ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 9, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,581 of 9,763
Atticus is better to be paired with OTL Tube Amp

While it might benefit from an OTL Tube Amp, I really do not want to get into that just yet since it is impractical for my desired desk-setup and I would scared of breaking the tubes all the time. Don't get me wrong, I would certainly get an OTL eventually, but for now a Solid State Amp is my only way to go. Is a Solid State Amp that much worse with the Atticus or still a good option to have fun with these sweet cans?

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,582 of 9,763

While it might benefit from an OTL Tube Amp, I really do not want to get into that just yet since it is impractical for my desired desk-setup and I would scared of breaking the tubes all the time. Don't get me wrong, I would certainly get an OTL eventually, but for now a Solid State Amp is my only way to go. Is a Solid State Amp that much worse with the Atticus or still a good option to have fun with these sweet cans?

I actually tuned both these headphones primarily on an Audio GD master 11 so it should be pretty good.  I also test on a Decware Taboo and CSP and Cavalli Liquid Gold and Dragonfly (black) as well as testing out of my LG V10.    Between solid state and/or OTL it really comes down to taste, I've heard numerous different OTL's alone sound very different from the Atticus.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #2,583 of 9,763

I actually tuned both these headphones primarily on an Audio GD master 11 so it should be pretty good.  I also test on a Decware Taboo and CSP and Cavalli Liquid Gold and Dragonfly (black) as well as testing out of my LG V10.    Between solid state and/or OTL it really comes down to taste, I've heard numerous different OTL's alone sound very different from the Atticus.

That's what i thought/had hoped for. Thanks for clearing it up, Zach.
smile.gif

PS: When I saw you answering my post, I wanted to insert this :)https://i.imgur.com/etBsfke.jpg) picture, but I do not have that power, yet.
redface.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,584 of 9,763

That's what I thought/had hoped for. Thanks for clearing things up, Zach. 
smile.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #2,585 of 9,763

I've heard the Atticus on Zach's Master-11, IMO the synergy between the two is excellent. I think you'd be extremely happy with that combo, based on your earlier post.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #2,586 of 9,763
Off topic, forgive me, but only those here might be able to even come close to answering this question factually.

What IEM comes closest to the Eikon sound? My Sony XBA-A3s have been found... Lacking.

What's your budget?

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,587 of 9,763
What's your budget?

I just bought an Ori... so, cheap as I can get away with? lol

I don't mind saving up. Should be getting a nice refund from Uncle Sam, but some of it is spoken for already.

I guess the budget is whatever it has to be. (I'm hoping you're not going to say the Roxanne - I don't use IEMs enough to justify that purchase.) I just find it annoying that the IEMs I have sounds muddy flabby and unclear compared to my Eikon. If I could get a minimum tonal change between the two, my inner-audiophile-child would quit throwing tantrums.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #2,588 of 9,763
I just bought an Ori... so, cheap as I can get away with? lol

I don't mind saving up. Should be getting a nice refund from Uncle Sam, but some of it is spoken for already.

I guess the budget is whatever it has to be. (I'm hoping you're not going to say the Roxanne - I don't use IEMs enough to justify that purchase.) I just find it annoying that the IEMs I have sounds muddy flabby and unclear compared to my Eikon. If I could get a minimum tonal change between the two, my inner-audiophile-child would quit throwing tantrums.

You should try the 1 more triple driver.  Or on the more expensive side the Fidue Sirius is pretty great, I need to hear it again as I don't own it though.  The 1more (it's slightly u shaped I think) is probably the best bang for the dollar iem I've heard, although there are many great $100 and less iems these days.  I also really like the Noble stuff and the ALO stuff.  I haven't heard a lot of the other great iems from other companies enough to know.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,589 of 9,763
You should try the 1 more triple driver.  Or on the more expensive side the Fidue Sirius is pretty great, I need to hear it again as I don't own it though.  The 1more (it's slightly u shaped I think) is probably the best bang for the dollar iem I've heard, although there are many great $100 and less iems these days.  I also really like the Noble stuff and the ALO stuff.  I haven't heard a lot of the other great iems from other companies enough to know.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I really liked the 1More 3D after hearing it at RMAF. I thought that they sounded better than my Sonys, and at less than a 1/3rd of the price?! Yeah. I was indecisive on whether or not I should get one, and then the 4D came available for preorder which put me off on a final decision yet again. Waiting for more 4D reviews before I think I'll decide between those.

The Noble stuff is good. I didn't know if I should consider the Dulce Bass and EQ the bass down, or up the mids on a Trident. The CA Andromeda has been on my radar for a while. That is probably the max I'd spend on an IEM anyway, so long as it lasted a lifetime and the sound was perfect.

Who are these Fidue guys? That's a crazy design! I'll have to do my homework on those.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,590 of 9,763
I've heard the Atticus on Zach's Master-11, IMO the synergy between the two is excellent. I think you'd be extremely happy with that combo, based on your earlier post.

Thanks, that is comforting to hear. Now I merely need to safe up a bit more money and I am ready to go.
To anyone who has already ordered/received their pair, living in Europe (perhaps even Germany), how bad were the taxes?
ph34r.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #2,591 of 9,763
Thanks for the suggestions!

I really liked the 1More 3D after hearing it at RMAF. I thought that they sounded better than my Sonys, and at less than a 1/3rd of the price?! Yeah. I was indecisive on whether or not I should get one, and then the 4D came available for preorder which put me off on a final decision yet again. Waiting for more 4D reviews before I think I'll decide between those.

The Noble stuff is good. I didn't know if I should consider the Dulce Bass and EQ the bass down, or up the mids on a Trident. The CA Andromeda has been on my radar for a while. That is probably the max I'd spend on an IEM anyway, so long as it lasted a lifetime and the sound was perfect.

Who are these Fidue guys? That's a crazy design! I'll have to do my homework on those.

I have a review of the 1More Quad Driver coming up soon. Another one you should really check out is the Periodic Audio beryllium driver IEMs. They are super dynamic with very powerful bass response and are quite clear and resolving. That forceful "wall of sound" reminds me of the ZMFs.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,592 of 9,763
I have a review of the 1More Quad Driver coming up soon. Another one you should really check out is the Periodic Audio beryllium driver IEMs. They are super dynamic with very powerful bass response and are quite clear and resolving. That forceful "wall of sound" reminds me of the ZMFs.

Also eye for the new Echobox flagship, just wonder comparing to Periodic Be which one is closer to ZMF's sound.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #2,594 of 9,763
Would the Atticus or the Eikon compliment the HD800S best if I am after something with a warmer and bassier sound signature?

Both are warmer and bassier, so it depends on how far you want to go with that.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,595 of 9,763

I'll be honest, the OEM FR graphs provided for the Magnesium and Titanium frighten me. Those treble peaks... omg. The Beryllium looks good though! Any idea where I might be able to demo a set?

I'll stop the thread hijacking with this. PM me with thoughts please. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back