ATTN: Head-fiers in China
Jun 5, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 12
i think the best bargain from china is the zhaolu with the discrete amp module. it is on par with the Gilmore Lite and can be used as an amp only. the whole zhaolu+discrete amp is cheaper than the Gilmore Lite, so it's a good deal.

as for cheap tube amps from china, in my experience they need to be modded to sound really good.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the best bargain from china is the zhaolu with the discrete amp module. it is on par with the Gilmore Lite and can be used as an amp only. the whole zhaolu+discrete amp is cheaper than the Gilmore Lite, so it's a good deal.

as for cheap tube amps from china, in my experience they need to be modded to sound really good.

Does Darkvoice 336i count as cheap (no modding needed, amazing amp honestly)? The amp you mention for modding would be Xuanshang (correct me if I am wrong), which once modded is a really really good amplifier, so I don't think we are talking about a $200 amp there, just cheap components bring it down there.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't know if the Darkvoice 336i can drive certain headphones like the Denons. Would have to measure their output impedance. The discrete amp module in the Zhaolu is only $44, and I looked at the build quality and design, and I have no idea how they built such a nice amp for so cheap. It definately competes with the $300-$400 class of SS amps. And comes with free DAC.

Jun 5, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 12
I am not sure about the 336i, but for a fact I know that 332 can drive low impedance headphones. I am not going to make any speculations though, we can always just ask some 336i owner =]

There are some things that are probable in the case of the Zhalou amp stage - is that its entirely the cost of components, just as an option to the build of the DAC which is the product itself. It may also be noted that not everyone is impressed with the sound of the Zhalou Descrete amp stage, so that area is a bit up to debate, or just hear with one's own ears. Can't complain about source improvement in this case though.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 12
i know the 337 can drive the denons, but at $800 is no longer a "cheap Chinese amp."

the zhaolu's discrete amp by design is similar to the Gilmore Lite, and sounds very similar too. Actually I think it sounds smoother than the Gilmore Lite. It uses the Hitachi 2SJ77/2SK214 output MOSFETs with 0.5A output and film coupling capacitors and a DC servo. They use ELNA capacitors and WIMAs. Definately good parts, and a gold-plated headphone jack. The heatsink is large enough to cool a Dynahi channel. At $44, it's a steal. You can just get one of these by itself and build a S22 power supply for it.

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 12
Raphael,

Yes, I've heard it and auditioned it extensively. Nice amp, especially for the $$. Sounds very nice with my both my AKG 701s and Senns HD-650s, with my preference being the 701s.

You can check it more about it here . . . http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/prod0112341223.htm or here . . . http://www.cattylink.com/ (scroll down on the page a bit).

>>> Fhaung - Price in HK should be less than USD 200. Hi-Fi Tone in MongKok (56 Dundas Street, 16/F) carries it.

Cheers,
Garry

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 12
It's definitely not a Caylin HA-1A although it looks similar. I have both the HA-1A and a Ming Da Opera Mini and love them to death especially when modded. Absolute bargains.

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #11 of 12
I've auditioned it extensively and i love it. it's probably my favourite headphone amp that i've heard to date (including cayin ha1).

Here are some photos of the insides. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...1&postcount=22

Ming Da (meixing) is no back alley brand.. it's one of the larger tube amp companies in china. I've owned one of their integrated amps, i currently own one of their preamps and i've auditioned extensively their headphone amp. i've also heard two of their monoblock power amp designs and a few of their integrated amps.

there's a bad photo of it in my signature under the link for "original master" and it's slightly visible in the original a8s photo too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back