ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 29, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #6,871 of 9,714
Yes, rather shocking. Would love to hear some technical explanation as to why because it was quite unexpected. I demoed them on a Feliks amp with PS Audio DAC which also sounded very good.

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #6,872 of 9,714
Yes, rather shocking. Would love to hear some technical explanation as to why because it was quite unexpected. I demoed them on a Feliks amp with PS Audio DAC which also sounded very good.
my guess is synergy more than anything. i prefer the Atticus on neutral or slightly bright gear (which is where i'd put the DFR signature) vs darker gear (where i'd put the mjolnir/gungnir mb).

Mar 29, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #6,873 of 9,714
I completely agree with that assessment and conclusion.

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #6,874 of 9,714
While on the topic of amps, I just picked up a used Arcam rhead and am thoroughly enjoying the pairing with my Atticus. The rhead is said to be slightly warm of neutral, and is the only solid state amp I own so can't confirm. All I know is I prefer it to my Loxjie P20 tube amp with the Atticus.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #6,875 of 9,714
While on the topic of amps, I just picked up a used Arcam rhead and am thoroughly enjoying the pairing with my Atticus. The rhead is said to be slightly warm of neutral, and is the only solid state amp I own so can't confirm. All I know is I prefer it to my Loxjie P20 tube amp with the Atticus.
Nice! I've been looking for an rhead on the cheap for awhile now as I've heard it's exceptional with the hd650. Do you feel it has enough power for the Atticus?

Mar 29, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #6,876 of 9,714
@erics75 I do, but I haven't had much time with it yet. It just sounds much more dynamic and punchy than the P20. I was drawn to the rhead based on the reported good pairing with the 650 and reading that generally, any amp with good synergy with them should be a decent match with the Atticus. I believe there is at least one for sale now in the classifieds.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #6,877 of 9,714
The Schiit Mojlnir 2 and Jotunheim. The Dragonfly Red romped all over them with the Atticus. My Audeze and Focals, by contrast, are much better with the Schiit amps than Dragonfly. A bit of a mystery as to why the Atticus matches so well with the Dragonfly.

Do you have a Mojo? I demoed the DFR, and it sounded great, but Mojo was even better imo.

Also some people rave about Atticus with Valhalla and Lyr, so it comes down to taste.

Mar 29, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #6,878 of 9,714
Do you have a Mojo? I demoed the DFR, and it sounded great, but Mojo was even better imo.

Also some people rave about Atticus with Valhalla and Lyr, so it comes down to taste.

Yeah, I thought about trying a Valhalla, but am quite pleased with the rhead for now.

Mar 29, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #6,879 of 9,714

I don't have the Mojo, but will probably be picking up one in the next few weeks to use as my new portable amp/dac. My guess is that the Atticus will sound great with it.

As for the Valhalla and Lyr .. if the Mojlnir 2 and Jotunheim don't pair well with the Atticus, I'm not sure the Valhalla or Lyr will do well. I live close to the Schiiter store which I visit occasionally, so will take my Atticus next time to try with those 2 amps and report back.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #6,880 of 9,714
I've used the Atticus with my Schiit Mojlnir 2 amp with Gungnir DAC, Schiit Jotunheim multi-bit amp/dac and DragonFly Red and was shocked to discover that they sound far, far better with my DFR than the more powerful and expensive Schiit amp/dacs. They don't match well with the Schiit amps and match very well with the DFR.

I think you should send me your Dragonfly so I can confirm your findings.

Mar 29, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #6,881 of 9,714
Maybe I should do that. :)

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #6,882 of 9,714
Atticus is extremely picky with amps, almost more so than any other headphones I've heard. However, one you get that synergy locked... :astonished:

Myself and several other people have discovered the Atticus often pairs up wonderfully with amps that have a warmer midrange. You wouldn't necessarily think it would considering it's warmer, mid-bass boosted signature, but it does. Cavalli amps seem to pair well in general, and tube amps (especially OTL's) can take it to the next level.

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #6,883 of 9,714
Atticus is extremely picky with amps, almost more so than any other headphones I've heard. However, one you get that synergy locked... :astonished:

Myself and several other people have discovered the Atticus often pairs up wonderfully with amps that have a warmer midrange. You wouldn't necessarily think it would considering it's warmer, mid-bass boosted signature, but it does. Cavalli amps seem to pair well in general, and tube amps (especially OTL's) can take it to the next level.

On paper .. I would agree with you 100% which is why ... when I bought the Atticus ... I thought it would pair up nicely with my Mojlnir 2 tube amp. It didn't and the Dragonfly Red which I wouldn't say has a warm mid-range paired beautifully. It was the opposite of what I expected. Still somewhat scratching my head over the significant differences, but as you initially said .. I too think the Atticus are quite picky with amps.

Mar 30, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #6,885 of 9,714
Perhaps we need to create a list of amps providing good synergy with the Atticus, given that it is said to be rather picky.

Glenn OTL
Glenn EL3N
GS-X mk2

All of these are great with the Atticus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back