ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 23, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #5,596 of 9,716
I think that's EXACTLY right. It's more common in EDM and modern tracks granted, so the warmth you speak of comes into its own in other genres, like acoustic music, jazz and indie. Between the Atticus and LCD-2 I have most of my music preferences covered, but I guess there's still a little punchy hole to fill. Perhaps and Eikon/LCD combination will do it better, I don't know.
This is where I'm at now. I can't do the mid-range hole from the Elears, the TH-X00s have a dip & non-replaceable cable, I'm not a fan of the EMU Teak's design, etc. All of the "v-shaped" headphones appear to have compromises :frowning2:

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #5,597 of 9,716
This is where I'm at now. I can't do the mid-range hole from the Elears, the TH-X00s have a dip & non-replaceable cable, I'm not a fan of the EMU Teak's design, etc. All of the "v-shaped" headphones appear to have compromises :frowning2:
I still haven’t heard the Eikon but the more I listen to the Atticus the less I wonder what its brother sounds like. Getting plenty of punch and slam and the bloom has settled somewhat over time. There are still times I miss the Fostex bass, but like you say, it’s too compromised and one-dimensional, and the Atticus outflanks it in every other aspect, from build to balance.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #5,598 of 9,716

I don't find the Atticus to be particularly strong with EDM/pop/rap. It might be a basshead set by diffuse field audophile standards, but not mine. It just doesn't have enough of slam/rumble in the sub bass. The darker treble also plays a role in my previously mentioned statement. The thump around 100-120 hz is nice on the Atticus.

I find my HP-3 and Atticus to be a perfect pairing. The Atticus is great for rock/metal/vocal/acoustic/organic/classic pop music while the HP-3 utterly dominates on contemporary pop/edm/rap and classical (yes, I think violins sound better on it). Yes, it's a Fostex bio-cellulose driver, but it's a custom one made for Klipsch by Fostex, not the same one from the Teak/TH-X00.

All V shaped headphones will have compromises, but as someone who has heard the Teak and TH-X00, the HP-3 is a step up. I'd recommend giving it a try if you can, or find a store with a good return policy. HP-3 is also god tier for gaming. The Atticus is more forgiving of poorly recorded music due to its relaxed nature. The HP-3's detail retrieval will almost instantly reveal a poorly mastered/recorded track. I also think the HP-3 actually had a couple db too much around 70-90 hz, whereas with the Atticus I ended up EQ'ing the bass below 80hz by more than a few DB.

Still love my Atticus and no genre really sounds bad on it, at all. Everything is just so nice and relaxed and snare drums sound so good! Wish I could try an Eikon, but that's $300 more than both other headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #5,599 of 9,716
I don't find the Atticus to be particularly strong with EDM/pop/rap. It might be a basshead set by diffuse field audophile standards, but not mine. It just doesn't have enough of slam/rumble in the sub bass. The darker treble also plays a role in my previously mentioned statement. The thump around 100-120 hz is nice on the Atticus.

For me, the Atticus works wonderfully with EDM. It could be because of my setup, or the fact that I like my sound to be relaxed. I even love EDM with the HD650, which is a great headphone, although not as spectacular as the Atticus.

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #5,600 of 9,716
All V shaped headphones will have compromises, but as someone who has heard the Teak and TH-X00, the HP-3 is a step up. I'd recommend giving it a try if you can, or find a store with a good return policy. HP-3 is also god tier for gaming. The Atticus is more forgiving of poorly recorded music due to its relaxed nature. The HP-3's detail retrieval will almost instantly reveal a poorly mastered/recorded track.
Intresting. I currently have fidelio x2 as my main gaming headphones, and they are really good for immersive single player gaming. Hp3 kinda seems like an x2 on steroids, I wanna try it sooo bad.

For me, the Atticus works wonderfully with EDM. It could be because of my setup, or the fact that I like my sound to be relaxed. I even love EDM with the HD650, which is a great headphone, although not as spectacular as the Atticus.
I think your different findings is due to the different amps. Atticus appearently needs the right tube amplifier to get the massive bass impact everyone is talking about.

Have any of you tried atticus with trance?

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #5,601 of 9,716
Intresting. I currently have fidelio x2 as my main gaming headphones, and they are really good for immersive single player gaming. Hp3 kinda seems like an x2 on steroids, I wanna try it sooo bad.

I think your different findings is due to the different amps. Atticus appearently needs the right tube amplifier to get the massive bass impact everyone is talking about.

