ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 6, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,051 of 9,716
beginning to wonder if I should have ordered the Atticus instead. I messaged Zach earlier in the release and gave him a sense of what I listened to and he suggested the eikon so I'm going to stick to it I suppose.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #1,052 of 9,716
beginning to wonder if I should have ordered the Atticus instead. I messaged Zach earlier in the release and gave him a sense of what I listened to and he suggested the eikon so I'm going to stick to it I suppose.

You could always add the Atticus to your order. He will give the extra $150 discount along with a $5 discount for shipping (two is cheaper to ship together than individually).

You can likely recoup most of the money back if you sell one after prices go up to the full retail price.

I ordered both and am glad about it.

Dec 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,053 of 9,716

I'm glad I got both.  I have 2 different use cases, so it works out well.  At work I'm jamming to edm and rock to kind of keep the tempo up and the workflow cranking (Atticus), and at home I'm usually chilling with more vocal centric stuff (Eikon).  Ifi iCan SE at work, Feliks Elise / Jotunheim at home.  Think I've got the bases covered!  

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,054 of 9,716
Don't have the money to do both. I'm considering going to canjam ny so I'll be able to listen to Atticus there hopefully. I'm going to stick with the eikon for now. Don't want to bother Zach

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,058 of 9,716
I wrote some **** I decided to erase and send in a personal message lol. I'm bored and it seemed like fun to let the thumbs meander but it was to much :joy:

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #1,059 of 9,716
I wrote some **** I decided to erase and send in a personal message lol. I'm bored and it seemed like fun to let the thumbs meander but it was to much :joy:

Awwww! I was in the perfect mood to read **** too. :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,061 of 9,716
Well, usually I'd say flat but recently got my wife a pair of B&w p7's and am very much enjoying the elevated bass response of them but they're too aggressive in the highs. i used to have a pair of he-400's and they too hurt my ears due to what I think was a mixture of peaks but also just plain and simply A LOT of sound or body in the highs. So I'm picky because I can't do veiled highs. I love a high pitched violin and veiled equals broken heart. But I also like good dynamics but seem to be sensitive to it. I've found in the past that the further away a driver is from my ears the better. I'm also sensitive to upper midrange peaks. The he-560 sounds great except for the upper midrange. As soon as I put the headphone on I have to take it off.
As far as attributes aside from FR, I mainly picked the eikon because of the black background description. I'm a closed back headphone kind of guy through and through. sure the black background allows your brain to distinguish separation between the layers but also the way sound initially emits from no where ( as in no ambient sound, no environment, just a dark cavernous deep void) my brain adapts to it almost as if it were inner speech, not a transducer replaying me sounds. Of course this surreal acitivity is suppressed if there's any unnaturaral timbres or suckouts that standout in vocals. At this point my actual inner voice prevails and keeping on track is more like homework than enjoying the music. ive heard resonance implemented well into closed headphones and all due respect ✊ to the way it is implemented but generally adds extra body through the whole spectrum and stitches songs instruments and vocals closer to one another causing there to be less of the blacker background I love. I still very much enjoy this sound but it's not what I'm looking for in this particular purchase. Another thing I appreciate is size and amount of body. If the sound as a whole or even the mid image is smaller than my brains normal inner voice then it's to weak to step into the ring. However, the opposite, a large fully developed sound and I'm fully submissive.
P.s. I really love electronic trance

He told me the eikon with Ori pads is exactly what I want.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #1,062 of 9,716
Well, usually I'd say flat but recently got my wife a pair of B&w p7's and am very much enjoying the elevated bass response of them but they're too aggressive in the highs. i used to have a pair of he-400's and they too hurt my ears due to what I think was a mixture of peaks but also just plain and simply A LOT of sound or body in the highs. So I'm picky because I can't do veiled highs. I love a high pitched violin and veiled equals broken heart. But I also like good dynamics but seem to be sensitive to it. I've found in the past that the further away a driver is from my ears the better. I'm also sensitive to upper midrange peaks. The he-560 sounds great except for the upper midrange. As soon as I put the headphone on I have to take it off.

So you want a bit of extra bass, neutral or slightly forward treble, and smooth upper mids? Why did the HE-560's upper midrange turn you away? Too much? Too little?

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,063 of 9,716
Wouldn't say elevated treble. Natural timbre without peaks. The he560 upper midrange really just seamed shouty to my ears. controlled but it was elevated and seemed like it was attacking my ears. Just too dynamic for how close the driver sits to the ear.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,064 of 9,716
Wouldn't say elevated treble. Natural timbre without peaks. The he560 upper midrange really just seamed shouty to my ears. controlled but it was elevated and seemed like it was attacking my ears. Just too dynamic for how close the driver sits to the ear.

Well the HE-560 has a pretty forward 3k-4khz frequency response, so that makes sense. I'd wonder about the Atticus which is supposed to have a more relaxed upper midrange than the Eikon. I've heard that the Atticus has a similarly "recessed" upper midrange to the HD800 which seems right up your alley.

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,065 of 9,716
I had a pair of original he400 planars that attacked my ears similarly and I mod the pads so they pushed the driver away from my ears more and it really helped. I'd bet I'll, be fine with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back