 PM Post #47 of 51
Slimm,you better hold of on buying a digital camera just yet.I've got a good feeling an Orpheus is about to come up for auction.Congratulations on the new system(you lucky dog).Gary.

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Guss2
Slimm,you better hold of on buying a digital camera just yet.I've got a good feeling an Orpheus is about to come up for auction.Congratulations on the new system(you lucky dog).Gary.

Eh? Are you serious? You know something?

-Ed

Apr 10, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Slimm
I really still don't believe it. I'm in awe.

In the end, that's what this hobby is all about - just being in awe of the music we love to hear. It is something that many seek, but not everyone finds. Congrats on the step of faith and jumping on this equipment. I bet it was worth missing the Yanks game to listen to it, huh?
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
In the end, that's what this hobby is all about - just being in awe of the music we love to hear. It is something that many seek, but not everyone finds. Congrats on the step of faith and jumping on this equipment. I bet it was worth missing the Yanks game to listen to it, huh?
biggrin.gif

Hell yeah. I love baseball, but I can watch baseball over 162 times a year. The Blockhead arrives at your doorstep only once.

One thing that really struch me about the RS-1's on this system. They really, really sounded neutral. Unlike the 650's which screamed "DYNAMIC" all over the place, the RS-1's laid everything at your feet in unison. It reminded me of my friends HP-2's, so I invited him over to compare, as I didn't trust my memory. So he brought the Hp-2/Melos combo with him. Lucky thing his wife was away for the Easter weekend.
wink.gif

And he concured, he heard the the sound signature of his HP-2's. Not quite as much detail as the HP-2's (or the 650's for that matter) but neutrality was there. Not to be heard was the dynamics of the midrange present with the RS-1/RA-1 combo, and the mid bass that's so evident on this combo is greatly diminished, but the deep, deep bass the RS-1 can pump out remains. The're not nearly as forward either, the "wine" that Zanth finds in the RS-1's isn't there. What is? Detail, high highs, very pleasant midrange, and low lows. In a word, neutrality. My buddy concurs with this, but to him the highs didn't quite reach as high, and the lows didn't reach the depths of the HP's. Nontheless he was really impressed with the sound, he said he never knew the RS-1's could sound so good. We believe it's got a lot to do with the Joe Grado cables and the balanced source. I just can't get over the difference.

I'll have to ask the folks at Headroom about this Monday.

The great thing about it is that there's so much music that I WANT to listen to now. I've never been a Bob Dylan fan, but I asked my buddy to leave the Dylan Cd's he brought, so I could explore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back