Attn GY!BE fans
Mar 25, 2003 at 5:54 AM Post #17 of 22
If I remember their itinerary properly, I had planned a couple of months ago to buy around a dozen tickets to see them at the Warsaw in Brooklyn, where I have seen Mogwai previously. Unfortunately, I could hardly find anybody who was interested in going with me. That's always been a problem with the music I like.

However, I think they are playing at the Warsaw, which is a small general admission standing room only place in Brooklyn on April 21st or 25th or somewhere around there. Friday, I think. Check it out.

Hmm. I wonder what Labradford are like live.

Mar 26, 2003 at 12:27 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by viviorunitia4
i'd say that Yanqui U.X.O. is my favorite GYBE album, with Lift Yr. Skinny Fists in a close second. I saw their show on March 16 in St. Louis, and it was awesome. They played more from Lift yr. Skinny fists and earlier material. They also played a few songs I hadn't heard, but I'm guessing that they're from f# a# oo.

I saw 'em in chicago on the 20th. Awesome show. period. if i were forced to pick 1 word to describe it, i think id choose bliss.

If they played the same material as they did in st louis, then they opened with a song from lift...., then played a song i've not heard before, then they played 3rd track on yanqui, then another from lift your, then tracks 4/5 from yanqui. also performed moya (1st track of slow riot) as an encore piece.

They didn't play anything off of f#a#(infinity). (or at least not that I or any of the people i was with could tell).

Live is so much better than recorded.

Apr 13, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 22
I'll be seeing GY!BE tonight here in Montreal. It's the first of three, I believe, sold out shows. I'll try to give a report tomorrow.

Apr 13, 2003 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 22
Unfortunately, the Philly GYBE show was sold out BUT, I did had the pleasure of seeing a mighty-fine Australian act last night at the TLA - The Dirty Three. Originally a three-piece consisting of violin, guitar and drums, last night's show included a bass player which, while it thickened things up a bit, could probably have been left out.

The reason I am posting this here, it that if you like GYBE, I am fairly confident you will like The Dirty Three as well. They cover very similar ground in terms of sonics and mood, but I find they are generally more consistent than GYBE. The majority of their albums are released through Touch and Go (Chicago), so they should be readily available.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Guardian
You're very lucky! The Dirty Three is wonderful.

Yes I know! I could not believe it when I saw they were playing in Philadelphia. They drew a good crowd, but it certainly was not a sell-out, unlike what usually happens back in Melbourne (Australia).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back