ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 6, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #8,536 of 9,763
@qua2k I like closed-backs with good dynamics and wide soundstage so I'm hoping they check those boxes.
Yes it will check those boxes multiple times :) I love close backs as well, had the TR-X00, TH900 Lawton, 900 MK2, and semi closed Grado/Bushmills and the Eikon is the best for me right now without spending $2k+. The Fostex are fun and bass monsters but the Eikon has the right bass in the right places for me.

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #8,537 of 9,763
i didn't take me too long since first heard ZMF and then pick up a pair thanks to audiomart lol. I got a pair of Padauk Eikon that i actually found the listing here and then passed onto canada through many serious headphone lovers. there is signature on the headband.

listen to these and like it more and more. i think it sound a bit similar to lcd xc, but bigger sound and a little bit less bass. looks like bottle head is a good amp for it. gonna pick up one later.

i was downsizing and sold all my audeze headphones then picked up a bunch of other headphones in the $1000s range.

anyone else using hugo and then upgraded to something else to improve the sound? i want to see how much better these can sound.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #8,538 of 9,763
any recommendation for pad rolling to make it more bassy? right now it has a black leather looking pad which i think it's stock.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #8,539 of 9,763
any recommendation for pad rolling to make it more bassy? right now it has a black leather looking pad which i think it's stock.
I use the solid Auteur pads and have found that they have good bass, FWIW.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #8,540 of 9,763
Assuming the pad you have is the Eikon pad, that's the warmest/bassiest pad option for the Eikon:

1631573324329.png

If you want to go bassier you'll have to go either the EQ route or a warmer amp than what you have. A Schiit Loki is also an option for analog EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #8,541 of 9,763
If you want more bassy, I would recomment maybe testing the Fostex TH900 or a Lawton'ized version if you don't want to EQ. Those are bass monsters. too much for me, hence why I am here :) but you may enjoy it, was especially good for edm.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #8,542 of 9,763
If you want more bassy, I would recomment maybe testing the Fostex TH900 or a Lawton'ized version if you don't want to EQ. Those are bass monsters. too much for me, hence why I am here :) but you may enjoy it, was especially good for edm.
I had a purple heart for a few month. Way too much bass like out of control and not enjoyable at all. I also had the rp3 and mad dog. Both garbage sounding. I didn't try the brands higher model like the th900 but if tuning is similar then not good. The more I listen to the eikon the more satisfied I am at its bass. I gave hd820 a few hours listen today and it's similar level to the eikon, slightly analytical than the eikon. But much more enjoyable than hd800s from what I remembered. I think soon I will try more expensive zmf. I wonder those are worth it. Quite a bit more expensive. The verite ones cost 3 times what I paid for the eikon on the used market.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #8,543 of 9,763
Assuming the pad you have is the Eikon pad, that's the warmest/bassiest pad option for the Eikon:

1631573324329.png

If you want to go bassier you'll have to go either the EQ route or a warmer amp than what you have. A Schiit Loki is also an option for analog EQ.
I actually hooked up the Loki for the first time and connected to Hugo and beyerdynamic A1. With kimber kable rca and better cables rca. Interesting little device. But I played with it a bit and prefer non eq sound better. Hooked up the T1 first gen too while I was at it and it is ok, it's got a higher end thicker pad on it which increase the bass significantly in a good way. Beyerdynamic is definitely behind on the sound quality these days. I can see why people settle for zmf in the end. Just musical and enjoyable and also very comfortable to wear. Lighter than audeze and more reliable from what I read. Beyerdynamic and audeze were the only brand I had to use warranty on their drivers. It both have great support. I'm trying to decide the A1 amp vs Hugo built in amp. Very close. Lol. Probably get rid of all my beyerdynamic and then build myself a bottlehead mainline later. I do want to give tube another try after the little dot MK iii I had for a few years and then realized it is not that good sounding no matter what tube you put on that one lol. Got to move up to the higher end tube ones like from woo audio.

I been playing tidal hifi through usb audio pro on Android and just using my good high end sony phone and pretty much put all my fiio portable obsolete. OTG from anything sounds the same correct me if I'm wrong.

