ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #5,656 of 9,714
can someone tell me how much change in midbass will i get from suede pad(eikon) ? thanks!

If you want less mid-bass and more of a "clean sound I'd recommend the suede Ori pads. If you want less midbass and more of a "warm" or girthy sound go for the Eikon suede pads. The larger surface area of the Eikon suede keeps more lower mids for a fuller more robust sound. The Ori suede pads are the cleanest of the pads for the atticus because they remove a bit of that lower mids/upper bass in the area of 200-350 HZ whereas with the Eikon suede it's a more linear slope in that area.

And yes if you want a truly neutral experience auteur will always be more neutral regardless of pad.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Mar 30, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #5,657 of 9,714
Which sounds better out of Chord mojo?

The Atticus sounds very good straight from the Chord Mojo.

28305428389_c4d0e6a0f5_b.jpg

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #5,660 of 9,714
Legitimately can't tell if the MCTH is the latest flavor of the month or the second coming of budget tube jesus. I haven't seen hardly any negative reviews or impressions yet, or at least not anything negative which isn't completely fair for something costing $250. that's usually a good sign of audiophile gold. Seems like everywhere I look people are raving about it. It's making me really regret going for the Vali 2.

On the note of the Mojo, even as someone who owns one and enjoys it thoroughly, it's kind of upsetting to me that something so small can sound so good. Out of an Eitr, it lags only very slightly behind the Modi Multibit/Magni 3 combo with dynamic headphones. I tried Mojo > Magni 3 with my ZMF Classics (T50RP mods) and honestly felt like the Mojo powered them more cleanly and effortlessly alone (could be double amping?).

Mar 30, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #5,661 of 9,714
On the note of the Mojo, even as someone who owns one and enjoys it thoroughly, it's kind of upsetting to me that something so small can sound so good. Out of an Eitr, it lags only very slightly behind the Modi Multibit/Magni 3 combo with dynamic headphones. I tried Mojo > Magni 3 with my ZMF Classics (T50RP mods) and honestly felt like the Mojo powered them more cleanly and effortlessly alone (could be double amping?).

There’s some weird/wonderful voodoo synergy going on between Mojo and T50RPs... I found it beat a lot of other, much more expensive amps driving my MrSpeakers Alpha Primes direct - it’s the best amp I’ve found for the APs! Sounds phenomenal.

Dunc

Mar 30, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #5,662 of 9,714
Legitimately can't tell if the MCTH is the latest flavor of the month or the second coming of budget tube jesus. I haven't seen hardly any negative reviews or impressions yet, or at least not anything negative which isn't completely fair for something costing $250. that's usually a good sign of audiophile gold. Seems like everywhere I look people are raving about it. It's making me really regret going for the Vali 2.

Yeah, in that case it is sort of unnecessarily extending the signal chain. Mojo never ceases to amaze me.

Here’s the thing about MCTH: it’s just sweet and buttery smooth. Where it stands within your collection for resolution or staging or whatever doesn’t even matter, you will end up going back to it for the sound. There are lots of people out there who own Utopias and LCD-4s and whatever other high-end headphone, but still love to go have a nice session with their HD650 now and again. The MCTH is the same in many ways - it can be appreciated by audiophiles of all levels because it just sounds damn good.

Mar 30, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #5,663 of 9,714
relatable :frowning2: . it's been 10 days for me, regreting.. and yes it's definitely the mid-bass, i tried EQ it down about -2db and suddenly i'm in love. though i prefer not to use EQ. i'm gonna try suded pad (waiting for stock) and if it doesn't help i will go for auteur.

can someone tell me how much change in midbass will i get from suede pad(eikon) ? thanks!

Yeah I think it is important for people considering Atticus to realize it is specifically mid-bass emphasized and is an unapologetically not neutral headphone. As much as I love Atticus, for instance I would never recommend someone use it as their one and only headphone. But one thing great about it is that it really has potential to be tweaked around its base character of being a warm, bassy, mid forward headphone. There is always pad swapping, EQ, and source pairings. Also, I think most owners here prefer Atticus on tubes. I know I do. In fact, most people find that Atticus is more source picky than even Eikon. I find that with my solid states they will often emphasize the mid-bass slam and it can almost become too thick and congested. But with fast, clean tubes I think it gives better grip on the low end and tightens the sound as well as adds more air and spacing around instruments. Everything feels more open and clean, but still maintaining that heavy bass slam and punch, along with those rich and warm mids. It can take some time to experiment, but Atticus has a really special character when you understand it and how to make it work for you.

