Attenuator static or clicking noise
Dec 8, 2011 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

capone

Aka: johnwmclean, bignurse.
I have a problem with with my Beta22 balanced amp. The attenuator a khozmo quad, has static and clicking noises when turning the volume, once the volume is stationery they is no noise.
It it most evident and mainly in two positions at the lower setting of the volume, steps 6-7 from memory. It’s not a hum noise, I’m pretty sure it’s not a ground connection.
When no input is connected to the amp and I turn the volume up there is no noise whatsoever. I’ve checked the dc-offset of my buffalo32 and it’s in the 0.5mv range from the balanced outputs.
I’m thinking it’s the Khozmo...

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:

When no input is connected to the amp and I turn the volume up there is no noise whatsoever. I’ve checked the dc-offset of my buffalo32 and it’s in the 0.5mv range from the balanced outputs.

I’m thinking it’s the Khozmo...

Its different levels of DC going through the amp. If it were the stepper the same thing would happen with or without the source connected. 

Are the measurements on the buffalo32 phase to phase or phase to ground? Everything should be 0.000mV. You can verify this by wiring small film caps in series with the inputs (before the stepper, does not require opening the B22 or the BS32) and seeing if the problem goes away. If it does I'm right. Fix the B32. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 3
If it were a normal carbon pot, I'd say hit it with contact cleaner (that kind of rustling/clicking static noise is common as gunk builds up over time on the resistor) ... but I'm not sure if that would have a similar effect on a stepped attenuator - though I wouldn't see any harm in getting some contact cleaner on there and rotating through the steps a few times to see if that helps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back