I listen to electronics music with a lot of bass and all kind of instruments so I wonder tube will be good or just stick with solid state. I'm definitely happy with my headphones for now and want to roll amp and a bit more. Maybe just amps. The Hugo 1 is really quite good sounding and have to spend a lot more money to beat it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #8,544 of 9,763
I love the Loki for my HD800. I keep a preset on it. It turns on for the HD800 and off for my Eikon or Utopia.

The HD800 with a bit of bass boost is a really, really underrated headphone. The bass on that goes extremely deep if you push it a bit.

If I were to EQ the Eikon, I'd want it to be a bit more mid-forward. The Eikon is somewhat v-shaped in my opinion (not that v-shaped is bad).

I actually hooked up the Loki for the first time and connected to Hugo and beyerdynamic A1. With kimber kable rca and better cables rca. Interesting little device. But I played with it a bit and prefer non eq sound better. Hooked up the T1 first gen too while I was at it and it is ok, it's got a higher end thicker pad on it which increase the bass significantly in a good way. Beyerdynamic is definitely behind on the sound quality these days. I can see why people settle for zmf in the end. Just musical and enjoyable and also very comfortable to wear. Lighter than audeze and more reliable from what I read. Beyerdynamic and audeze were the only brand I had to use warranty on their drivers. It both have great support. I'm trying to decide the A1 amp vs Hugo built in amp. Very close. Lol. Probably get rid of all my beyerdynamic and then build myself a bottlehead mainline later. I do want to give tube another try after the little dot MK iii I had for a few years and then realized it is not that good sounding no matter what tube you put on that one lol. Got to move up to the higher end tube ones like from woo audio.

I been playing tidal hifi through usb audio pro on Android and just using my good high end sony phone and pretty much put all my fiio portable obsolete. OTG from anything sounds the same correct me if I'm wrong.

I listen to electronics music with a lot of bass and all kind of instruments so I wonder tube will be good or just stick with solid state. I'm definitely happy with my headphones for now and want to roll amp and a bit more. Maybe just amps. The Hugo 1 is really quite good sounding and have to spend a lot more money to beat it.

Sep 26, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #8,545 of 9,763
guys/gals....I sold off all my ZMF gear. No more Eikon, No more Aeolus, No more Pendant...

I put all the money into 2.1/ HT listening. Watching movies is great, and i went with a music first system so i can share my enjoyment with a few friends... but dang, I'm having a little trouble adjusting...
and bought a pair of Hifiman HE400se for $150 or so to hold me over. I had an Ananda which sound sig wise wasn't too far off the the Eikon. It will do.

no real point to this, just sad, drinking whiskey, and venting.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #8,546 of 9,763
guys/gals....I sold off all my ZMF gear. No more Eikon, No more Aeolus, No more Pendant...

I put all the money into 2.1/ HT listening. Watching movies is great, and i went with a music first system so i can share my enjoyment with a few friends... but dang, I'm having a little trouble adjusting...
and bought a pair of Hifiman HE400se for $150 or so to hold me over. I had an Ananda which sound sig wise wasn't too far off the the Eikon. It will do.

Are you in Canada? I saw on Canuck audio someone selling two zmf and a pendant just sold for 2000 Canadian. Not sure they are the same seller lol. Zmf is easy to sell when you don't like it. I will hold onto my eikon for now.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #8,547 of 9,763

Hey man, we all have our own path. You may come back this way, you might not. What's important is that you enjoy the music...

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #8,548 of 9,763
Are you in Canada? I saw on Canuck audio someone selling two zmf and a pendant just sold for 2000 Canadian. Not sure they are the same seller lol. Zmf is easy to sell when you don't like it. I will hold onto my eikon for now.

not the same seller lol. meet the person selling them on cam locally to get his auteurs. im in vancouver

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #8,549 of 9,763
not the same seller lol. meet the person selling them on cam locally to get his auteurs. im in vancouver
i was on my phone it didn't show your location lol. i was in vancouver for 16 years now kamloops. nobody to take a look each other's headphones with lol. just got more serious after moving here.

the other guy selling all his zmf is in usa lol.

so what about you did you get a pendent? i am quite curious on that one.

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #8,550 of 9,763

Well, the least you can do is inform as us to what 2.1 system you put together...

And don't fret...I'm sure there will be more headphones in the future for all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back