ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #6,826 of 9,714
For someone who prefers rock music, which ZMF offering would provide the best portrayal of male vocals? If I had to prioritize the frequencies most important to me, it would be mids, lows, highs. I think the general ZMF house sound will be to my liking, but wondering if the Atticus, Eikon, or maybe the new Aeolus would suit me best? I am basically looking for something that wil be a good complement to the Elex I currently have, which can be a little too detailed and fatiguing at times. Thanks!
i can only comment on the atticus and eikon, as i owned both (still have the atticus). i also listen mainly to rock/metal. first things first, both are exceptional for rock, and just plain exceptional in general. obviously i still have the atticus so that was my personal favorite, but i'll try to explain why, and my mindset, so you can see how my preferences compare to yours.

i'm slightly averse to peaks in the 4-5k frequency region. imo this range is what really separates the the atticus and eikon. the eikon has more extension here, whereas the atticus is very flat (but not recessed or boring). so when listening to rock, i found myself fatiguing more at my preferred volume levels with the eikon, especially on more poorly recorded material with lots of wailing guitars (megadeth is a good example, it's mastered too hot). it's by no means a big spike like the 6k spike on the hd800, but when going back and forth between the two, i just got tired faster or turned the volume down a touch with the eikons. also, i found the atticus liked my amps more than the eikon did. and both headphones are picky about amplification, and seem to differ in what they like.

as for the basic sonic differences beyond the midrange i specified above, the atticus is warmer and thicker sounding. the midbass punch is visceral. the eikons also have tremendous midbass punch as well, but in direct comparison, it's more linear and neutral. but it counters with more subbass rumble. if your music digs down into the super low frequencies, the eikon is more entertaining. the atticus also digs deep, but again, in direct comparison, its not as strong down super low. my personal preference was the atticus' midbass punch, as my favorite music tends to have the most bass in the midrange, not the subbass. i use david bowie - starman as a great example for comparison. as the track starts the drums kick in after a few seconds, and just slam with authority on the atticus. it's almost startling how hard they punch your eardums here. the eikon in contrast is slightly more reserved here. it's still impactful and satisfying, but it's more reserved, more neutral. keep in mind this is when comparing the atticus and eikon. if you compare the eikon's performance here vs many other totl headphones, it's going to outpunch them (ex hd800, clear, utopia, lcd3). zeplin has some epic drumming as well, and the atticus just makes it more realistic, imo. when you hear a live drummer, it's a visceral experience. you feel the soundwaves hitting you. headphones cant give you that exact experience, but the atticus is the closest i've heard so for to live rock drums. you dont feel it in your chest, but your eardrums sure do feel the pressure!

up top the eikon and atticus are more alike than different, imo. the atticus is softer, with slightly more rolloff, but it's not dramatic. the eikon has an airier presentation overall. it feels less congested or thick. they're both surprisingly detailed up top. not hd800 detailed, but imo that set is a bit TOO detailed. i still have one, but i only use it for very very specific circumstances. higher pitch male voices like robert plant, axl rose, bruce dickinson, dave mustaine have more extension and authority on the eikon. the atticus is softer, though fine detail seems to be about the same. you just have to focus a bit more with the atticus since it presents more softly/less forward.

all in all they're both really great headphones for rock, you just need to determine with signature suites you best. do you like a slightly more neutral sound with more balance from top to bottom (eikon), or do you like a more mid focused sound with extra warmth (atticus)?

as for amps, i became very frustrated that they seem to have opposite amp preferences. the atticus really liked the violectric v100 and rs-08 i was using that the time. those are very neutral solid state amps with incredible dynamic range. the neutrality of the amps complimented the warmer atticus quite nicely. the eikon was a touch shouty in comparison. but!.... using my friend's woo wa3 and other tube amp i'm currently drawing a gigantic blank on, the eikon shined far more than the atticus. the warmth of the tube amps (And both were of the warm/syrupy/tubey variety) seemed to compliment the more neutral eikon better. the atticus in comparison was just too thick sounding, it was way too much of a good thing for these ears.

that's my book, now i must work :frowning2: i'll end with this though, both are excellent. i cant stress that enough. and they both carry the house zmf sound with aplomb. i honestly would buy based on best price and wood available, if i had to do it all over again. i'd just change amps depending on which model i chose.

