Attn GY!BE fans
Feb 3, 2003 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 22
heh heh....you mean the 1 hour or so to chitown is too far??
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 22
no, it's just a pain in the ass! and I've also noticed that alot of good bands just skip milwaukee and wisconsin in general (flaming lips, beck, etc.) and I'm getting a little tired of it!

Feb 3, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 22
The website indicates that a western US tour will be in 2004. I will be flying home to Louisiana to visit, and I have planned my visit around the New Orleans show......

Feb 3, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 22
is their new one any good BTW? heard it's it a bit mellower, more silences, less thick, that sorta thing? positively digging Lift Your.... nowadays and probably getting Slow Riot soon... but getting the current material is always coolest tho IMO.

Feb 3, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 22
I would describe Yanqui UXO as kind of a blend of all of their albums, in a way, but really also very different. It is not as depressing as lift your skinny little fists... IMO. The feeling is more closer to Slow Riot (which i guess doesn't tell you much) and the less dismal portions of f#a#(infinity) and lift your ... .

Unlike their other albums, there arent any background sound bites -- it is strictly instrumental. Starts off kind of slower, but picks up as it goes, as does all their material. I definitely recommend it; it is an album that has gotten and continues to get a lot of play time on my system.

If you're going to purchase it, though, I would recommend ordering it direct from constellation for $10 rather than paying retail prices.

--NJM

Feb 4, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 22
I caught them live a couple of years ago at the Great American Music Hall in SF. Great show. They were all over the place. They even really rocked out at some points.

Do not miss them.

Feb 4, 2003 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by scamper
I caught them live a couple of years ago at the Great American Music Hall in SF. Great show. They were all over the place. They even really rocked out at some points.

Do not miss them.

scamper, did you go on the 30th or the 31st? I went on the 30th, I think.

I agree, the show was great... but they didn't play Moya (my favorite GYBE track...) ... I was quite disappointed.
frown.gif

Oh well, I'd like to see them again if I could.

- Chris

Feb 4, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 22
Hey Chris,

I was there on the 30th as well. Missing Moya was bad. Maybe next time, eh.

I really enjoyed the jam session they had with Jean Grey (?)(Mecca Normal). Nice big wall of sound.

Did you catch the GYBE! show with Labradford and Matmos? I could not make that show, but I heard it on KFJC. Pretty impressive.

Feb 4, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 22
Yanqui UXO is sort of a streamlined GYBE. Very lean, no musical fat. I personally prefer levez vos skinny fists because it is more bleak and ponderous, later pleading, but Yanqui is nicely refined.

Feb 6, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #14 of 22
re tour info: check out billions.com, they book 'em (and have for some time now) - it's the first place tour dates are confirmed. plus you can always get all yr friends to email billions and swear they'll come out to the show and take the band to the fuel cafe if they do come. might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back