ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 16, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #2,148 of 9,716
Well UPS stopped last night....
o2smile.gif
.With just over a hour of use on the Eikon Cherry no impressions other than I went from a siemens tube (with a Crack no speedball yet) that I was using with HD-6XX to a Mullard to cut some of the top end off.Other than that all I will say is I'm more then happy to let them burn in as I listen.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #2,149 of 9,716
Slowly, slowly I am gathering what I consider to be a good, starter gear chain for my soon to be Eikon.  Certain parts I already have and am using and certain others have been purchased or are on order.  Based on what I have read the synergy between all of these pieces should be very nice and it really helps me look forward to the completion and arrival of the Eikon even more.  The only upgrades I might chase after this would be to go to a fully balanced DAC and amp but to start with, this is what I will be using.

DAC - Modi Multibit
Amp - Lyr 2 w/ 1975 HG Reflektor Silver Shield (SWGP)  <--- * I call these magic tubes!*
Singxer SU-1 XMOS (USB / SPDIF converter)
Furman PL8C advanced level power conditioner (I dont expect this to have sonic benefits but I got it cheap and the power outlets are super convenient and well protected).

Source files will be coming from a Windows 10 machine I built and will be a combination of ALAC/Flac and Tidal for streaming.  Needless to say I am very excited to hear it all.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #2,150 of 9,716
I am getting excited too! My Metrum Musette is out for delivery, my Wells Audio Milo is scheduled for Monday delivery and my Atticus / Eikon headphones are in the top 11 on the spreadsheet burning in.

Soon, I will be able to listen to sweet music from my FLAC files and Foobar2000 while on my Windows 10 homebuilt computer.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #2,151 of 9,716
Slowly, slowly I am gathering what I consider to be a good, starter gear chain for my soon to be Eikon.  Certain parts I already have and am using and certain others have been purchased or are on order.  Based on what I have read the synergy between all of these pieces should be very nice and it really helps me look forward to the completion and arrival of the Eikon even more.  The only upgrades I might chase after this would be to go to a fully balanced DAC and amp but to start with, this is what I will be using.

DAC - Modi Multibit
Amp - Lyr 2 w/ 1975 HG Reflektor Silver Shield (SWGP)  <--- * I call these magic tubes!*
Singxer SU-1 XMOS (USB / SPDIF converter)
Furman PL8C advanced level power conditioner (I dont expect this to have sonic benefits but I got it cheap and the power outlets are super convenient and well protected).

Source files will be coming from a Windows 10 machine I built and will be a combination of ALAC/Flac and Tidal for streaming.  Needless to say I am very excited to hear it all.

Sounds great! You are in for a treat.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #2,152 of 9,716
Just a quick note on some initial experimentation for what it's worth: I agree about the Eikon sensitivity to amp variations. I like them much more on a pure OTL amp with some warm/mellow tubes. Smoother up top, fuller-bodied, more balanced sound to my ears, and still detailed and engaging. Really digging them now...

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,153 of 9,716
Definitely burn them in hard too.  150-200 hrs helps any shimmer and out of the box "edge."  I prefer pink noise and death-metal and/or EDM at the same time. 

Getting to emails and PM's shortly.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #2,154 of 9,716
  Just a quick note on some initial experimentation for what it's worth: I agree about the Eikon sensitivity to amp variations. I like them much more on a pure OTL amp with some warm/mellow tubes. Smoother up top, fuller-bodied, more balanced sound to my ears, and still detailed and engaging. Really digging them now...

Good news 
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #2,155 of 9,716
Definitely burn them in hard too.  150-200 hrs helps any shimmer and out of the box "edge."  I prefer pink noise and death-metal and/or EDM at the same time. 

Getting to emails and PM's shortly.

Thanks! I will burn both in on the Milo at the same time since I read it can easily handle two headphones.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #2,156 of 9,716
I am getting excited too! My Metrum Musette is out for delivery, my Wells Audio Milo is scheduled for Monday delivery and my Atticus / Eikon headphones are in the top 11 on the spreadsheet burning in.

Soon, I will be able to listen to sweet music from my FLAC files and Foobar2000 while on my Windows 10 homebuilt computer.

I would recommend you to try Amara 4 for Windows instead of Foobar

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,157 of 9,716

Foobar2000 is free and Amarra 4 is $50. What benefits does it have over Foobar2000 for the money?

It does look nice though, so I will maybe try the free trial.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #2,158 of 9,716

Foobar2000 is free and Amarra 4 is $50. What benefits does it have over Foobar2000 for the money?

It does look nice though, so I will maybe try the free trial.

I was using Foobar for ages but with my setup using ASIO mode Amara gives significant sound quality difference revealing every little detail, strength and/or weakness of your setup and recording you are playing

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,159 of 9,716
I was using Foobar for ages but with my setup using ASIO mode Amara gives significant sound quality difference revealing every little detail, strength and/or weakness of your setup and recording you are playing

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the foobar sound. I a/b'd it and JRiverMC and MC beat it hands down.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,160 of 9,716
E&A update. The boys were put into action yesterday ... after initial listening with Mumby & Liquid Carbon (balanced) ... it seemed like E was closer to being burned in .. so I left it playing all night ... like 12 hours .. sounding better when I got up this morning.

I started breaking in the A when I got home from work today... listening now for a few hours ... sounding better ... still a bit 'shoutty' on high gain ... better on low gain ... well at least I think so

I have to say I've got a small head ... I had to adjust things down all the way ... eventually I'm going to locate plastic bushings or something to keep things in the perfect spot ... going to try switching to Ori pads like Zach mentioned .. anyone try that yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back