edit - i heard the elear, not the elex, but the elear was VERY different sounding from both the atticus and eikon. the elear was more strident and metallic sounding up top, and the mids were too far back for my tastes. both the atticus and eikon are a true upgrade, imo.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #6,827 of 9,714
that's my book, now i must work :frowning2: i'll end with this though, both are excellent. i cant stress that enough. and they both carry the house zmf sound with aplomb. i honestly would buy based on best price and wood available, if i had to do it all over again. i'd just change amps depending on which model i chose.

edit - i heard the elear, not the elex, but the elear was VERY different sounding from both the atticus and eikon. the elear was more strident and metallic sounding up top, and the mids were too far back for my tastes. both the atticus and eikon are a true upgrade, imo.

Thanks so much for the extremely thorough response! I'm sure I would be happy with either, and because cost is a big deal to me since I'd really be stretching my budget as it is, it makes sense to get the most affordable option. Thanks again!

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #6,828 of 9,714
@jaker782 If you like the Elex, I think you'd be more comfortable with the Verite, Eikon, or Auteur and still get that male vocal + mid range sound you're looking for.

Also, your shift key appears to be broken.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #6,829 of 9,714
i can only comment on the atticus and eikon, as i owned both (still have the atticus). i also listen mainly to rock/metal. first things first, both are exceptional for rock, and just plain exceptional in general. obviously i still have the atticus so that was my personal favorite, but i'll try to explain why, and my mindset, so you can see how my preferences compare to yours.

i'm slightly averse to peaks in the 4-5k frequency region. imo this range is what really separates the the atticus and eikon. the eikon has more extension here, whereas the atticus is very flat (but not recessed or boring). so when listening to rock, i found myself fatiguing more at my preferred volume levels with the eikon, especially on more poorly recorded material with lots of wailing guitars (megadeth is a good example, it's mastered too hot). it's by no means a big spike like the 6k spike on the hd800, but when going back and forth between the two, i just got tired faster or turned the volume down a touch with the eikons. also, i found the atticus liked my amps more than the eikon did. and both headphones are picky about amplification, and seem to differ in what they like.

as for the basic sonic differences beyond the midrange i specified above, the atticus is warmer and thicker sounding. the midbass punch is visceral. the eikons also have tremendous midbass punch as well, but in direct comparison, it's more linear and neutral. but it counters with more subbass rumble. if your music digs down into the super low frequencies, the eikon is more entertaining. the atticus also digs deep, but again, in direct comparison, its not as strong down super low. my personal preference was the atticus' midbass punch, as my favorite music tends to have the most bass in the midrange, not the subbass. i use david bowie - starman as a great example for comparison. as the track starts the drums kick in after a few seconds, and just slam with authority on the atticus. it's almost startling how hard they punch your eardums here. the eikon in contrast is slightly more reserved here. it's still impactful and satisfying, but it's more reserved, more neutral. keep in mind this is when comparing the atticus and eikon. if you compare the eikon's performance here vs many other totl headphones, it's going to outpunch them (ex hd800, clear, utopia, lcd3). zeplin has some epic drumming as well, and the atticus just makes it more realistic, imo. when you hear a live drummer, it's a visceral experience. you feel the soundwaves hitting you. headphones cant give you that exact experience, but the atticus is the closest i've heard so for to live rock drums. you dont feel it in your chest, but your eardrums sure do feel the pressure!

up top the eikon and atticus are more alike than different, imo. the atticus is softer, with slightly more rolloff, but it's not dramatic. the eikon has an airier presentation overall. it feels less congested or thick. they're both surprisingly detailed up top. not hd800 detailed, but imo that set is a bit TOO detailed. i still have one, but i only use it for very very specific circumstances. higher pitch male voices like robert plant, axl rose, bruce dickinson, dave mustaine have more extension and authority on the eikon. the atticus is softer, though fine detail seems to be about the same. you just have to focus a bit more with the atticus since it presents more softly/less forward.

all in all they're both really great headphones for rock, you just need to determine with signature suites you best. do you like a slightly more neutral sound with more balance from top to bottom (eikon), or do you like a more mid focused sound with extra warmth (atticus)?

as for amps, i became very frustrated that they seem to have opposite amp preferences. the atticus really liked the violectric v100 and rs-08 i was using that the time. those are very neutral solid state amps with incredible dynamic range. the neutrality of the amps complimented the warmer atticus quite nicely. the eikon was a touch shouty in comparison. but!.... using my friend's woo wa3 and other tube amp i'm currently drawing a gigantic blank on, the eikon shined far more than the atticus. the warmth of the tube amps (And both were of the warm/syrupy/tubey variety) seemed to compliment the more neutral eikon better. the atticus in comparison was just too thick sounding, it was way too much of a good thing for these ears.