Yeah, in that case it is sort of unnecessarily extending the signal chain. Mojo never ceases to amaze me.

Here’s the thing about MCTH: it’s just sweet and buttery smooth. Where it stands within your collection for resolution or staging or whatever doesn’t even matter, you will end up going back to it for the sound. There are lots of people out there who own Utopias and LCD-4s and whatever other high-end headphone, but still love to go have a nice session with their HD650 now and again. The MCTH is the same in many ways - it can be appreciated by audiophiles of all levels because it just sounds damn good.

I know I keep hearing so much about MCTH and I'm tempted to try it even though I really don't need another tube amp. And I haven't heard anyone say it pairs badly with any headphone yet. The only derailment in the hype train for it has been the introduction of Lyr 3. Obviously not the same price range, but early impressions seem like it might even beat out MCTH across the board. Noted as being a very fast, tight, and clean sounding hybrid I imagine it would pair really well with Atticus too. Always cool to see more solid options pop up in the budget friendly sector.

Anyways, can't go wrong with ZMF and tubes, I'm loving my Friday afternoon...

vLXwvZkl.jpg

Mar 30, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #5,664 of 9,714
Yeah I think it is important for people considering Atticus to realize it is specifically mid-bass emphasized and is an unapologetically not neutral headphone. As much as I love Atticus, for instance I would never recommend someone use it as their one and only headphone. But one thing great about it is that it really has potential to be tweaked around its base character of being a warm, bassy, mid forward headphone. There is always pad swapping, EQ, and source pairings. Also, I think most owners here prefer Atticus on tubes. I know I do. In fact, most people find that Atticus is more source picky than even Eikon. I find that with my solid states they will often emphasize the mid-bass slam and it can almost become too thick and congested. But with fast, clean tubes I think it gives better grip on the low end and tightens the sound as well as adds more air and spacing around instruments. Everything feels more open and clean, but still maintaining that heavy bass slam and punch, along with those rich and warm mids. It can take some time to experiment, but Atticus has a really special character when you understand it and how to make it work for you.

I know I keep hearing so much about MCTH and I'm tempted to try it even though I really don't need another tube amp. And I haven't heard anyone say it pairs badly with any headphone yet. The only derailment in the hype train for it has been the introduction of Lyr 3. Obviously not the same price range, but early impressions seem like it might even beat out MCTH across the board. Noted as being a very fast, tight, and clean sounding hybrid I imagine it would pair really well with Atticus too. Always cool to see more solid options pop up in the budget friendly sector.

Anyways, can't go wrong with ZMF and tubes, I'm loving my Friday afternoon...

vLXwvZkl.jpg
padauk auteur....*drools*

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #5,666 of 9,714
Hearing great things about the Lyr 3 too

Just got a Lyr 3 in. I'll be comparing it with the MCTH soon. I'll make sure and use my Atticus as well.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #5,667 of 9,714
Which generally pairs better with both the E&A ...

I'm thinking about a Questyle CMA i400 or an ifi micro iDSD Black label ...

I'm looking for a desktop DAC/amp combo for my kitchen table and/or for my enclosed backyard deck ...

Also been researching the ifi pro iDSD but that is a bit too costly...and also the Mytek Liberty specs look good for the price range I'm shooting for

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #5,668 of 9,714

I'm looking for a desktop DAC/amp combo for my kitchen table and/or for my enclosed backyard deck ...

Also been researching the ifi pro iDSD but that is a bit too costly...and also the Mytek Liberty specs look good for the price range I'm shooting for
might be able to find a metrum amethyst around that price range, though as an NOS dac it's probably better suited for just the Eikon

Mar 31, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #5,669 of 9,714

All of those are great sounding devices. I’d give you more in-depth thoughts about the Liberty, but I just started burning it in, so it is probably going to continue to open up a bit (it only has like 2hrs on it).

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #5,670 of 9,714

I'm thinking about a Questyle CMA i400

I had the 600i,which is the big brother of the 400i,in my home for a review and was not impressed with the pairing of it and the Atticus.YMMV

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back