ATTENTION PLEASE: Altec Lansing's IM716 = IM616 with the 'pod'?
Jul 22, 2007 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone prove they feature exactly same drivers and earpieces?

I must say MANY people had this question in mind and even searching head-fi thoroughly didn't help me find out.

Thank you!

---
I'm sorry for almost vulgarily begging for your attention but I'm a little upset that there are 2 threads among 20 most active ones, dedicated to
"headphones for metalhead ~$100" which people post instead of just SEARCHING!

In fact my post cound would be well over 500 if I asked every stupid headphone-related question I have in mind instead of doing some independent research...

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Nobody has a clue?
Knowing the real difference between im616 and im716
would be pretty benefitial to the whole community, remember that those two are designed by ETYMOTIC...

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 7
The only that can answer this question is Dwilson from etymotics, drop him a PM if you want...

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only that can answer this question is Dwilson from etymotics, drop him a PM if you want...

Are you sure? I bet the phones aren't made in Ety's facility. He might know about it anyway but isn't it rude, asking about a product the company designed but is not producing?

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 7
I have a few pair of IM716's (from when they were on sale at Amazon cheap) and followed the thread on what model of ETY's the 716's were similar to.

The only way to know for sure is to do something like people have done with the KSC drivers for the 35,75, Porta and Sporta:take them apart and compare the actual drivers.

Of course this is almost impossible unless someone wants to destroy (all of) the IEM's in question to get to the internals.There was much debate in the original 716 threads.

What I took from the mess was the IM616 was closest to the ETY 6i, and the IM716 was closest to the ETY 4P/S.

Since the HK's look very close to the IM716's, another guess is that ETY "manages" the manufacture of the clones that use their drivers. The manufacturer also packages the IEM's where they are made and they merely put the HK name on the package.

I will now wait for another ETY denial that ".....the parts are entirely different..." in the ETY vs. the HK's.

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure? I bet the phones aren't made in Ety's facility. He might know about it anyway but isn't it rude, asking about a product the company designed but is not producing?

How do you know they are not made in Etys lab? Maybe they are, and if they designed them, not sure why they may consider as rude wanting to know what the differences are?

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I took from the mess was the IM616 was closest to the ETY 6i, and the IM716 was closest to the ETY 4P/S.

That's what I came away with as well.

I'm sure it was designed in Ety's lab, but I'd think manufacturing would be Asia or Mexico for cost. "Made in America" requires it to be at least assembled in America. The pieces can be from all over the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back