ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2,747 of 9,714
I can't wait for my balanced cables to be delivered ... right now I'm using a Gumby Multibit & a Liquid Carbon ... all single-ended connections

Right now the Eikon is sounding like heaven

I can't image what the balanced connections could improve

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #2,748 of 9,714
I can't wait for my balanced cables to be delivered ... right now I'm using a Gumby Multibit & a Liquid Carbon ... all single-ended connections

Right now the Eikon is sounding like heaven

I can't image what the balanced connections could improve
I didn't listen but for a few songs but out of my Yggy and LC balanced I still preferred them out of the Kenzie over the LC still both sounded great. On the LC your going to have to turn it down as it has twice the power balanced as single ended so more headroom. I didn't try them single ended from the LC but I would guess a bit more dynamic response.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,749 of 9,714
Hmmm. That explains part of my confusion--but not the main part, which is I don't know how to solder/don't own a soldering gun, so this stuff is voodoo to me.

So:
-- If/when I get an Atticus
-- I'll have to beseech @Hansotek
to make me up a custom XLR-to-TRS adapter containing whatever best value resistor he determines
-- No doubt this will mean supplying him w/a suitable adapter, one he knows comes apart easily and can so be modified w/o too much trouble.

I'm liking the direction of this whole resister-mod string, though. It means that if I get an Atticus, I could tweak its performance easily/conveniently using any of my current SS amps. That's a comforting thought, actually (since I really don't plan to get a tube amp in future).

This! Hansotek, would you be interested in making some more of these? I have a feeling there's a market. :grin:

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2,750 of 9,714
This! Hansotek, would you be interested in making some more of these? I have a feeling there's a market. :grin:

Haha, I don't even own a soldering iron, guys. I probably would save myself a bunch of money if I did! I am going to try and find someone to help us out though. Stay tuned.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #2,751 of 9,714
  Has  anyone tried either the A or E with a Ray Samuels Raptor?

I should be getting my Eikon soon ('burning in' right now). I will hook up my Raptor and let you know. I'm curious as well since it's the only OTL I have right now.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2,752 of 9,714
Haha, I don't even own a soldering iron, guys. I probably would save myself a bunch of money if I did! I am going to try and find someone to help us out though. Stay tuned.
Have a decent soldering station what do you need?

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,754 of 9,714
Well, good news and bad news.  

Bad news:  I'm an idiot.

Good news:  I'm an idiot!  The amp works fine.  It has a protection circuit that mutes it for 30s when starting up.  I knew this but forgot about it since it's been a bit since I used the amp.  In my concern over the loud popping noise when removing the tube, I completely forgot about the protection circuit and that's why it wasn't making any noise.

So yeah, rolled a few tubes, settled on a good one and, with the high output resistance setting, I'm really enjoying this pairing.  The Project Solstice is a pretty robust amp, great value for the money.  I also built mine myself from the kit and it was super fun.  Anyone looking for a solid pairing on the cheaper side should definitely consider the Garage1217 amps.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #2,756 of 9,714
A 4-pin female XLR to 1/4" male pigtail with a 60ohm resistor built into it.

Your going to need a resistor that can handle what... 20W to be safe? From what I found on mouser.com, that's going to be a wire wound resistor, and they are a lot bigger than I thought.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #2,757 of 9,714
I have not ruled out Eikon or Atticus.  Since I cannot preview them, I'd be curious as how they fare vs:
Denon AH-D7000 (or 7200) , and Final Sonorus VI.  All are on my short list. 

​I'm after the set of cans that will communicate the most detail and music, and editorialize the least.  I don't mind a warm tilt, so long as they aren't over-romantic, or allowing the voicing to obscure detail. The can at home with any genre.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #2,758 of 9,714
Your going to need a resistor that can handle what... 20W to be safe? From what I found on mouser.com, that's going to be a wire wound resistor, and they are a lot bigger than I thought.

Oh goodness no. 5W would be far, far more than you'd ever need. You probably never even use more than 2W, even for the most dynamic transients. All of this stuff scales logarithmically, so you're usually using a lot less power than you think.

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,759 of 9,714
Oh goodness no. 5W would be far, far more than you'd ever need. You probably never even use more than 2W, even for the most dynamic transients. All of this stuff scales logarithmically, so you're usually using a lot less power than you think.
I'm sorry, but when I listen to my X2 at full volume from the Milo, I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to 16w at least. What did you say? Nevermind... MOAR POWAH is needed I think.

Sure, I had to super glue the voice coils in place after the first go, but I'm pretty sure they won't come shooting out this time. Huh, I missed 3 phone calls... Phone must have been on vibrate. So, this mod has a terrible effect on bass and mids, but I hear bells and cymbals just fine. Constantly, in fact.

Anyway, I have a slight headache and feel dizzy. I'm going to bed. I hope this ringing in my ears stops soon. 20W man... 20W.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,760 of 9,714
I'm sorry, but when I listen to my X2 at full volume from the Milo, I'm pretty sure I'm getting close to 16w at least. What did you say? Nevermind... MOAR POWAH is needed I think.

Sure, I had to super glue the voice coils in place after the first go, but I'm pretty sure they won't come shooting out this time. Huh, I missed 3 phone calls... Phone must have been on vibrate. So, this mod has a terrible effect on bass and mids, but I hear bells and cymbals just fine. Constantly, in fact.

Anyway, I have a slight headache and feel dizzy. I'm going to bed. I hope this ringing in my ears stops soon. 20W man... 20W.

I laughed too hard at this! LPT: Use rubber cement instead of super glue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back