ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,876 of 9,714
  I just received shipping confirmation on my order!   YAY!   Thanks Zach!

beerchug.gif

Same here! Pretty excited to hear my Eikon!

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #1,878 of 9,714
More names came off the list, so I am now in the next 18! Here is to hoping everyone ahead of me gets shipped really soon. :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,880 of 9,714
Great ... I'm 13th on the list ... my birthday is towards the end on February... so I might me getting an early gift in the mail

My birthday is early February, so I may get it on my birthday or afterward.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #1,881 of 9,714
Me: Boss, I'm taking Wednesday off. Have to sign for a package and get some personal things done.

Boss: Package? What did you order?

Me: Headphones.

Boss: Headphones? If you needed headphones, you should have asked me. I have a few extra apple earbuds.

Me: ...

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #1,882 of 9,714
Me: Boss, I'm taking Wednesday off. Have to sign for a package and get some personal things done.

Boss: Package? What did you order?

Me: Headphones.

Boss: Headphones? If you needed headphones, you should have asked me. I have a few extra apple earbuds.

Me: ...

I ordered a Musette from ZMF and asked that it be shipped with the headphones. That way, I can specify a Friday for delivery and take the day off. I am out of town the first four days, which is why I would tell UPS to deliver on Friday. That only works if they ship soon enough to get it on the specific Friday. I do not see them shipping to arrive the week before I am out of town.

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,883 of 9,714
My Eikon finally arrived. I haven't been this impressed with a headphone since I heard a well driven HE-6 or a well matched HD800 system. While I wouldn't quite rate it at the level of those two, the resolution and tonality are still phenomenal. The quality of the finish is the best I've seen from Zach yet, and it feels very solid while weighing much less than Zach's initial estimates. I'd guess around or slightly under 500g. I've been using it with an NFB11 after my attempt to downsize. The Eikon reveals gears exceptionally well and its taunting me to upgrade. That's a good thing from a technical standpoint, but not financial. Do note that due to the swivel and heavy cups the Eikon is like a small child. It wants to kill itself at every opportunity so be careful with handling it. Its a slippery (not-so) little guy.

Quick impressions (subject to change):
The overall tone is neutral leaning, but slightly U-shaped I'd say. Very much not your usual ZMF.

There is a bass hump and the bass extends to around 30hz before rolling off at all. The bass is clean enough and the transition from bass hump to lower mids is sharp enough that I don't detect much bass bleed if at all. The bass is boosted just enough that a bass guitar low in the mix can be obscured a little bit, but its not a major complaint yet. I will say the Eikon has the same bass feeling of "shock and awe" I get from the HE-6, though it distinctly has its own texture that is unlike planar bass. On lean tracks the Eikon is lean, and on bombastic tracks the Eikon is a weapon. No intrusive boosting or coloration in the bass from what I can tell. The bass doesn't quite slam like the HD800 and its not quite as well integrated as the HE-6's bass, but it is extremely clean and satisfying.

The midrange is clean and very detailed. It might be ever so slightly recessed, perhaps ~1-2dB between ~300-800hz (rough estimate) which can make vocal take a slight step back. The upper mids are forward, but not glaring or fatiguing. Reminiscent of the HD650/HD580 upper mids, but cleaner and without grain. Great separation and tonality in the midrange which is what makes or breaks most headphones for me.

The treble is new territory for ZMF. I'd describe the treble as slightly north of neutral. Not a bright headphone, but with a brightness and sparkle to it. There is likely a dip somewhere in the cymbal region (which doesn't make sense since the region is broad :confused:) as I find that cymbals are much more balanced and unobtrusive for the overall treble presence that the headphone has. I never found the treble fatiguing, but I'm not stranger to enjoying bright headphones.

Soundstage is solidly intimate, but imaging is excellent. Detail and dynamics are extremely impressive, and I'd say just a step below the greats like the HD800 and HE-6 but above that of the LCD-2/3/x/4 HE-560 and HD6xx.

If the Eikon were open back, it would be worth $1300. Since it isolates very well I'd say it is a peerless closed back headphone and an astounding accomplishment.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #1,884 of 9,714
Listening to the production version of the Eikon this weekend, it is clearly and easily better than the preproduction version I reviewed.

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #1,886 of 9,714
My Eikon finally arrived. I haven't been this impressed with a headphone since I heard a well driven HE-6 or a well matched HD800 system. While I wouldn't quite rate it at the level of those two, the resolution and tonality are still phenomenal. The quality of the finish is the best I've seen from Zach yet, and it feels very solid while weighing much less than Zach's initial estimates. I'd guess around or slightly under 500g. I've been using it with an NFB11 after my attempt to downsize. The Eikon reveals gears exceptionally well and its taunting me to upgrade. That's a good thing from a technical standpoint, but not financial. Do note that due to the swivel and heavy cups the Eikon is like a small child. It wants to kill itself at every opportunity so be careful with handling it. Its a slippery (not-so) little guy.

Quick impressions (subject to change):
The overall tone is neutral leaning, but slightly U-shaped I'd say. Very much not your usual ZMF.