I don't listen to trance - maybe I should. I listen to some electronica (from Kraftwerk to Zero7), but mostly to drum & bass (London Elektricity, Logistics, and such; practically anything released by Hospital Records). The Atticus works decently with the Valhalla 2. However, it works way better with my old XCAN V3; wider soundstage, smoother sound overall.

I've recently decided to upgrade to something that should push the Atticus further toward the sound I like. A few weeks ago, I asked if the WA3 would be a good match for the Atticus. I was told that yes, it would be a great match, but of course, the WA2 would be even better. So today, I was able to order the WA2 directly from Woo (overtime at work really helped with the funding). I think it's going to take a week or two before it gets here in Northern California, and I will report on this forum after I've listened to it for a few days.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #5,602 of 9,716

Amps might be part of it...but if you look at the FR graph for the Atticus, it rolls off under 100 hz a decent amount.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFAtticus.pdf

Eikon, on the other hand, doesn't roll off.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFEikon.pdf

HP-3 doesn't super drop until about 30 hz, but it's not really noticable and can hit a 20hz tone with no problem.

The Atticus definitely capable of some thumping, especially in the upper mid-bass area. But to use an example, look at "Vacacion" by Nelly Furtado. The beat has a good sub bass rumble/thump that pounds hard on the HP-3 but only kind of grazes on the Atticus. On the other hand, "Attention" by Charlie Puth the bass beat (which is definitely higher than Vacacion) hits a bit harder and tighter on the Atticus.

They're really two different headphones that emphasize two different areas of the bass. I'm kind of surprised the HP-3 can hit as hard as it does considering how (semi) open it is. To me, the Atticus was made for "real" instruments in mind. Snare drums, acoustic guitars, vocals...all sound so good. But if you like thwomping bass with clarity and you choose "EDMLORD" as your user name...HP-3 I would have to recommend.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #5,603 of 9,716

Oddly enough I found my Atticus to have much more slam with the Audio-GD R2R-11 than with the Woo WA3, even though common wisdom suggests otherwise. In fact I sold my WA3 after that realization because I bought it specifically for the Atticus. Go figure.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #5,604 of 9,716
Has anyone tried out the new Mytek Liberty or the Brooklyn with the A or E?

I just want to know if it warrants a listen ... More so the Liberty. I'm looking for a smallish & movable setup for my kitchen table

I was thinking about a Hugo 2 .. but it seems to be alot of money .. the price of the New Liberty is about what I think is a fair price for my needs

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #5,605 of 9,716
Amps might be part of it...but if you look at the FR graph for the Atticus, it rolls off under 100 hz a decent amount.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFAtticus.pdf

Eikon, on the other hand, doesn't roll off.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ZMFEikon.pdf

HP-3 doesn't super drop until about 30 hz, but it's not really noticable and can hit a 20hz tone with no problem.

The Atticus definitely capable of some thumping, especially in the upper mid-bass area. But to use an example, look at "Vacacion" by Nelly Furtado. The beat has a good sub bass rumble/thump that pounds hard on the HP-3 but only kind of grazes on the Atticus. On the other hand, "Attention" by Charlie Puth the bass beat (which is definitely higher than Vacacion) hits a bit harder and tighter on the Atticus.

They're really two different headphones that emphasize two different areas of the bass. I'm kind of surprised the HP-3 can hit as hard as it does considering how (semi) open it is. To me, the Atticus was made for "real" instruments in mind. Snare drums, acoustic guitars, vocals...all sound so good. But if you like thwomping bass with clarity and you choose "EDMLORD" as your user name...HP-3 I would have to recommend.
I guess you have a solid point. I just feel like it isn't a definitive awnser to what is the ultimate edm can. People like different sound signatures, have different hearing etc. Many say fostex th-x00 is edm kings under 1000$, while i much prefer sony z7 due to it's very emotional type of bass response. It makes me connected to the music in a way fostex can only dream of, although fostex is technically superior. It is also much easier to crank up the volume on z7, as the highs are much smoother and less pronounced. Note that i have young ears, and a insanely massive edm collection (1000+ tracks, including many poor recordings). I think my personal taste will appreciate the forgiving nature of the atticus when it comes to recordings and sound signature.

My mjolnir 2 will also pair better with it, and it's great macro dynamics and slam will based on what i've read get the full potential out of the atticus.

