ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 11, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,641 of 9,716
Try Ori pads on the Eikon. Much more dynamic for me.

Dammit. I'm gonna have to do that now... 
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,642 of 9,716
Has anyone used the Eikon with a Musical Fidelity M1? I'm looking to upgrade to a warm, fairly laid back SS amp and this is the first one I saw that piqued my interest in my price range. For <$600 do you have any other recommendations? Many thanks!

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #2,643 of 9,716
  Has anyone used the Eikon with a Musical Fidelity M1? I'm looking to upgrade to a warm, fairly laid back SS amp and this is the first one I saw that piqued my interest in my price range. For <$600 do you have any other recommendations? Many thanks!

The Cavalli Liquid Carbon is a warm, fairly laid back solid state and is one of the best pairings I have heard with the Eikon, in terms of synergy and dollar-for-dollar value. There are a few of them on the sale forum in the $500-$600 range. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #2,644 of 9,716

The Cavalli Liquid Carbon is a warm, fairly laid back solid state and is one of the best pairings I have heard with the Eikon, in terms of synergy and dollar-for-dollar value. There are a few of them on the sale forum in the $500-$600 range. 

I'm also considering that, thanks. I'm awaiting my Elear to sell first! 

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,646 of 9,716
  Can anyone compare well amped Atticus/Eikon and TH-X00 in terms of dynamics?

I have both on Apex Peak. Atticus has a nice signature, pretty much in line with reviews, but sounds relatively soft. Dynamics are nowhere near TH-X00. Eikon is similar. How are things on other amps?

I tried the Atticus and Eikon on the Sangaku I had here for over a week and I did not like the synergy as much as I did with the Mogwai. Honestly the Atticus sounded compressed and flat with the Apex and did not do it any favors in terms of dynamics. The TH-X00 is a lot less picky. In fact the TH-X00 is one of the least picky headphones I have tried and everything I pugged it into was dynamic. 

It has been a while though and the TH-X00 may in fact be more dynamic, I do not know without having them both here...but when you use the words 'nowhere near' I definitely think it has to do with the amp pairing and would basically consider the Apex as solid state in regards to how it drives those high impedance cans if it is anything like the Sangaku(which replaced the Peak and Volcano). 

I know people keep saying that the Atticus should not be paired with a warm amp because it is dark. Then people may write off tube amps for the Atticus because they consider all tube amps dark. What you are after with the Atticus to hear it as 'intended' is driver control, responsiveness(micro and macro dynamics), and liveliness. A tube amp can 'wake' the Atticus up because it will have low damping and will sound less compressed and more reactive. The Atticus tuning begs to be 'waken up' by a dynamic amplifier and that's what tube amps usually are...dynamic. A tube swap on an amplifier that is transparent with tube rolling can 'open' up the Atticus and make it less dark if needed. 'Open up' vs 'Wake up' meaning two different things in this context.   

What is cool is that now there are a lot of tube amps that can have tight bass and while they still may sound less pristine and hifi'ish, they definitely sound more nuanced and lively with the right headphone...ehm...The Atticus.

The TH-X00 though is a particularly lively sounding headphone with a lower impedance. It is tough to beat in Macro dynamics. But the Atticus is still very dynamic to my ears.  

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #2,650 of 9,716

How much is it?

Possibly trading my Elear for it, but otherwise $725 with various quality tubes including the Sophia Princess.

Woo is an amp mfg I have not heard yet. The Wa6 is SET. I have heard that Woo is warm sounding in general. Another amp I want to hear the Atticus with is the Torpedo III. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,651 of 9,716
I'm very very sorry but I have tried 4 times to get rid of tubes amps to stick solid state but it ended up just waste of time and money. Sorry but ZMF headphones sound best with tube amps

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #2,654 of 9,716
  I tried the Atticus and Eikon on the Sangaku I had here for over a week and I did not like the synergy as much as I did with the Mogwai. Honestly the Atticus sounded compressed and flat with the Apex and did not do it any favors in terms of dynamics. The TH-X00 is a lot less picky. In fact the TH-X00 is one of the least picky headphones I have tried and everything I pugged it into was dynamic. 

Thanks a lot for reply, that's what I suspected. Time to replace the amp I guess...

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #2,655 of 9,716

Thanks a lot for reply, that's what I suspected. Time to replace the amp I guess...

I hope you mean a tube amp because while compared Decaware combo to the Milo Amp the difference was noticeable enough for me regardless of the cable used

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back