There is a bass hump and the bass extends to around 30hz before rolling off at all. The bass is clean enough and the transition from bass hump to lower mids is sharp enough that I don't detect much bass bleed if at all. The bass is boosted just enough that a bass guitar low in the mix can be obscured a little bit, but its not a major complaint yet. I will say the Eikon has the same bass feeling of "shock and awe" I get from the HE-6, though it distinctly has its own texture that is unlike planar bass. On lean tracks the Eikon is lean, and on bombastic tracks the Eikon is a weapon. No intrusive boosting or coloration in the bass from what I can tell. The bass doesn't quite slam like the HD800 and its not quite as well integrated as the HE-6's bass, but it is extremely clean and satisfying.

The midrange is clean and very detailed. It might be ever so slightly recessed, perhaps ~1-2dB between ~300-800hz (rough estimate) which can make vocal take a slight step back. The upper mids are forward, but not glaring or fatiguing. Reminiscent of the HD650/HD580 upper mids, but cleaner and without grain. Great separation and tonality in the midrange which is what makes or breaks most headphones for me.

The treble is new territory for ZMF. I'd describe the treble as slightly north of neutral. Not a bright headphone, but with a brightness and sparkle to it. There is likely a dip somewhere in the cymbal region (which doesn't make sense since the region is broad
confused.gif
) as I find that cymbals are much more balanced and unobtrusive for the overall treble presence that the headphone has. I never found the treble fatiguing, but I'm not stranger to enjoying bright headphones.

Soundstage is solidly intimate, but imaging is excellent. Detail and dynamics are extremely impressive, and I'd say just a step below the greats like the HD800 and HE-6 but above that of the LCD-2/3/x/4 HE-560 and HD6xx.

If the Eikon were open back, it would be worth $1300. Since it isolates very well I'd say it is a peerless closed back headphone and an astounding accomplishment.

Fantastic description, man, thanks, can't wait to hear them.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,888 of 9,714
I was able to hear both Atticus and Eikon at the Chicago meet yesterday (and took my Eikon home!), here are my quick thoughts...

ZMF Atticus- This sounds like how a hot dog in a pigs-in-a-blanket feels:  It's ensconced in a warm and gooey pastry blanket. Way too much midbass/lower midrange emphasis for me, but I could see why others would like it. Only amp I could get into it with was the Cavalli Liquid Gold, but it still too much warmth. Upper midrange was very even and pleasing, with a nice gentle rolloff throughout the treble. 

ZMF Eikon- I was thinking this all throughout the meet, but needed this morning to confirm. Best full-sized closed cans I've ever heard. Pretty sure that's not owner's bias. Bass is deep extending, kicks hard, doesn't bleed into mids, and is a tasteful bit raised above "neutral".  Midrange is nice and present, without being overly forward, good detail and nice character with a gentle decay. Staging is very wide and deep for a closed, and even kinda good for an open back. Treble provides good detail and air, and sounds slightly elavatated. I think there's just a touch of peakiness somewhere up there, but not enough to even be certain yet.

It was really awesome to meet and talk with Zach, and hear these out of a lot of different setups.  Worth noting:  I went this whole time thinking the Cherry was the deep red wood, but actually that's Padauk. Cherry is the lighter wood. IDK how I got that confused but whatever, I ordered based on wood density anyway. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #1,889 of 9,714
I was able to hear both Atticus and Eikon at the Chicago meet yesterday (and took my Eikon home!), here are my quick thoughts...

ZMF Atticus- This sounds like how a hot dog in a pigs-in-a-blanket feels:  It's ensconced in a warm and gooey pastry blanket. Way too much midbass/lower midrange emphasis for me, but I could see why others would like it. Only amp I could get into it with was the Cavalli Liquid Gold, but it still too much warmth. Upper midrange was very even and pleasing, with a nice gentle rolloff throughout the treble. 

ZMF Eikon- I was thinking this all throughout the meet, but needed this morning to confirm. Best full-sized closed cans I've ever heard. Pretty sure that's not owner's bias. Bass is deep extending, kicks hard, doesn't bleed into mids, and is a tasteful bit raised above "neutral".  Midrange is nice and present, without being overly forward, good detail and nice character with a gentle decay. Staging is very wide and deep for a closed, and even kinda good for an open back. Treble provides good detail and air, and sounds slightly elavatated. I think there's just a touch of peakiness somewhere up there, but not enough to even be certain yet.

It was really awesome to meet and talk with Zach, and hear these out of a lot of different setups.  Worth noting:  I went this whole time thinking the Cherry was the deep red wood, but actually that's Padauk. Cherry is the lighter wood. IDK how I got that confused but whatever, I ordered based on wood density anyway. 

Which wood is your Eikon Pooch?

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,890 of 9,714
 Worth noting:  I went this whole time thinking the Cherry was the deep red wood, but actually that's Padauk. Cherry is the lighter wood. IDK how I got that confused but whatever, I ordered based on wood density anyway. 

Pretty sure it's my fault for not labeling them.  Ima get on that lol!!!  =(

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back