Mar 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #5,606 of 9,716
I would agree the Atticus bass seems more controlled than the HP-3, even if it lacks in extension and head shocking by comparison. I think the only way to see for sure to try them. Atticus has a 25% stocking fee (ouch) if you return it, whereas most places (including Klipsch) where you can get the HP-3 will have a 5% or 0% return fee, which makes it safer to try. Maybe goto a local meetup and see if anyone has them?

I own both of these and while they both have a reputation for "basshead" cans in the community, they couldn't be further apart. I find myself wanting to listen to instrumental music almost exclusively on the Atticus but pop and EDM on the HP-3. I would actually say the LCD2C is a good EDM choice over the Atticus because the bass extends well to the sub like the HP-3 (even better), but has the darker sound signature which can tame overly sharp treble on some poorly recorded tracks. Only negative is it doesn't hit as hard and has a narrow soundstage.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #5,607 of 9,716
20180325_123007.jpg 20180325_123020.jpg

Hey wondering if some one can help me out. So this my second attempt at soldering a jack and im bit confused and colour bind, my first attempt had it out of faze and I haven't come back to it in months. So I have de-soldered the connections and have the four separate cables(blue, red, green and gold). From looking online I should have 3 usually so I'm a little confused as to where the 4th cable goes. Can some one help me match everything up?

Edit: My cheap aldi soldering iron broke...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #5,608 of 9,716
I would agree the Atticus bass seems more controlled than the HP-3, even if it lacks in extension and head shocking by comparison. I think the only way to see for sure to try them. Atticus has a 25% stocking fee (ouch) if you return it, whereas most places (including Klipsch) where you can get the HP-3 will have a 5% or 0% return fee, which makes it safer to try. Maybe goto a local meetup and see if anyone has them?

I own both of these and while they both have a reputation for "basshead" cans in the community, they couldn't be further apart. I find myself wanting to listen to instrumental music almost exclusively on the Atticus but pop and EDM on the HP-3. I would actually say the LCD2C is a good EDM choice over the Atticus because the bass extends well to the sub like the HP-3 (even better), but has the darker sound signature which can tame overly sharp treble on some poorly recorded tracks. Only negative is it doesn't hit as hard and has a narrow soundstage.
I already have a atticus campohr arriving sometime next week, witch i got used for 750$. Even if it doesn’t live up to my expectations for edm, I still wanna own it for other generes, and a closed back gaming headphone (as i have a pretty loud gaming pc). I aslo plan on getting lcd 2c as a counterpart. As you say, it’s darker signature will probably fit my taste better, I also want to own a planar. I keep dreaming about how fast and dynamic lcd 2c will sound out of mj2 with lisst tubes. When my x2 or z7 is used with them, the low end is just so absurdly impactful. The hp3 is never the less a very intresting headphone, that i’ll check out if i get the chance.

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #5,609 of 9,716

Hey wondering if some one can help me out. So this my second attempt at soldering a jack and im bit confused and colour bind, my first attempt had it out of faze and I haven't come back to it in months. So I have de-soldered the connections and have the four separate cables(blue, red, green and gold). From looking online I should have 3 usually so I'm a little confused as to where the 4th cable goes. Can some one help me match everything up?

Edit: My cheap aldi soldering iron broke...

AeRoPLoDgE

that is a balance cable with R+ R- L+ L-.
To reconnect to the single ended plug, you need to:
R+ wire -> R+ plug
L+ wire -> L+ plug
R- & L- wire -> ground or common

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #5,610 of 9,716
I grabbed a pair of suede Eikon pads for my Atticus. If I remember correctly, Zach said these keep the upper mids a little more well behaved over the suede Ori pads. Regardless the Eikon suede is recommended over the Ori suede for the Atticus.

The change is pretty significant. It turns my Atticus from something that masters just a few genres to something closer to a closed reference like the Eikon. Still tight and fast bass, however the lowering of the mid bass allows the sub bass to shine a little more. Treble is brought up but still overall smooth, maybe just a little more energy than I prefer though I have a feeling this is more due to a recent change in my system that I hope to have dialed in the coming weeks. I wouldn't pair the suede Atticus with a very forward sounding setup. I doubt this would pair well with the Jot (at least the earlier iteration, I have not heard the new ones that are supposedly smoother in that area). Pairs pretty well with my ZDS with a slightly warmer tube like the RCA red base which is already really smooth in the upper mids/lower treble.

Recommended as a good compliment to the stock Ori leather pads. Will probably be a bit genre and system specific for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back