ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 2, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #7,502 of 9,716
I am not familiar with otl meaning, I assume 300omh requires a very good amount of power to drive them accordingly.
otl = output transformerless

it's a tube amp design that uses tubes in place of a transformer. common examples of an otl amp are the bottlehead crack, woo wa3, and schiit valhalla.

oddly i don't find any of the zmf's too hard to drive, you don't need a ton of power. It's more about sound synergy vs raw power, imo. Don't get me wrong, a good desktop amp is ideal, but it doesn't have to be a beast on the power front. i really like my schiit vali 2 with them, and that isn't a particularly powerful amp. it puts out about 270mw at 300ohm, which is decent, but hardly groundbreaking. my lake people rs-08 puts out 2570mw at 300ohm, many many times more power. though they sound different, i think it's more about how they're tuned, vs the power output.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #7,503 of 9,716
otl = output transformerless

it's a tube amp design that uses tubes in place of a transformer. common examples of an otl amp are the bottlehead crack, woo wa3, and schiit valhalla.

oddly i don't find any of the zmf's too hard to drive, you don't need a ton of power. It's more about sound synergy vs raw power, imo. Don't get me wrong, a good desktop amp is ideal, but it doesn't have to be a beast on the power front. i really like my schiit vali 2 with them, and that isn't a particularly powerful amp. it puts out about 270mw at 300ohm, which is decent, but hardly groundbreaking. my lake people rs-08 puts out 2570mw at 300ohm, many many times more power. though they sound different, i think it's more about how they're tuned, vs the power output.

I see, its not just a question of a tube amp. Its all tubes even the transformer... again am not an expert.

Y have way more power then my wm1z at 300 ohm! 1z would be like 80mw maybe...

I once hooked hd800s via balanced out and had to use volume 110 of 120.
Some occasions quiet often was short at 120 maxed volume.
But they sounded very pleasant nevertheless! And not as siblant.

Yea I guess its a try and error thing , then you like it or not.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #7,504 of 9,716
I see, its not just a question of a tube amp. Its all tubes even the transformer... again am not an expert.

Y have way more power then my wm1z at 300 ohm! 1z would be like 80mw maybe...

I once hooked hd800s via balanced out and had to use volume 110 of 120.
Some occasions quiet often was short at 120 maxed volume.
But they sounded very pleasant nevertheless! And not as siblant.

Yea I guess its a try and error thing , then you like it or not.
i think the hd800 is a good benchmark on power requirements for zmf. i had an hd800 for awhile, and i'd have to say they have similar power demands. so if you're finding the hd800 to be too much of a load for the wm1z, i'd think a zmf would fare similarly. the lowest power amp i can remember running either the hd800 or a zmf through is the dragonfly red. i don't know what it's power output is at 300ohm but it's not much at all, and i found both the hd800 and my zmfs to sound quite lifeless and lethargic out of it.

yeah, in the end give it a shot, see how it sounds, and then assess your situation.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #7,505 of 9,716
i think the hd800 is a good benchmark on power requirements for zmf. i had an hd800 for awhile, and i'd have to say they have similar power demands. so if you're finding the hd800 to be too much of a load for the wm1z, i'd think a zmf would fare similarly. the lowest power amp i can remember running either the hd800 or a zmf through is the dragonfly red. i don't know what it's power output is at 300ohm but it's not much at all, and i found both the hd800 and my zmfs to sound quite lifeless and lethargic out of it.

yeah, in the end give it a shot, see how it sounds, and then assess your situation.

Yes then thats a good exercise for my wm1z lol.
Definitely it was like 20% short in power output for hd800s in my liking. If you load dsds wooaa forget it need an extra 35%.

But I still loved the sound and synergy. :beyersmile:

Aaa lol I will never downgrade to such a level to use a dragonfly dongle, its purpose is only good for samsung earbuds lmao.

When I had an lg v30 I found it to sound superior to dragonfly and equal with mojo.

Wm1z sound is pure magic but low powerout sad

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #7,506 of 9,716
Any idea whats the recommended power in mw it needs? To properly achieve its potential ?
I can’t remember where I read this but it had Zach saying the Atticus needs 250mw-350mw (depending on volume level) at 300ohm for best sound quality.

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #7,507 of 9,716
I can’t remember where I read this but it had Zach saying the Atticus needs 250mw-350mw (depending on volume level) at 300ohm for best sound quality.

Our drivers will get decent volume with most devices, even cell phones. However for the best sonics we recommend 100mW at 300 ohm impedance out and 300mW at 300 ohms is best to max out the driver. Of course it's OK to have headroom (wattage above max).

ZMF headphones do not require any particular type of amp, be it tube or solid state, but OTL tube amps can typically have higher power outputs at 300 ohm than transformer regulated outputs.​

From ZMF Guide FAQ: “ What kind of headphone amp do I need?”

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #7,508 of 9,716
Left to know how much mw 1z has at 300ohm hmm

Or definitely adding an amp like wa11 would easiest solution.

Thanks for the help )

Any idea how heavy is Atticus I think I saw 495 grams somewhere?

Also wonder if it is rated at -25 db sound isolation.

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #7,509 of 9,716
Left to know how much mw 1z has at 300ohm hmm

Or definitely adding an amp like wa11 would easiest solution.

Thanks for the help )

Any idea how heavy is Atticus I think I saw 495 grams somewhere?

Also wonder if it is rated at -25 db sound isolation.
That definitely depends on the type of wood & hardware, but you're in the ballpark. He does list 490 grams as an estimate on his website.
I find them to be quite comfortable, but of course YMMV

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #7,510 of 9,716
That definitely depends on the type of wood & hardware, but you're in the ballpark. He does list 490 grams as an estimate on his website.
I find them to be quite comfortable, but of course YMMV

Yea I just sae that wm1z only outputs 14 mw at 300 ohms lLoLl
I guess its a nono
Amp required

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #7,511 of 9,716
Yea I just sae that wm1z only outputs 14 mw at 300 ohms lLoLl
I guess its a nono
Amp required
That’s around 2.05 volts. Atticus work ok from a 1v (3.33mw) iPhone dongle actually and sound really quite great from an ES100 in high voltage mode via the balanced output with just 2.2 volts on tap. My desktop systems are better, but not so much so that I feel like I can’t enjoy them on the ES100. YMMV but it’s worth a try at least to see how it sounds if you have the gear already. 2v will get them close to 110dB. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #7,512 of 9,716
That’s around 2.05 volts. Atticus work ok from a 1v (3.33mw) iPhone dongle actually and sound really quite great from an ES100 in high voltage mode via the balanced output with just 2.2 volts on tap. My desktop systems are better, but not so much so that I feel like I can’t enjoy them on the ES100. YMMV but it’s worth a try at least to see how it sounds if you have the gear already. 2v will get them close to 110dB. Not bad at all.

Ohh okey then.

Will look more into this closely then.
I saw november specials on atticus at 900$ black african. Those are sick looking, really nice )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back