ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,117 of 9,716
Would the Mjolnir 2 be a good choice for my first tube amp (of course using it with the A or E)?

Currently have:
Magni 2 Uber
Liquid Carbon
Mumby
Gumby

Hoping to get the new Chord 2Qute later this year once it is available.

I currently own the MJ2 and absolutely love it with all of my headphones and iems. I must caution you though, fine tuning and sound shaping via tubes can be addictive. I also agree with Schitt's philosophy as I do with ZMFs, so it should make a perfect pairing. I should be recieving my Eikon's in the next couple of weeks.

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,118 of 9,716
Would the Mjolnir 2 be a good choice for my first tube amp (of course using it with the A or E)?

Currently have:
Magni 2 Uber
Liquid Carbon
Mumby
Gumby

The Liquid Carbon is going to be pretty solid, I think.  For tubes, I wouldn't overlook DecWare, if you are shopping tube amps.  They sound really great and look as good as they sound.  It is also worth noting that zach likes them and probably used them while making the new headphones.  The only downside, is they are probably not great with low impedance cans, if you care.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #2,121 of 9,716
Has anyone tried the Eikon with a Jotunheim amp? 

I was pretty curious about that combo as well....

I run mine from my Jot. (4 pin XLR) It's clean, neutral, and sounds fantastic. The staging isn't as wide as I have heard from other amps, but that is my only nitpick. My Elise goes wider, but the tone from my Elise doesn't match up well with the Eikon.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2,122 of 9,716
I run mine from my Jot. (4 pin XLR) It's clean, neutral, and sounds fantastic. The staging isn't as wide as I have heard from other amps, but that is my only nitpick. My Elise goes wider, but the tone from my Elise doesn't match up well with the Eikon.

Hi Prof

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? What did you not like about the Elise-Eikon pairing?

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2,123 of 9,716

Currently have:
Magni 2 Uber
Liquid Carbon
Mumby
Gumby

Yes, a very slamming, authoritative, and fairly resolving amp.  Very versatile, with it's high power output and low OI.  I had it for over a year with Gumby, it was a great amp to own when trying lots of different headphones. Treble can be a little peaky, especially with stock tubes, but can certainly be rolled away to be more laid back and smooth.  Suffers in stage depth a little bit, but not a big deal, width is pretty decent

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #2,124 of 9,716
Hi Prof

Can you elaborate on your last sentence? What did you not like about the Elise-Eikon pairing?

The Elise kind of rolled off the subbass and the added a gooey sound (aka tube warmth) that made it sound... Off. Not sure how to describe it.

On the Jotunheim the mids and vocals just pop, everything sounds coherent, and it's a really good experience. But on the Elsie it was like hearing it through a veil. Not hollow, but lacking some definition and texture. The tone changed a little bit as well. I rolled 3 sets of tubes through to get a better sound, and couldn't find anything I liked. I think the Elise paired with my HD650 just fine. Some tubes were to bright, some added warmth and space, but not so much on the Eikon.

I hope that made sense.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,125 of 9,716

Thanks for that...I'm thinking the Jot is a good place to start. The soundstage could probably be addressed with a DAC upgrade...

Decisions, decisions...

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #2,126 of 9,716
Thanks for that...I'm thinking the Jot is a good place to start. The soundstage could probably be addressed with a DAC upgrade...

Decisions, decisions...

Welcome. My experience with the Jotunheim has been positive on all fronts.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #2,127 of 9,716
The Elise kind of rolled off the subbass and the added a gooey sound (aka tube warmth) that made it sound... Off. Not sure how to describe it.

On the Jotunheim the mids and vocals just pop, everything sounds coherent, and it's a really good experience. But on the Elsie it was like hearing it through a veil. Not hollow, but lacking some definition and texture. The tone changed a little bit as well. I rolled 3 sets of tubes through to get a better sound, and couldn't find anything I liked. I think the Elise paired with my HD650 just fine. Some tubes were to bright, some added warmth and space, but not so much on the Eikon.

I hope that made sense.

Thanks, I think I understand what you mean.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #2,128 of 9,716

Currently have:
Magni 2 Uber
Liquid Carbon
Mumby
Gumby

The Mjol 2 is a great hybrid to own if your amping high Z dynamics and planars. Can roll some cheap tubes depending on taste.

Don't bother with the Chord, you already got a Gumby.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,129 of 9,716
Both my Eikon and Atticus arrived yesterday, on Valentine's Day. Thanks Zach! Lol.

First impressions: Love the storage/travel cases! Headphones are not as heavy as I was expecting. Fit and finish are great. Sound: Wonderful. But so far I actually prefer the Atticus over the Eikon, at least on some of the music/recordings I was listening to. Agree with overall descriptions of differences between the two so far. Very initial impression though. Looking forward to getting to know them... 

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,130 of 9,716
  Both my Eikon and Atticus arrived yesterday, on Valentine's Day. Thanks Zach! Lol.

First impressions: Love the storage/travel cases! Headphones are not as heavy as I was expecting. Fit and finish are great. Sound: Wonderful. But so far I actually prefer the Atticus over the Eikon, at least on some of the music/recordings I was listening to. Agree with overall descriptions of differences between the two so far. Very initial impression though. Looking forward to getting to know them... 

Niceeeee!!!!  Glad they arrived safe. 

What's your setup?  Sorry if this was covered here already. (or I guess which Woo are you using primarily?)

Also let me know when you guys have another head-fi meet, I'd love to come up to Montrael.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back