Making me extremely happy about picking Atty. I am sensitive to those frequencies too. Can’t wait to hear all that warmth with bluegrass and the acoustic music I love. I want acoustic guitars to sound as warm as they do when I play them on stage!

Really interesting what you said about amps. Was really looking at the Valhalla 2 for the Atty but I wonder if I’ll find it too syrupy. I know the Valhalla is leaner as tubes go, but it’s still tubes!

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #6,830 of 9,714
Making me extremely happy about picking Atty. I am sensitive to those frequencies too. Can’t wait to hear all that warmth with bluegrass and the acoustic music I love. I want acoustic guitars to sound as warm as they do when I play them on stage!

Really interesting what you said about amps. Was really looking at the Valhalla 2 for the Atty but I wonder if I’ll find it too syrupy. I know the Valhalla is leaner as tubes go, but it’s still tubes!
i havent listened to the valhalla 2 and atticus, but i have spent many many hours with it and the hd650, and i didnt find it syrupy at all. honestly it was almost solid state sounding. very clear, airy, and precise. i liked the hd650 on it, though i found it slightly harsh up top. but i could see myself liking the atticus on it as well, as from my experience, what the hd650 likes, amp-wise, the atticus likes. i havent found an amp yet that sounded good with one and not the other. very different from the atticus/eikon, which seem to like very different amps.

edit - i pulled some bluegrass on tidal as i was typing, and it sounds GOOD on the atticus. i think you're gonna like it! congrats on your atticus, let us know how you like it once it arrives!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #6,832 of 9,714
I listen to a lot of heavy metal on my Eikon - the bass on Symphony of Destruction is insane.
one of my all time favorite albums, and my favorite megadeth album from a recording studio quality standpoint. from a pure music standpoint, rust in peace forever! :wink:

yeah that track is quite epic with the atticus as well, so much power and punch. if only rust in peace was recorded so well....

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #6,833 of 9,714
From what you said, Atticus.

+1 for the Atticus, based on your post. I also listen to rock primarily (60's and "forward", early metal, some progressive) and liked the Atticus more than the Auteur. I haven't heard an Eikon or Aeolus yet, though. I enjoy my Atticus a lot. The Atticus sound is rich and full, warm and revealing and lots of fun to listen to. A good pair of head phones to come home to and sink into your recliner with. It's easy to relax into their sound. Ahh.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #6,834 of 9,714
Hi guys, I just got a used Eikon Padauk and while I have to get used to it's signature I can see that it is a great headphone. I do feel however that it is really held back right now by the mediocre cable, so I need your help...

I am driving the out of my Sony ta-zh1es, and I have a really nice wywires platinum cable, terminated to balanced 4-pin xlr. The headphone connection is 3.5mm

So my question is, do you know of any F3.5mm to F4-pin adapters that won't break the bank?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #6,835 of 9,714
Pads for Atticus? I bought a Used Atticus. They Come with Stock pads Ori wildleder pads. Maybe I Must Buy new pads . But I don‘t find in ZMF Store Atticus pads. Wich pads shouldt I buy. Thank for help

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #6,839 of 9,714
Posted these about a week ago and are finishing a few sets of Eikon's today in the Camphor burl. What's awesome is how unique each set is. I really wish I could keep them all sometimes!
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals
_DSC1893.JPG _DSC1911.JPG

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #6,840 of 9,714
Posted these about a week ago and are finishing a few sets of Eikon's today in the Camphor burl. What's awesome is how unique each set is. I really wish I could keep them all sometimes!
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals
you could keep them all, you just wouldnt make any money! :wink:

those are incredible looking, btw. so much nicer than all the plastics and simple metals being used by other manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back